Is there a romance line featuring "BBW" heriones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I read "Good in Bed" by Jennifer Weiner, which features a larger heroine. I loved it, in fact. I would actually like to see a line of romance with this in it, instead of the perfect girls.

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
I don't know about a romance line, but I did just read a good book by Jennifer Crusie, "Bet Me," with a voluptuous MC. Pretty good. I'm sorry I can't answer your question, though...

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Katie MacAllister's heroines are usually a bit on the voluptuous side, and she's certainly found a market for them.

Thing that irks me though, is I'll buy one of her books, knowing the mc is a big Amazon gal like me, and on the cover there's a drawing of a size-0 Sarah Jessica Parker lookalike.

Pearls and Tea

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Becky -- I think you should try writing a story about a BBW! I bet it would be great.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's an epublisher who focuses exclusively on BBW, but I can't even think of the right terms to start a google search. Drat.

JD

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
The heroine in my first book, Hunter's Moon was a size 16 (because that's what I was at the time.) Sherrilyn Kenyon also did a plus-size heroine (I think she was a size 18) in Seize the Night. I don't know that there's a specific "line" for them anywhere. I don't think BBW require their own line. It implies (to me anyway) that there are different needs there that don't exist in the rest of the romance genre. :Shrug:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I did a search a while back and came up with 4-5 small presses specifically into BBW but my hardrive crash ate the file. I remember one was a 'dangerous curves' imprint which I thought was a great name!

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha

Such a Pretty Face, ed. Lee Martindale.

On Amazon:
Think all heroes have washboard abs? Think all heroines wear Size 3 Junior Petite? Think again! Come join Gene Wolfe, Elizabeth Anne Scarborough, Jane Yolen, Jody Lynn Nye, and Sharon Lee & Steve Miller, who along with nineteen other authors, introduce you to some of the funniest, wildest, sexiest, most powerful, and normal (considering these are science fiction, fantasy, and horror stories) fat people on earth and a few other planets. Meet a pirate named "Valkyrie" and a cardsharp named "Fat Moriah". Meet a xeno-fitness instructor and an earth-mage who don't apologize for taking up space. Meet fat cats on a mission and a very different kind of vampire. Meet characters for whom "plus-size" is about body size and heart. Brought together in this first-of-its-kind collection are stories that raise the set point on adventure and redraw the picture of "the hero" along the way. Tales of power and abundance that prove that heroes and heroines come in all sizes.

L.Jones

Registered
Reaction score
There used to be a review site that only posted books with BBW heroines but I can't find it now.

My 2002 AVON book, THE DIXIE BELLE'S GUIDE TO LOVE featured a heroine that was 50 lbs overweight and she did not lose an ounce on the way to love ;)

So while there may not a line those books are out there and the publishers are not opposed to plus-sized heroines.

annie jones
Luanne Jones

Becky Writes

Go Tarheels!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccawrites.com
Cathy C said:
I don't think BBW require their own line. It implies (to me anyway) that there are different needs there that don't exist in the rest of the romance genre. :Shrug:

I've never been a skinny or even average sized woman in a romance. When I met hubby, I was a size 16 and it only went up from there! I have to believe, though, that it would have to be different for big women -- harder.

I was thinking of writing one and just wanted to know if there was a line for this particular kind of book.

tarra74

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tarrayoung.com
I am a plus size woman myself (I am losing weight though - I've lost 227 pounds so far) and I have been told by my family on several occasions that I should write a book with a plus sized main character because being one myself I would be able to relate more to a character who was on the larger size, but I wasn't sure there was a market for it out there.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I think more women relate to plus size characters than people think. I mean, I'm not enormous but I could shed about 40 pounds, and I don't think there are many of us who HAVEN'T battled with their weight at some point. Realistically, we're not all Cameron Diaz or some little size-3 girl. I don't actively seek out novels with plus size heroines, but I do find it a pleasant little surprise when I read that the mc is a size 14 or 16 or whatever.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Becky...Go for it. I think there ought to be more Romance novels with BBW's... I happen to like BBW's (even though i'm married) but still. I think it's great you've thought of this idea and I say go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.