Bronte Country Pictures

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Hi folks,
I know some people here will be interested in the Bronte Sisters.

This weekend I've been up in Lancashire visiting family, and visited a few old haunts from my childhood - namely Haworth, where the Bronte sisters lived, and Wycoller, influence of Jane Eyre...

They were taken with a mobile, so aren't great...

http://martinnike.fotopic.net/c1067700.html

Haworth is an OK little place - bit touristy, but not ruined and still retaining some northern grimness. Wycoller is tiny, just a hamlet, but the ruins of Wycoller manor (Ferndean Manor in Jane Eyre?) are fantastic.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Lovely photos. Thanks. :)

What do you mean "taken with a mobile"? Oh, phone! *grunts* Of course. For a phone, I'm even more impressed.

Oh I love these photos. Hey, if you want to, um, volunteer any of them as a writing prompt for my Flash Fiction Friday, I, uh, wouldn't stop you. Or anything. :) These are just lovely. :)

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
Flapdoodle said:
They were taken with a mobile, so aren't great...
Are you kidding? I can't believe you used your phone to click such spectacular pictures. Truly impressive! :D

Quid, those photos would definitely make for great flash prompts. ;)

Sury

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
quidscribis said:
Lovely photos. Thanks. :)

What do you mean "taken with a mobile"? Oh, phone! *grunts* Of course. For a phone, I'm even more impressed.

Oh I love these photos. Hey, if you want to, um, volunteer any of them as a writing prompt for my Flash Fiction Friday, I, uh, wouldn't stop you. Or anything. :) These are just lovely. :)

Feel free to use them if you want...

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Lovely, Flapdoodle. :) I adore the Brontes. Thank you!

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I feel in a War of the Roses type chippy way that I have to point out that Howarth is in Yorkshire, my dad was born on Howarth main street, not in the street but in a little terrace hosue on the hill. Cannot let those pesky Lancastrians claim our Yorkshire Bronte sisters.

Lovely pics, Wuthering Heights is my all time fave book. Heathcliffe, swoon etc.

Did you go for a walk on the moors and see the spot that was supposed to have inspired Wuthering Heights? I love the children's miniature books in the museum. I also hope you had a pint at the Black Bull where Bramwell spent a great deal of time. My mum and dad had their wedding reception there, me I preferred Vegas!

Hope you had a great holiday, northern grimness is an acquired taste, you can grow to love it.

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
endless rewrite said:
I'm sorry but I feel in a War of the Roses type chippy way that I have to point out that Howarth is in Yorkshire, my dad was born on Howarth main street, not in the street but in a little terrace hosue on the hill. Cannot let those pesky Lancastrians claim our Yorkshire Bronte sisters.

Lovely pics, Wuthering Heights is my all time fave book. Heathcliffe, swoon etc.

Did you go for a walk on the moors and see the spot that was supposed to have inspired Wuthering Heights? I love the children's miniature books in the museum. I also hope you had a pint at the Black Bull where Bramwell spent a great deal of time. My mum and dad had their wedding reception there, me I preferred Vegas!

Hope you had a great holiday, northern grimness is an acquired taste, you can grow to love it.

I know it's in Yorkshire, but I was in Lancashire visiting family - Haworth's about 8 miles away from where my Mum and sisters live ("Pendle" - ie, Nelson, Colne, Barrowford).:D Wycoller's in Lancashire, though.

I'm afraid I grew up in Northern grimness - and quickly moved south. It seems to be getting grimmer up there, as well. I've never seen so many boarded up houses and derelict factories before!

We didn't do the walk - the weather was terrible, and it kept raining, so we tried to find somewhere that'd serve us lunch (A place called Emmas ignored us, so we walked out.)

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid I grew up in Northern grimness - and quickly moved south. It seems to be getting grimmer up there, as well. I've never seen so many boarded up houses and derelict factories before!

I must be a total masochist as I moved further north! I actually find most of West Yorkshire horribly depressing apart from the moors, there is something opressive about it especially the Bradford area, Leeds is Ok though and I love North Yorkshire. All my immediate family moved away after generations of living in West Yorks. Now I live up on the North East coastline and I'm very happy here though I get the odd urge to emmigrate somewhere without seagulls who wake you up at 5am and where you get more sun.

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
endless rewrite said:
I must be a total masochist as I moved further north! I actually find most of West Yorkshire horribly depressing apart from the moors, there is something opressive about it especially the Bradford area, Leeds is Ok though and I love North Yorkshire. All my immediate family moved away after generations of living in West Yorks. Now I live up on the North East coastline and I'm very happy here though I get the odd urge to emmigrate somewhere without seagulls who wake you up at 5am and where you get more sun.

The countryside is excellent. Leeds & Manchester seem to be thriving, but everywhere else seems dead. Burnley is unbelievably depressing. So bad it makes Coventry seem nice!

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
They are the most beautiful photos I've seen! (Okay I know I'm just a wee bit late to this thread, but hey, better late than never!) I love history and historical sites and yes, I love the Brontes too. Those photos are gorgeous!