20 Things You Didn't Know About Death

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Okay, maybe you did know – but I sure didn't (at least not all of them). From the September 06 issue of Discover, here's a morbidly interesting list to tickle the imagination of you M/T/S writers:
20 Things You Didn't Know About... Death
Newsflash: we're all going to die. But here are 20 things you didn't know about kicking the bucket.
By LeeAundra Temescu
DISCOVER Vol. 27 No. 09 | September 2006
  1. The practice of burying the dead may date back 350,000 years, as evidenced by a 45-foot-deep pit in Atapuerca, Spain, filled with the fossils of 27 hominids of the species Homo heidelbergensis, a possible ancestor of Neanderthals and modern humans.
  2. Never say die: There are at least 200 euphemisms for death, including "to be in Abraham's bosom," "just add maggots," and "sleep with the Tribbles" (a Star Trek favorite).
  3. No American has died of old age since 1951.
  4. That was the year the government eliminated that classification on death certificates.
  5. The trigger of death, in all cases, is lack of oxygen. Its decline may prompt muscle spasms, or the "agonal phase," from the Greek word agon, or contest.
  6. Within three days of death, the enzymes that once digested your dinner begin to eat you. Ruptured cells become food for living bacteria in the gut, which release enough noxious gas to bloat the body and force the eyes to bulge outward.
  7. So much for recycling: Burials in America deposit 827,060 gallons of embalming fluid—formaldehyde, methanol, and ethanol—into the soil each year. Cremation pumps dioxins, hydrochloric acid, sulfur dioxide, and carbon dioxide into the air.
  8. Alternatively . . . A Swedish company, Promessa, will freeze-dry your body in liquid nitrogen, pulverize it with high-frequency vibrations, and seal the resulting powder in a cornstarch coffin. They claim this "ecological burial" will decompose in 6 to 12 months.
  9. Zoroastrians in India leave out the bodies of the dead to be consumed by vultures.
  10. The vultures are now dying off after eating cattle carcasses dosed with diclofenac, an anti-inflammatory used to relieve fever in livestock.
  11. Queen Victoria insisted on being buried with the bathrobe of her long-dead husband, Prince Albert, and a plaster cast of his hand.
  12. If this doesn't work, we're trying in vitro! In Madagascar, families dig up the bones of dead relatives and parade them around the village in a ceremony called famadihana. The remains are then wrapped in a new shroud and reburied. The old shroud is given to a newly married, childless couple to cover the connubial bed.
  13. During a railway expansion in Egypt in the 19th century, construction companies unearthed so many mummies that they used them as fuel for locomotives.
  14. Well, yeah, there's a slight chance this could backfire: English philosopher Francis Bacon, a founder of the scientific method, died in 1626 of pneumonia after stuffing a chicken with snow to see if cold would preserve it.
  15. For organs to form during embryonic development, some cells must commit suicide. Without such programmed cell death, we would all be born with webbed feet, like ducks.
  16. Waiting to exhale: In 1907 a Massachusetts doctor conducted an experiment with a specially designed deathbed and reported that the human body lost 21 grams upon dying. This has been widely held as fact ever since. It's not.
  17. Buried alive: In 19th-century Europe there was so much anecdotal evidence that living people were mistakenly declared dead that cadavers were laid out in "hospitals for the dead" while attendants awaited signs of putrefaction.
  18. Eighty percent of people in the United States die in a hospital.
  19. If you can't make it here . . . More people commit suicide in New York City than are murdered.
  20. It is estimated that 100 billion people have died since humans began.
Click the Discover website to see some in-list links, their sources and suggested further reading.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cool. very interesting stuff. ANd BTW- glad to see you posting again. ;)

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, those are pretty interesting. Thanks!

I say on my blog: my mind is a junk room. Someday, I'll find a purpose for all this stuff.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Death

Great stuff. One I stumbled across I found interesting is this:

Guanajuato.
The half-day tour includes one of the last working silver mines (though not a trip down the shaft), a trip to the Pipila statue—whose scale and local importance are similar to the U.S.'s Statue of Liberty—and also a unique and macabre Guanajuato attraction, the Panteon.

This is a museum of mummified human remains—not swaddled Egyptian style, but exposed for all to see. Apparently, some sections of the local cemetery are so dry that the bodies are preserved. And since the city is short on space, those whose relatives can't afford to keep paying rent on the grave are exhumed—their desiccated bodies shown off in illuminated glass cases along the dark halls. The mummies—they look like leather sculptures—show how differently we greet death. Some seem to scream; others are relaxed, finally at peace.

Renting graves? If some of the US cemeteries get wind of this, we're all in trouble. "Sorry, I know times are tough, but if you can't pay the rent, out your beloved goes."

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
Interesting info - thanks for sharing :) Of course, one I see missing is that Death rides a horse named Binky :p

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Very interesting, I suppose death fascinates all of us who write in this genre. If you make it to Paris visit the Catacombs, an underground labyrinth filled with neatly stacked bones and skulls. Some find the place uninteresting, I imagine most of us here would find it wonderfully evocative.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I visited the catacombs in Roma. Very stinky. No seriously. Dark and dirty and smelly. Dead smells like dead, even at centuries old.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
Jamesaritchie said:
Great stuff. One I stumbled across I found interesting is this:
Guanajuato.
The half-day tour includes one of the last working silver mines (though not a trip down the shaft), a trip to the Pipila statue—whose scale and local importance are similar to the U.S.'s Statue of Liberty—and also a unique and macabre Guanajuato attraction, the Panteon.

This is a museum of mummified human remains—not swaddled Egyptian style, but exposed for all to see. Apparently, some sections of the local cemetery are so dry that the bodies are preserved. And since the city is short on space, those whose relatives can't afford to keep paying rent on the grave are exhumed—their desiccated bodies shown off in illuminated glass cases along the dark halls. The mummies—they look like leather sculptures—show how differently we greet death. Some seem to scream; others are relaxed, finally at peace.

I've been to this museum. It's incredibly fascinating. There's acutally one mummy (if my memory serves correctly :p) there that was buried alive. The posture is agonizing to look at for too long.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Museum

Serenity said:
I've been to this museum. It's incredibly fascinating. There's acutally one mummy (if my memory serves correctly :p) there that was buried alive. The posture is agonizing to look at for too long.

ray Bradbury has a short story written around this museum, and it's a pretty darned good story. I may have to take a trip there one of these days.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Jamesaritchie said:
ray Bradbury has a short story written around this museum, and it's a pretty darned good story. I may have to take a trip there one of these days.
"The Next in Line" - you're right, it's a really good story!!!

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently bodies are taking longer to putrefy these days because we eat so many preservatives in food that they're preserving us too.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
5. The trigger of death, in all cases, is lack of oxygen.

I've always said, the secret to life is to keep breathing!

Robert Toy

Alex Bravo said:
I've read that 98% of all earth species have already become extinct.
And it is most likely attributed to the remaining 2%...:D

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
extinct.

Alex Bravo said:
I've read that 98% of all earth species have already become extinct.

And I'm darned glad to be rid of a very high percentage. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm extremely glad I don't have to contend with velociraptors and [SIZE=-1]Tyrannosaurus rex[/SIZE] when going on a camping trip. Or even the sabre-toothed tiger.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
20. It is estimated that 100 billion people have died since humans began.

So, the living is truly a minority.

Akiahara

Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
And I'm darned glad to be rid of a very high percentage. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm extremely glad I don't have to contend with velociraptors and [SIZE=-1]Tyrannosaurus rex[/SIZE] when going on a camping trip. Or even the sabre-toothed tiger.
I don't know... it would truly be survival of the fittest.

Great, natural population control.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
fittest

Akiahara said:
I don't know... it would truly be survival of the fittest.

Great, natural population control.

I'm all for survival of the fittest, unless the unfit is me.

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Jamesaritchie said:
...man...

We could at least stick t-rex in a zoo -- but the mosquitos have got to go!

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
And it doesn't matter how many people you have with you at the appointed time, everybody takes that trip-- alone.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
mosquitoes.

Ordinary_Guy said:
...man...

We could at least stick t-rex in a zoo -- but the mosquitos have got to go!

I was afraid to mention mosquitoes. They gang up on me everytime I take a trip into the back yonder as it is. If they hear that I want them to go extinct, they'll come from miles around to get some extra blood.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
For some reason this reminds me of one of my favourite Woody Allen lines (paraphrased): "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying."

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Machines of Death

Grim subject, I know, but morbidly fascinating.

In the same vein, Popular Mechanics did a story on the techniques of execution. After a little intro (and some stat graphics), we get an explanation of hanging:
Hanging

Dating back more than 2000 years, hanging is quick and painless–when done correctly. The rope is first boiled in water to remove elasticity, and then it's installed on the gallows, where it is pulled and stretched to remove any remaining elasticity. The familiar noose–13 coils wrapped around a loop–is placed around the condemned's neck with the knot positioned behind the left ear.

The condemned is positioned on a trap door. He wears a hood, and his arms and legs are bound to prevent his gaining a hand- or foothold on the gallows floor. The trap door is sprung by a lever and, ideally, the fall causes the rope to dislocate the third or fourth vertebra. Death is instantaneous.

The problem with hanging is that the drop length, hence the rope length, is critical. The desired result requires 1260 ft.-lb. of force to snap the neck. If the drop is too short, the victim strangles–a horrific episode that can last up to 15 minutes. Too long a drop risks decapitation–an equally unappetizing event. To calculate the correct drop length (in feet), the equation is 1260 divided by the victim's weight...
The article goes on to talk about the electric chair, the firing squad, the gas chamber and lethal injection. It's enough to give a terminal case of the willies...