slob chic

Status
Not open for further replies.

cree

Registered
Reaction score
If you work in your house, look up from your keyboard and glance around. What's the most embarassing thing you have in your vision right now? The thing you wouldn't want people to see?

My desk alone has the following items vying for space on its surface: eight unwashed coffee cups, two candy wrappers for Oreo Minis, a toenail clipper, unpaid bills, the stick to a dum-dum lollipop stuck to the top of a Diet coke can, a dictionary, and a plastic figurine of a Bratz doll with-the-too-big plastic head, the last item likely placed there by my daughter as a cry for help - surely there's a sea of laundry clogging the utility room door, crappy food in the fridge, and the dog has to piss.

So what's on your desk/workspace? Someone has to beat the plastic big-head doll.

Excuse me while I go clean.

Reaction score
NY - Out on "The Island" spring and summer - in HE
How about a green leather riding crop with a red leather rose on the end-and a black leather cat o nine tails - both given to me by a Dominatrix I interviewed for one of my books. I keep the crop in a vase and everyone just thinks its a pretty leather rose. Little do they know. The cat o nines kind of just dangles from the corner of my monitor. Anyone wanna drop by? I think that beats a Bratz doll - and yes photos are available on request.

earthshoes

Not User Friendly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
earthshoes41.blogspot.com
Where do I start? A well-chewed somewhat gooey dog toy I took away from the German Shepherd and the bloodhound mix earlier because they were arguing over it, a pile of unpaid bills, mountains of unorganized cds, a kitten sleeping on an empty plate (he licked the peanut butter and jelly off first), and the first draft of my novel in a big blue binder.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Let's see, my magic mirror spies in front of my laptop:
two nekkid barbies, a clutch of unsharpened pencils, dying zinnias in a baby food jar, legos, a clay aromatherapy pendant I need to finish, a candle surrounded by pip berries and putka pods and a brush. Time to get the bulldozer!

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A fluffy, pink kitten toy that is staring upside-down at me, a nice Pilot pen, a baby sock, a crumpled lottery ticket from last November, some bills, my Bible, a piece of hamburger bun from the cheeseburger I just ate, a plastic bucket full of Oxy-clean and a few Yogo wrappers, and on the floor around me is a doggy pull-toy, some writing I actually accomplished yesterday with the nice pen, and an empty bill envelope.

That's the surface layer. Not sure about the next level of strata; I'm afraid to peek.

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
I feel so much better after reading about everyone else's piles of debris.

I've got a Seabreeze fan that needs to be put away, a new printer still in the box, the cat's toy that is no longer catnip-smelling and is therefore ignored, bills, cat treats, note pads, several pens and other writing instruments, afghans (blankets, not the dogs), a frisbee, and the cat is about to wander in and give me crap about why I haven't vacuumed lately. Also magazines of various types, my writing drafts, install cds for my computer, and a layer of dust you can write your name in.

Yes, I am proud.

Karen

cree

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for making me feel better! I managed to de-clutter the rest of the house, but my office wasn't part of the cleaning rampage. Since I started this thread, I've added to my desk: a scooby-doo Mystery Machine lunch box full of matchbox cars, a wad of papertowels, used to mop up the spill created by a toppled coffee cup (but certainly not thrown away after), a bottle of Febreze, and a pair of dirty underwear under the desk. Um, I guess I'll pick that last item up, since I felt a slight twinge of shame when I typed that in.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I feel better. On my desk: 90 pages of WIP, Notebook of scribblings, pen, 2 watches (only one runs) teddy bear, another notebook of scribbling, Diet Dr. Pepper, teddy bear and, ahem, a little dish of milk chocolate morsels. (I was gonna make cookies and didn't get around to it and now I've eaten up the chips.) Around the desk? Piles of books and papers. The desk is an embarassment.

cree

Registered
Reaction score
Soccer Mom, I just want to get to the point you are. Everything you listed is writing-related. I want to be that sensible, but it never really works out. Pass the morsels! I'm in need. :)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cree, the reason for that is that my desk is itty bitty: Think three feet long and two feet deep. There isn't room for anything else, except me and the teddy bear. He isn't the kids bear. he's mine. Since I'm writing children's lit now, he's my muse. :D

ETA: Join us in the Hooray for Chocolate Club!

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
I have a cleaning service on the way to do dusting from top to bottom; clean the glass, mirrors, windows, bathrooms and all the floors. Underneath (cabinets, closets, etc.) my house is very neat right now.

Why you may ask? My mother-in-law is coming for a week long visit day after tomorrow, first time in 4 years. She doesn't care how the house looks but it will make me more comfortable.

How did this miracle occur? It took us over 2 months of HARD work to get the underneath cleaned since we have been a construction zone for 4 years.

I'm just praying the clean/neat lasts until after she's gone so I'll really be able to enjoy it.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Uh, let's see: a telephone, a half-empty bottle of water, a box of tissues, an iced-tea-to-go, a pile of paperwork...oh, yeah, I'm at work, on lunch. Not too bad considering *some* of the cubicles around me - from here I can see: two vases of dead flowerrs, a dog leash, half a dirty blanket, a dish of rotting fruit, an empty donut box, a small pile of dead spiders, a pair of mis-matched mens shoes, a tie (thrown over the cubicle with the shoes - dare I look??) and a bunch of popcorn strewn on the floor. And that's just from here.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Um, my laptop, bf's laptop, some paper with notes for bf's class, and bf's binder. He's the messy one, not I.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Usually my desk is clean, but today it's not. Currently, a CD, camera, cup filled with Chuck E. Cheese tickets (kids' loot), a couple of dog treats, and my ball cap are all crowding my desk along with the norms, like my laptop, a few photos, and lots of books.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A pile of papers waiting to be dealt with (scanned, summarized, read, filed, eaten) which is approaching the cascade point of eight inches in height, one button off the pea coat my daughter wore in high school (she's a college senior), four CDs she burned me which need jewel cases, my pink-handled sewing scissors, my purple-handled regular scissors, my sewing machine, threaded with lime-green thread to match something it's already too cool to wear, a stack of CDs in jewel cases that our son borrowed, a small stuffed moose, a reel of lime-green ribbon, a reel of black satin ribbon used to repair a chair cushion, a bottle of wart remover, a paper fan, a large and a small spiral notebook, a G2 finepoint pen, and back behind it all, where I could never reach them, a couple linear feet of reference books.

This is after I cleaned for company last month, too. You should've seen it before!

Maryn, messy

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
I'm sitting in my living room with my lap top because my office is too messy to use. There's piles of books and papers all over the place, unorganized notes scattered over the desktop, cords, disks and other assorted computer parts, pens (some working, most not), a couple of chocolate bars, 3 gummy tarantulas, multi-layers of dust on all the book shelves, clouds of cat hair everywhere, cobwebs on the walls and ceiling, dust bunnies under everything, two cats in the closet, one cat on top of the filing cabinets, and two on the bookcase under the window.

Do I win for the messiest work space?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
humm...let's see....

PostIts all over the place. Ditto notecards. Three toys I confiscated from the dog because she chewed holes in them. Cat treats. Dog treats. My pc, my laptop, a phone. Earrings and watch. Dog's ear drops. Pens. Lots of pens. A DVD. A book. More books in a stacked pile. Oh, and my makeup bag. And antacids. And a Diet Peach Snapple.

I am a desk slob.

Last edited:

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Thank goodness I picked that particular item up this morning!

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
Oh, and I forgot to mention there's a phone somewhere, but I'll have to wait until it rings to find it, an extra large coffee cup from Country Style donuts that has fuzz growing in it, books are stacked in the bookcases instead of being put away properly, and the teeny tiny little garbage pail is overflowing with kleenex. I also just discovered that one of the cats threw up under my desk and what's that sticky stuff on the window ledge?

Status
Not open for further replies.