Vidiots of the word - UNITE!

• Thread starter William Blake Bradbury
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Blake Bradbury

I recently visited the Web page of an absolute writer - Mr. Eraser/Baron - who commented on my piece and, fellow vincompoop that I am, read a slight though spasmodically witty piece of his on video game addiction. I, to, am a "terminal...vidiot" whose addiction followed a similar evolution. Although, for me, I'm hopelessly enthralled to the bubbly charms of Kirby's Adventures for classic NES.

How about you folks? What's the most addictive and engaging video game you've ever played?

Note: Modern, soulless video entertainment excluded. This question is for classicists only. And NO SEGA!

CindyBidar

Without a doubt, it has to be the Legend of Zelda. The original NES version--circa 1983--not the newer ones. (The original is now available for your pc, at dozens of abandonware sites across the net :) ) Now I'm addicted to Yahoo Games. I cannot understand the current fascination with the ultra-realistic, blood and gore role playing games of today. Give me a fun little cutesy game over that crap any day.

maestrowork

For me it's LodeRunner on the Mac Plus, circa 1987. I was a young pup then, and not really into games. But that one hooked me. The fun thing was that you could build your own levels -- and boy, did I make some really, really, really difficult ones.

aka eraser

I recently dl-d an emulator and ROM and have spent MANY happy hours playing my favourite NES game of all time: Bandit Kings of Ancient China. I bought 3 NES consoles over the years and carefully nursed my original copy (and it's all-important battery) for 9+ years before it died.

I'll eventually get to the old Dragon Warrior games too.

Computers are nifty. :)

ChunkyC

Re: Arrr

I'm with Cindy. Can't stand games like Doom. Give me the old arcade classic Space Invaders any day.

CindyBidar

Give me the old arcade classic Space Invaders any day.

My very first, ahh, computer was a typewriter looking thing from atari. It used a small tv as a monitor, and a cassette tape for back up. The only thing it did really well was play Space Invaders. :grin

poppyhullings

At home: Q*bert :grin

At the arcade: Dragon's Lair :hat

A few more, but those are the main ones I remember.

writerscut

Super Mario Bros...the original, now I'm not a video game nut like some people...but that game is ADDICTIVE!

rtilryarms

I was an Astroids champ but gave it up when Donkey Kong showed up. Of course these were console games.

I'm with Cindy and Chunks, I like Pogo Hearts and Yahoo Pool and Gin. Pyramids every so often and Candyland.com Bowling and Golf.

Sheesh, that looks bad in print!

LiamJackson

Favorite arcade game- Missile Command. (I am the all-time Champion of the Known Universe)

Favorite console game (RPG)- Resident Evil

Favorite console game (non-RPG)- tie: Othello and Chess Master

Favorite PC game- Panzer General

ChunkyC

Re: Game

Another fun one was Joust, where you rode flying ostrich-looking things and tried to pick up giant eggs for points. Carpal tunnel syndrome is nothing compared to how your wrist felt after hours of hammering the button that flapped the thing's wings.

Then there were sports, like the two player baseball game where one player would pitch to the other. Loved that one.

tfdswift

I like Spyro and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. Although I was addicted for quite some time to Harvest Moon for N64. I don't like the fighting ones or blood and gore. On the original NES I played Zelda and beat the game twice. When you beat it once it changes things around to beat it again. I also raced the clock once to see how long it would take me to beat the Super Mario for N64 - it took 4 hrs and 12 minutes:party

~~Tammy

“Today is the best day. Yesterday is gone forever. Tomorrow will never arrive.” ~ David Wolfe

maestrowork

Pong? Katie, you're too young to remember Pong.

I also love Tektris and whatever varietions of it. I'm playing "Jewels" on my cell phone and I can't stop...

aka eraser

RBI Baseball on the old NES was fun too. And I remember Tetris marathons that lasted til my eyes squizzled.

ChunkyC

Pong was awesome. How 'bout a game, Macalish?

9.gif

macalicious731

Pong? Katie, you're too young to remember Pong.

Ray, my grandma had THE version hooked up to one of her old television sets.

It was glorious.

(oh, Ray, you mean 'bejeweled'? I'm addicted to MSN version)

maestrowork

Yes, Bejeweled. I play it on my cell phone EVERY time I have to wait for something.

Cary

Gamin...

Ive never played video games....(how cromagnon of me...) But in the arcade I was the 'Galaga' Queen !!!:hat
Loved those lil space ships, bombs an all !!! Yeeha !!!
Carybelle

poppyhullings

Re: Gamin...

Another fun one was Joust, where you rode flying ostrich-looking things and tried to pick up giant eggs for points. Carpal tunnel syndrome is nothing compared to how your wrist felt after hours of hammering the button that flapped the thing's wings.

Yep, I remember that one. Remember when you slid to a stop, the ostrich's feet made a screeching sound like brakes. :)

I remember all kinds of video games from the 80's...arcade and home versions.

Does anyone remember Crazy Climber? You were a guy climbing up the side of a building and people would throw potted plants out the window and stuff to knock you down.

What about Dig Dug? Space Fury?

Oh, and don't forget another with a lot of buttons...Defender.

Okay, I better stop, I could go on and on all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.