PDA

View Full Version : Bronte Country Pictures

Flapdoodle
08-30-2006, 01:45 AM
Hi folks,
I know some people here will be interested in the Bronte Sisters.

This weekend I've been up in Lancashire visiting family, and visited a few old haunts from my childhood - namely Haworth, where the Bronte sisters lived, and Wycoller, influence of Jane Eyre...

They were taken with a mobile, so aren't great...

http://martinnike.fotopic.net/c1067700.html

Haworth is an OK little place - bit touristy, but not ruined and still retaining some northern grimness. Wycoller is tiny, just a hamlet, but the ruins of Wycoller manor (Ferndean Manor in Jane Eyre?) are fantastic.

Bk_30
08-30-2006, 02:37 AM
very nice pictures. When looking at the pack horse bridge shots, my son saw a bird in the structure of the bridge. I thought it looked more like a sea turtle.

L M Ashton
08-30-2006, 06:34 AM
Lovely photos. Thanks. :)

What do you mean "taken with a mobile"? Oh, phone! *grunts* Of course. For a phone, I'm even more impressed.

Oh I love these photos. Hey, if you want to, um, volunteer any of them as a writing prompt for my Flash Fiction Friday, I, uh, wouldn't stop you. Or anything. :) These are just lovely. :)

Sury
08-30-2006, 08:10 AM

Are you kidding? I can't believe you used your phone to click such spectacular pictures. Truly impressive! :D

Quid, those photos would definitely make for great flash prompts. ;)

Sury

Flapdoodle
08-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Lovely photos. Thanks. :)

What do you mean "taken with a mobile"? Oh, phone! *grunts* Of course. For a phone, I'm even more impressed.

Oh I love these photos. Hey, if you want to, um, volunteer any of them as a writing prompt for my Flash Fiction Friday, I, uh, wouldn't stop you. Or anything. :) These are just lovely. :)

Feel free to use them if you want...

Marilyn Braun
08-30-2006, 03:28 PM

Are you kidding? These photos are great!! I need to get whatever mobile phone you're using. :)

MacAllister
08-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Lovely, Flapdoodle. :) I adore the Brontes. Thank you!

endless rewrite
08-30-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm sorry but I feel in a War of the Roses type chippy way that I have to point out that Howarth is in Yorkshire, my dad was born on Howarth main street, not in the street but in a little terrace hosue on the hill. Cannot let those pesky Lancastrians claim our Yorkshire Bronte sisters.

Lovely pics, Wuthering Heights is my all time fave book. Heathcliffe, swoon etc.

Did you go for a walk on the moors and see the spot that was supposed to have inspired Wuthering Heights? I love the children's miniature books in the museum. I also hope you had a pint at the Black Bull where Bramwell spent a great deal of time. My mum and dad had their wedding reception there, me I preferred Vegas!

Hope you had a great holiday, northern grimness is an acquired taste, you can grow to love it.

Flapdoodle
08-30-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm sorry but I feel in a War of the Roses type chippy way that I have to point out that Howarth is in Yorkshire, my dad was born on Howarth main street, not in the street but in a little terrace hosue on the hill. Cannot let those pesky Lancastrians claim our Yorkshire Bronte sisters.

Lovely pics, Wuthering Heights is my all time fave book. Heathcliffe, swoon etc.

Did you go for a walk on the moors and see the spot that was supposed to have inspired Wuthering Heights? I love the children's miniature books in the museum. I also hope you had a pint at the Black Bull where Bramwell spent a great deal of time. My mum and dad had their wedding reception there, me I preferred Vegas!

Hope you had a great holiday, northern grimness is an acquired taste, you can grow to love it.

I know it's in Yorkshire, but I was in Lancashire visiting family - Haworth's about 8 miles away from where my Mum and sisters live ("Pendle" - ie, Nelson, Colne, Barrowford).:D Wycoller's in Lancashire, though.

I'm afraid I grew up in Northern grimness - and quickly moved south. It seems to be getting grimmer up there, as well. I've never seen so many boarded up houses and derelict factories before!

We didn't do the walk - the weather was terrible, and it kept raining, so we tried to find somewhere that'd serve us lunch (A place called Emmas ignored us, so we walked out.)

Flapdoodle
08-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Are you kidding? These photos are great!! I need to get whatever mobile phone you're using. :)

Sony Ericcson k750i

endless rewrite
08-30-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm afraid I grew up in Northern grimness - and quickly moved south. It seems to be getting grimmer up there, as well. I've never seen so many boarded up houses and derelict factories before!

I must be a total masochist as I moved further north! I actually find most of West Yorkshire horribly depressing apart from the moors, there is something opressive about it especially the Bradford area, Leeds is Ok though and I love North Yorkshire. All my immediate family moved away after generations of living in West Yorks. Now I live up on the North East coastline and I'm very happy here though I get the odd urge to emmigrate somewhere without seagulls who wake you up at 5am and where you get more sun.

Flapdoodle
08-30-2006, 07:54 PM
I must be a total masochist as I moved further north! I actually find most of West Yorkshire horribly depressing apart from the moors, there is something opressive about it especially the Bradford area, Leeds is Ok though and I love North Yorkshire. All my immediate family moved away after generations of living in West Yorks. Now I live up on the North East coastline and I'm very happy here though I get the odd urge to emmigrate somewhere without seagulls who wake you up at 5am and where you get more sun.

The countryside is excellent. Leeds & Manchester seem to be thriving, but everywhere else seems dead. Burnley is unbelievably depressing. So bad it makes Coventry seem nice!

Mandy-Jane
11-14-2007, 03:16 PM
They are the most beautiful photos I've seen! (Okay I know I'm just a wee bit late to this thread, but hey, better late than never!) I love history and historical sites and yes, I love the Brontes too. Those photos are gorgeous!

Spice Islands
11-18-2007, 05:06 AM
one of my favourite parts of the country. love it up there...also check out the keighley worth valley steam railway

some one mentioned the north east coast. check out these snaps from there

http://truepix.blogspot.com/2007/10/craster-and-dunstanburgh.html