querying same agent?

Heather Lewis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tealeafpress.com
I've revised my query letter several times as I've read and researched more about how to go through the query process. If I e-queried an agent last fall and never got a response, is it okay to send my *new and improved* query letter (same project) to that same agent? Or should I just cross her off the list and keep going? I also have new "pub credit" info in the revised query.

TIA,
MelRandall

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
As you may have already guessed, I'm on the side of re-querying. I mean, what's the worst that can happen.

On the other hand, I've yet to turn around any of the four or five agents I've requeried.

Once, though, another agent recommended my query to an agent friend of hers, who sent me an email requesting my manuscript--a manuscript he'd had no interest in seeing when I queried him about it the week before!

On the third hand, he wound up rejecting it.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Given how many queries agents receive it is pretty unlikely that they would remember your query from nearly a year ago. It is probably a different assistant handling the initial query screening anyway.
What's the worst that could happen if you requery?

Kristen King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkthinker.blogspot.com
I second what popmuze and waylander. If they don't represent you now and, worst-case scenario, they reject the manuscript based on the requery, they still won't be representing you, so you've got nothing to lose! Go for it.

Kristen :]