PDA

View Full Version : Christian romantic suspense

Robin Bayne
08-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Just read a novel in this genre, which is new to me--Christian suspense with a bit of romance too. Anyone here working on this genre?

Just finished the debut novel of author Jill Elizabeth Nelson, and thought I'd let you guys know about it. I don't usually read suspense novels, but this one was very good. It's a Christian suspense with a bit of romance. It's called Reluctant Burglar.

Here's my review and then a blurb from Amazon:

"I wasn't sure what to expect from Jill's Christian suspense novel, but I couldn't put it down. The characters are intriuging and the plot twisted more than a bunch of disco dancers. There were a few red herrings that kept me guessing, and I really enjoyed the sweet romance which developed between Desi and Tony. The author also made the book seem very contemporary, by adding in bits of real current headlines. Highly recommended!"

Book Description
The Art of Art Thievery When Hiram Jacobs is murdered, the responsibility for his internationally renowned security company falls upon his daughter, Desiree. But a container full of stolen paintings screams the ugly truth - that her father was a thief. Option A: Turn the goods over to the law, disgrace her father's name, destroy their business, put people out of jobs, and embarrass international museums with the fact that they have been displaying clever forgeries. Option B: Surrender the art to the bad guys. But then she becomes an unwilling accomplice to the thieves, and her father's murderer would walk free. Worse, a death threat warns her not to cooperate with federal agents. Can she trust God to guide her down the right path when no option seems right...let alone safe?

Soccer Mom
08-30-2006, 12:17 AM
Hmm. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look for it.

Gravity
08-30-2006, 12:34 AM
I write Christian suspense as well, and there's a bit of romance in it (the ladies I've managed to convince to read my stuff seemed to be surprised they actually liked it). But I wouldn't call it "Christian romantic suspense." I'll tell you who does a whale of a job with it though: Brandilyn Collins.

Robin Bayne
08-30-2006, 12:39 AM
I write Christian suspense as well, and there's a bit of romance in it (the ladies I've managed to convince to read my stuff seemed to be surprised they actually liked it). But I wouldn't call it "Christian romantic suspense." I'll tell you who does a whale of a job with it though: Brandilyn Collins.

Yes, Brandilyn is the queen of Christian suspense. :Sun: I have used suspense in my novels but can't make it the main focus.

marinawings
08-31-2006, 06:55 AM
I really like writing Christian romantic suspense. Usually mine has more of a historical or supernatural bent to it. I'm not a very experienced writer yet, and nothing of mine has been published. I have a bad problem with starting to write something, then abandoning it to work on something else. Any advice would be great!

argenianpoet
09-01-2006, 02:49 AM
I really like writing Christian romantic suspense. Usually mine has more of a historical or supernatural bent to it. I'm not a very experienced writer yet, and nothing of mine has been published. I have a bad problem with starting to write something, then abandoning it to work on something else. Any advice would be great!

I had that problem when I first started writing, but the first time I wrote an outline I was hooked. It's more about knowing where you are going with a work of fiction than it is inspiration, but inspiration certainly helps. If you know where you are going then you will get there. Spend two or three weeks thinking about your book; your characters, their lives, who they are, everything about them, get to know them on a personal level and brainstorm on ideas. Write everything down, and when you can't think of anything more to write examine what you have and rearrange it into a workable outline. Outlines are not written in stone and I would suggest that you not write them in stone, but at least you know you have one possible version worked out and you can focus on what each chapter will be about, which POV you want to write in that chapter, etc. I normally take about two to three weeks in what I call "outline mode" and figure everything out from start to finish. Currently I am in that process, but have enough of an outline and mental grasp that I am writing it also. Chapter five is waiting my fingers right now as a matter of fact, but I will wait until my critique group gives me the damage on the first four chapters and then I will write the fifth and so on. Some people do not write outlines and I say all the more power to you, but for me, outlines are essential and I will always use them and tell people I write them before hand. In the case of my last novel I memorized the outline and hardly ever even looked at it. Once you go through it and write it down, it's embedded. Try an outline and see if it don't help you, but first figure out your story and its characters so you will have something to go by. Hope that helps.

Betty W01
09-01-2006, 06:10 PM
I also read Jill's book and my review of it will on Midwest Book Review in the next couple of months. If y'all like suspense, read Gravity's books. I just finished his latest and will be reviewing it for MBR also - great job, G!

Gravity
09-01-2006, 06:18 PM
I also read Jill's book and my review of it will on Midwest Book Review in the next couple of months. If y'all like suspense, read Gravity's books. I just finished his latest and will be reviewing it for MBR also - great job, G!

Thanks, Betty! You're mighty sweet! (now, psst, just between us...did you really like it?) :D

Writer2011
09-01-2006, 06:24 PM
I personally have never read Christian Romantic Suspense but it certainly sounds interesting... Might even give it a try.

Robin Bayne
09-02-2006, 08:20 PM

Great!!:)

ByGracePublishing
09-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Just weighing in, Hannah Alexander (a husband/wife team) would be a good pick if you want to read an example of Inspriational Romantic Suspense. They write for Love Inspired, and have written for Heartsong.

Sheila

Robin Bayne
09-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Just weighing in, Hannah Alexander (a husband/wife team) would be a good pick if you want to read an example of Inspriational Romantic Suspense. They write for Love Inspired, and have written for Heartsong.

Sheila

I've read one of hers-- I think it was called "Hideaway." I remember liking it.:)

Gravity
09-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Another good one is Nancy Mehl (who posts on AW from time to time). Barbour has just picked her up for a three-book series, and I for one am happy as a speckled pup for her!