Building a Platform

BrianTubbs

Registered
Reaction score
As an aspiring nonfiction book writer and novelist, I find that the lack of a platform is the darkest cloud hanging over me. I've gotten some fairly good advice in other forums on this subject. I thought that the "goals and accomplishments" forum would be a good place to explain what I'm doing.

I would like to invite others to share what THEY are doing to build their platforms. Maybe we can benefit from sharing each other's experiences.

My passions are in American history and Christianity. I am a pastor, distance-learning seminary student, freelance writer, and former high school social studies teacher. Prior to all that, I worked as a lobbyist and public relations professional in the Washington DC nonprofit community.

I've had several articles published in newspapers and magazines - on a range of issues, including Hollywood political contributions, PETA, Founding Father George Mason, and Jesse Jackson. I need to focus. :)

I was also the Suite101.com Feature Writer / Contributing Editor for the American Revolution and Founding Era - a subject that I'm absolutely passionate about.

What I'm doing now....

1. I've set up two blogs:

http://briantubbs.blogspot.com
http://americanfounding.blogspot.com

They have decent content. I've been good in that department. But they have LITTLE in the way of traffic.

I don't have a clue what to do there - and don't understand RSS feeds and all the techno babble concerning blog promotion, etc.

2. I registered as a Content Producer with AssociatedContent.com and have already published several articles there.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/18184/brian_tubbs.html

So far...little traffic to my content, though.

3. I've submitted three articles to EZinearticles.com, which have been accepted. Presumably, this is a major article directory site - and my content will hopefully end up in newsletters, websites, etc. I'm not holding my breath, but every little bit helps.

4. I've applied to be the Suite101 editor for Protestantism. Suite101 reorganized itself last year, and my American Revolution section was phased out.

I am now considering my next steps.

Sorry for the long post. What are some of you doing to build your platform?

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Brian, you've already posted this thread in Writing Nonfiction Books and have gotten many responses. This forum is the wrong place for this thread. Thanks.

BrianTubbs

Registered
Reaction score
Frustrated response

Forgive me, but I have to admit that I'm a little frustrated by this response. According to the definition of this forum "Goals and Accomplishments," participants are supposed to "Discuss your writing goals and how you're reaching them." Right?

Well, one of MY goals is to build a platform. And I am sharing HOW I'm doing that.

I'm NOT so much asking for advice here in this thread. I've already received advice, as you pointed out. What I'm doing is inviting others to share how THEY are building their platforms.

I thought that idea would fit well within the scope of this forum. Is not building a platform a legitimate and worthwhile "goal"?

Forgive me, but...good grief!

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Sorry I frustrated you, Brian. But your thread title and most of your post was so similar to your previous thread (in the other forum) that it seemed misplaced and redundant. Good luck with establishing your platform and achieving your goals.

BrianTubbs

Registered
Reaction score
Well....

....you're not alone apparently in your opinion of my discussion threads.

A few of my recent threads have either been ignored or (in one case - now two) have drawn criticism.

At first, everyone was very helpful and supportive and encouraging. Now, the mood (at least in the context of my posts) has changed. It's very frustrating. I don't understand it.

And....now...in light of our exchange (particularly if others feel the way you do), I wouldn't be surprised if this thread falls flat too.

I'm almost at the point of dropping out of these boards. At the very least, I'm now very gun-shy about asking any questions or starting any new discussions.

Again....sorry to snap at you. I'm just a little discouraged right now.

BrianTubbs

Registered
Reaction score
Columns

I'm also preparing a package of six sample columns to submit to syndicates. I know that syndication is the "holy grail" of freelance writers, and that my odds are steep. But I am going to give it my best shot, knowing that becoming a syndicated columnist has to help "build a platform."

If none of the syndicates are interested, I'll at least have a package I can start sending out myself in hopes of self-syndication.

Bamponang

Registered
Reaction score
Brian

Í've been reading the threads you started and I must say you sound very enthusiastic about your writing goals and building a platform for your books.

I've had a tough time though responding to your questions because you approach building a platform very differently from me, and i wasn't sure whether what I had to say could actually help in any way. I know you've stated on this thread that you are not looking for advice, but let me share my experiences and what I learnt anyway.

For me, building a platform is not a goal in itself; it's the result of the writing that I do. It's also something that I expect to grow over time, and when I read your posts I can almost feel your impatience - like you want answers now so you can follow that formula. And frankly, I don't have one.

I’m conscious that my writing has to fit in with the long-term goal, but on a day-to-day basis, I just write to fulfill my business obligations/ supplement my salary/I enjoy it.

Starting a column

Kristen King and Talia mentioned in another thread that starting a column is a good way to get started, because a column allows you to consistently write on a subject and expand your readership as more publications pick it up. A blog also helps, but my feeling is that you are focussing on media that also require your proactive marketing efforts to build readership, instead of submitting to media your potential readers are already familiar with.

I decided to do the opposite and narrowed my scope down instead of expanding it, because my time and resources are limited ( as a single working mother) I pitch articles on my subject, starting local, expanding to regional and building relationships. I’ve had columns, but they didn’t necessarily expand my platform ( at the time) because I was too scattered in my approach.

What is working for me is publishing articles on a subject and aiming for repeat business with pubs that accepted initial articles. It’s easier to get repeat business from pubs if I write in line with their editorial calendar and needs, instead of trying to sell them a whole new product ( my column).

Another thing that has worked for me is capitalising on my work experience, even if i have moved on. For example, I’m a former communications manager with a lot of contacts in non-profit sector ( it was advocacy/lobby organisation) so it made sense that I propose a PR for NPOs book, and the publishers are interested because I know what i’m talking about, I know scope of sector and who would likely be interested. But as journalist, I also know the other side of PR. It’s a platform that already existsed; al I had to do was use it.

So what do you have in terms of experience that you are not using?

Offhand, I can see your PR experience benefiting your efforts to build platform. It seems to me as a former PR person you have a working knowledge of how media works. Consider yourself a client, and then pitch your stories as you would your client. Position yourself in these journalists’ mind as an expert on your subject. Send short statements in response to current affairs issues that are pertinent to your goals. Know which journalists in your cover your subject areas, read their articles, understand the perspectives they write from, give them what they are looking for.

I hope I gave you food for thought. Now I’d better get back to work. And Brian, please consider the advise we give to you and use what suits you. People take a lot of time ( form their business) to respond to your questions, and the impatience that you read from some of the posts is because you didn’t seem to be moving on and implementing what was spoken about. You just seemed to be stuck in a groove.....

BrianTubbs

Registered
Reaction score
Bamponang, you and I have some similar experiences in our background. I was indeed a pr guy for nonprofits. In a few cases, pr was but one of several responsibilities - but in at least one case, it was my primary duty. I was never passionate about what I was pr'ing for, though. But you did give me some food for thought in how I can take my past pr experience - and apply it to ministry (which I am passionate about) - i.e., public relations / marketing tips for churches, Christian schools, etc. So, thanks for that. You gave me a 'eureka' moment.

Also....you hit the nail on the head with the blog. You said: "A blog also helps, but my feeling is that you are focussing on media that also require your proactive marketing efforts to build readership, instead of submitting to media your potential readers are already familiar with." You are ABSOLUTELY correct! I knew that already, but your putting it that way really crystallized it in my mind.

Responding to your closing remarks.....I understand that, but I am also trying to make clear that I am taking action. The whole reason for posting this new thread was to convey to my fellow AbsoluteWrite enthusiasts that I am moving FORWARD, I am taking action, I am doing stuff. I particularly wanted to show this to people who HAD taken the time to offer suggestions to me. Those suggestions did NOT fall on deaf ears.

Again, this thread was intended to show the actions I am taking and have taken to (in this context) build a platform. If people wanted to comment on the actions I'm taking, great. If people wanted to share things that THEY are doing....even better. For that was my greater hope .... that OTHERS building THEIR platforms would share their experiences.

That was the whole purpose of this thread. But, now I have this sense of defensiveness and awkwardness about it, so I'm beginning to wish I never did.

Last edited:

Bamponang

Registered
Reaction score
Aw Brian, didn't mean to make you feel defensive. Also glad that I was able to give you an idea that you can use practically in your ministry.