Great book, great movie

katdad

We all know how rare it is for a great book to become a great movie. But it sometimes happens, even if the story line is altered somewhat.

What are your favorite great books that ended up as equally great movies? For me...

The Godfather
Silence of the Lambs
All Quiet on the Western Front (the 1929 movie)

macalicious731

The Green Mile. I'll still take the book over the film, but undoubtedly it was a wonderful movie just the same.

aka eraser

I'm gonna have to mull this one though The Godfather leaps immediately to mind.

I remember feeling like a total dummy for a while because everybody praised Catch 22 (the book) and panned the movie. I thought the book was dull as dirt (couldn't finish it) and the movie absolutely brilliant.

Different strokes....

arrowqueen

'The Shawshank Redemption' - okay it was just a novella, but it worked for me.

Greenwolf103

The Amityville Horror, The Exorcist, ET, Seabiscuit, A Perfect Storm.

Those are just some I can think of right now. I know that the first is pretty much nonfiction, as well as the last two. (Hey! They were still great books!!)

Yeshanu

Doh! How could I forget TLOR? Ruth is gonna kill me.

Didn't the fried walleye almost do my job for me this past week or so, Frank?

I mean, really. Is there actually another book-based movie out there?

(Actually, second favourite on my list would be the Harry Potter series. So you see, I do watch other movies and read other books.)

chachaboogie

The Horse Whisperer had to be the best... in the beginning, the accident scene was so realistic in the book that I had to put it down for a moment. When the movie came out, it was exceptionally well done.

Second choice: What Dreams May Come. I watched the movie first, with Robin Williams, and was blown away. I had no idea what it was about. Then I read the book. Then I watched the movie again. Then I read the book again. The movie demonstrated the book telling about the man walking in a sea of faces. The movie was a true tear-jerker, but I didn't find that in the book.

maestrowork

Stand By Me
Dr. Zhivago
Jaws
From Russia With Love
The Grapes of Wrath
East of Eden
About Schmidt
Jurassic Park
Manchurian Candidate (the original)
The Borne Identity
Joy Luck Club
One Flew Over the Cockoo's Nest

SimonSays

Greenwolf -

I know the screenwriter of Amityville Horror well, I'm sure he'd be thrilled to know he made your list.

maestrowork

Good one.

Godzilla.... j/k.

Misery
The Hours
Wonder Boys
A Room With a View

Greenwolf103

That's interesting, Simon. I just wrote an article about The Amityville Horrror.

Kida Adelyn

How about "To Kill A Mockingbird"?

I can't stand the movie. They left out the good bits.

LOTR was the greatest book turned movie.
The Last unicorn is great too. I've never gotten around to reading the book though.