Can I just say ...

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
... that what I find difficult to accept, is that when you have gone to the effort of picking out, what you think should be the best agent (or publisher) for your work, and then you get a standard rejection, and then a few more...
I find it hard to continue thinking my work is any good.

I know we have our good and bad days, and I'm thrilled when I get a supportive hand written note, but still I find it difficult to clarify in my own mind, what makes numerous x agents not want your work, and then one y agent that does.

Do you get what I'm rambling about?

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
It is hard. It's really hard. And I think that is what makes the difference between writers and authors. A lot of authors stick it out because somewhere deep inside them they know their work is good. If you don't have that core belief, you just stop. I've seen a lot of people do both since I started frequenting this board.
Good Luck!

Maprilynne

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It's all a matter of taste. Not that that makes it any clearer. For example, there are certain films that when I see the trailer for I just know will be a horrible flop and a disaster of a movie only to discover the next week that it topped the box-office. And I seriously don't understand how. The good thing though is that it doesn't matter if 100 agents don't like your work, because all you need is one who does!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
agents

Not all agents sell to all publishers, and certainly not to every line a given publisher has. Just because an agent handles myserty fiction does not mean that agent kows much about every type of mystery, or has contacts at the right place for that particular book.

Just as a book must fit a given publisher perfectly, a book must also fit a given agent perfectly. Just because an agent says no to a book does not mean that book lacks quality. It can also mean that particular book is just outside that agent's ability to sell.

And, of course, having a query rejected over and over only means you need to write a better query. A book has been rejected only when and if an agent actually sees the book. Query letter rejections do not count.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Perseverance is the key. It is difficult, and it can be demoralizing and discouraging. Keep the faith, and keep learning and scrutinizing your work, but don't lose sight of who you are and what you can accomplish.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Really it was a daft thing to post, because I've read enough of the agents comments on this thread to realise there are loads of reasons why they might not accept your work, and not all of them are based on the quality of it.

It's just frustrating to send stuff out, when you think it is ready to go, and to select the best market you think, and then for it to get rejected.

If I was sending 'owt out, willy-nilly, then I could probably rationalise it better.

It's probably that every so often, self-doubt rears it's ugly head and kicks you right in the confidence.

It's not about queries in this instance, James. I tend to forget that other folk do a lot more querying than I do. I mainly send out PB's and humour articles, so the whole work goes out.

Saying that, every last one of the humor articles I've sent out, is still zooting around out there. Not one rejection, response ... nowt!

What do they say, indifference is the most painful of all. Certainly feels that way at the mo.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Dollywagon said:
Really it was a daft thing to post, because I've read enough of the agents comments on this thread to realise there are loads of reasons why they might not accept your work, and not all of them are based on the quality of it.

It's just frustrating to send stuff out, when you think it is ready to go, and to select the best market you think, and then for it to get rejected.

If I was sending 'owt out, willy-nilly, then I could probably rationalise it better.

It's probably that every so often, self-doubt rears it's ugly head and kicks you right in the confidence.

It's not about queries in this instance, James. I tend to forget that other folk do a lot more querying than I do. I mainly send out PB's and humour articles, so the whole work goes out.

Saying that, every last one of the humor articles I've sent out, is still zooting around out there. Not one rejection, response ... nowt!

What do they say, indifference is the most painful of all. Certainly feels that way at the mo.

It's really odd, but humor is one of the toughest sells there is. What's odd about it is that humor is always in high demand by the reading public. I susepct humor really is subjective, and you just have to find an agent who can't stop laughing.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And picture books are extremely brutal as a market, although I've heard it's starting to open up just a little bit. You couldn't prove it by me :D

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
So basically what you both are saying, is that I have painted myself into a nice little corner.

Hmm, cosy.