Dark Sacred Night (Michael Connelly)

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Okay, in addition to being a rabid Michael Connelly fan, I am also partial to classic jazz.

Michael Connelly (on his April 2003 book signing tour) gave away a CD of his character, Harry Bosch's, favorite jazz. It's called Dark Sacred Night.

Imagine my delight when someone gave me this CD! (It is not available for sale as far as I know, unless it's on eBay)

It's the perfect accompaniement for - well, anything. Writing, for example.

Here's a playlist:

[FONT='Arial CE', sans-serif]1. "Lullaby" - Frank Morgan, Mood Indigo

2. "Soul Eyes" - John Coltrane, The Gentle Side Of John Coltrane

3. "My Funny Valentine" - Art Pepper and the Hollywood All-Stars, Art Standards

4. "My Foolish Heart" - Bill Evans, Bill Evans Walkman

5. "Mood Indigo" - Frank Morgan, Jazz 'Round Midnight

6. "For All We Know" - Sonny Rollins, Falling In Love With Jazz

7. "Lush Life" - Joe Henderson, The Definitive Joe Henderson

8. "Straight Life" - Art Pepper, Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section

9. "Willow Weep For Me" - Clifford Brown, Clifford Brown

10. "What A Wonderful World" - Louis Armstrong, Pure Jazz
[/FONT]
Readers of Harry Bosch will know Art Pepper is a favorite of his. And the title Dark Sacred Night comes from "What a Wonderful World"

I am *SO* into this music!

So what do you listen to? Any of your favorite mystery or thriller characters influence your music choices? Any other jazz fans out there?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
JAZZ

I love some jazz and hate other jazz. I'm extremely fond of the trumpet, and its cousins. There's something about jazz trumpet and mystery, particularly hardboiled mystery, that just meshes perfectly.

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read Connelly's "Lincoln Lawyer" and loved it. But a quarter into the book, I noticed he had a thing about alliteration with character names. Not all of them, probably not even half of them, but for some odd reason I started noting a poetic rhythm in some of his character names. Just skimming through the first 60 pages for names just now I found:

Cecil C. Dobbs, Louis Ross Roulet, Reynaldo (not Robert) Rodriguez, Margaret MacPherson, Gilberto Garcia.

Didn't help that he mentions Surhan Surhan and Mickey Mantle, but those names aren't his fault. I'm not saying it's a bad thing with the names, and they tended to be smaller characters, or characters only referred to, but it did strike me as odd. The story was no worse or better for it. I guess when other things like "Century City" started playing in the mix more, the alliteration made itself known to me.

Anyone else notice this with "Lincoln Lawyer" or his other books? It certainly won't prevent me from buying another Connelly novel, I'm just curious. Or am I just odd?