PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Link-Whores

nancy02664
09-02-2006, 01:45 AM
I just got an e-mail from someone with a baby name site. The gist of it was: "Hey, check out my new site! If you like it, link to it!" No mention of this new site linking to my site, of course.

I occasionally get ridiculous requests like these -- people who want me to link to them, but never offer to link back. Do you guys deal with this too? Do you ignore these people, or write back...?

I'm thinking I might write back later tonight, offering to add a link once I see he's already linked to me. Then again, I might not bother. Hm...

Medievalist
09-02-2006, 01:50 AM
Unless it's someone I know, I generally don't respond. It's unsolicited mail, and I only link to sites that are from people I have a real connection with or whose content is appropriate.

That said, there are some people I have on my list to link to, and haven't yet.

JennaGlatzer
09-02-2006, 04:35 AM
Yep. I ignore those, too. Rassenfrassen spammers!

veinglory
09-02-2006, 05:08 AM
Indeed--the delete button.

L M Ashton
09-02-2006, 05:43 AM
Actually, I tend to SpamCop 'em.

But I'm just mean. :)

mdin
09-02-2006, 06:05 AM
I've been getting that a lot lately too. I usually ignore them. After I was put on that Blogs of Note list on Blogger I got about 10 emails from people demanding to know how I did it and if I could put in a good word for them. Yeah. I'll get right on that.

briliantdonkey
09-02-2006, 09:24 AM
I agree , I just ignore them. I MAY go check out thier blog to see if I like it and that may end up leading to me linking to it, but not usually. If someone invites me to come SEE thier blog that is another thing entirely. However, playing the 'you link to me and I will link to you' or 'you comment on my blog and I will comment on yours' game is kind of like fishing for a compliment in my book. Even if you DO get it, it is pretty much worthless.

just my two cents

INK

L M Ashton
09-02-2006, 09:51 AM
If you (the generic sweeping generalization of 'you' with no indication to anyone actually present) contact me without having looked at my site and/or even knowing my name, then how do you even have a clue whether I'm worth linking to or I'll think you're worth link to?

And that's the majority of the requests I get, and that's why I treat them like spam.

But even the rare one where the person actually looks at the site and knows my name, demanding that I link first is, to me, childish and manipulative. Seriously, if you like my site enough, then you should want to link to it regardless. If you don't, then you shouldn't want to regardless. That, to me, is the bottom line.

But don't try to manipulate me with "if you link to mine, I'll link to yours." Why should I? Dude, you contacted me. You begged for links, not me. You link first. Then I'll decide.

Medievalist
09-02-2006, 10:20 AM
If you (the generic sweeping generalization of 'you' with no indication to anyone actually present) contact me without having looked at my site and/or even knowing my name, then how do you even have a clue whether I'm worth linking to or I'll think you're worth link to?

I gotta say it's astonishing the range of people who think that medieval Celtic literature is just the thing to link to . . . makes no sense whatsoever, but it is astonishing.

nancy02664
09-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Seriously, if you like my site enough, then you should want to link to it regardless. If you don't, then you shouldn't want to regardless.
This is exactly how I feel.

I link to a bunch of sites, most of which don't link back to me, because I just really like visiting them. I've found that many people, once they see I'm sending them traffic, will be very nice and simply add a link back to me -- but I'd never expect them to do this.

I would love to be able to delete the e-mails I get, but most of the time I reply anyway, even if just to say "thanks, but no thanks." I know it's spam, I know it's worthless, but...I don't know. Compulsive Reply Syndrome, perhaps... :e2shrug:

Marilyn Braun
09-02-2006, 06:25 PM
I've had a few people email me requesting exchanging links- which I'm fine with provided the link is related to royalty. I understand that people want to get their site out there, I did the same thing (not with other blogs because I couldn't really find other royal blogs) with other sites and I found,for the most part, that people are fairly easy going regarding that.

But I don't take the approach of I link to you & you link to me, I just think it's tacky. I link to people because I enjoy their site and/or it's a good resource for royalty. If people want to reciprocate then that's fantastic! but I don't expect it.

I did have someone recently email me with a link to a site that sells royal books. I already have a link for Amazon on my site and I just think the fact that the person contacted me with this request shows that they didn't really pay attention to that. The amazon link is not for altruistic purposes, it was placed to make some money (although it hasn't, probably because of its location!). With this person contacting me and not offering anything in return for my advertising for them, I think that's just selfish.

FatTire
09-02-2006, 06:44 PM
I only wish I've had this problem. But alas, I have not.

Sury
09-02-2006, 07:57 PM
In my view, there's nothing wrong with emails requesting exchange of links. I have received such emails as well as sent them, and it has worked out rather well in all the cases for me. "You link to me, then I will link to you," is certainly obnoxious. But "I have linked to you and wouldn't mind if you did the same :tongue (yes, the smiley included)," isn't. I have done that; I never force/pressure the other person to link to me because I linked to their blog. At the same time, I do let them know that they are part of my blogroll. So far, everyone has been kind enough to link back.

In the end, having your blog on the blogroll of a person whom you have linked to, is a way to network. This is how blogging relationships are maintained. Otherwise, it's only a one-way deal, not a relationship.

Just my humble opinion. :)

Sury

robeiae
09-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Indeed--the delete button.

Well that's just great.

Back to the drawing board...

bsolah
09-03-2006, 12:54 PM
If it's a site I genuinely like, I'll link back, otherwise, I ignore the link. Also, there's a link to my linking policy on my blog sidebar, for people to read.

Kristen King
09-10-2006, 09:07 PM
I always link to sites I like, regardless of how I found them. I don't prohibit anyone from linking to me, but I don't return a link if I don't like a site, and I'll generally let folks know if I'm not linking back to them unless it's clearly an automated message.

Kristen