Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Recently I have been thinking a lot about the books I loved reading as a child. Middle-grade stuff, mostly. Once in a while I'll come across one in a thrift store and buy it for a quarter. It's likely that this reminiscing is a direct result of the new movie version of "How to Eat Fried Worms" that opened this weekend. Great book, so I hope they didn't mangle it.

Anyway, it got me thinking about this book that I read and reread, but I cannot remember the title. I've been trying for two days.

Young siblings (I think one girl and two boys) move out to a country house, far from where they grew up. It's in the woods, with lots of property, and they find an ancient tree near the back of the property line. It has a hollow knot in it, and one day they start to find little presents in it. At one point, three carved animal figurines are left, and they kids start to wonder who is leaving them and why?

I think at one point, one kid steps on a rusty nail and needs a tetanus shot, and the gifts end up coming from a nearby neighbor who lives on the other side of the woods.

If anyone knows what book this is, please please please let me know. I would love to find a copy for my memory collection.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like a great story...but unfortunately, I don't remember reading it. Sorry, I couldn't help.

However, on the same thought:

I remember stories in a book as a child that cannot be found today. I would love to find them and publish a new collection.

I also remember a series of books about neighborhood kids that would visit an elderly woman, who would magically help these kids through their behavior problems. Wish I could remember the author and name of the book, they were great moral stories.

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
You cant remember it cause you insist on that CAT avatar...
And Deborah cant remember cause she too has one....

Now all ya have to do is switch that avatar to something NORMAL like a DOG...and voila your memory will work like a charm :D

DeborahM

Registered
Reaction score
Sheeish, TeddyG, or we could have a cool avatar like yours!

However, I don't believe that will help me either way to remember some 45+ years back to the titles of the books I read.

DeborahM

Registered
Reaction score
TeddyG, IMO, you're secretly wishing you had a cat avatar and its starting to show through!

What books do you remember reading as a child? Can you come up with those titles for us?

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did someone say . . . cat?

Robert Toy

My second favorite thing is running into a thread like this one...It drives me CRAZY!!! Do you have any idea how many book titles I have researched? You ladies are going to make me lose sleep over this search! :crazy:

What do I find more entertaining? Standing behind a running bus sniffing the fumes!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For the record: Teddy is NOT innocent.

and I hate to tell you this, chaos.

I think I read that book, too. But I can't remember the title. Sorry. :(

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
DeborahM said:
TeddyG is playing instigator, again.

And just as I was starting to like him too. :tongue

Sorry Chaos - I've tried to find the book you mentioned, but I can't come up with anything. The only book I can think of where kids find gifts hidden in a tree is To Kill a Mockingbird - and that ain't it!

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
I think I read that one years and years ago, but can't remember either. I keep thinking of "The Bridge to Terabithia", but I know that isn't it.
Thanks a lot, now it's going to bother me too.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know the names of these books either, but trying to figure out how you could find out. I"ll do some searches and see what I can find.

Robert Toy

Stew21 said:
I don't know the names of these books either, but trying to figure out how you could find out. I"ll do some searches and see what I can find.
If you can find the names, I'll get you a big piece of cake...:D

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
chaostitan said:
Young siblings (I think one girl and two boys) move out to a country house, far from where they grew up. It's in the woods, with lots of property, and they find an ancient tree near the back of the property line. It has a hollow knot in it, and one day they start to find little presents in it. At one point, three carved animal figurines are left, and they kids start to wonder who is leaving them and why?

I think at one point, one kid steps on a rusty nail and needs a tetanus shot, and the gifts end up coming from a nearby neighbor who lives on the other side of the woods.

If anyone knows what book this is, please please please let me know. I would love to find a copy for my memory collection.

I believe it is one of Enid Blyton's books, probably from the farm series which includes, "The Children of Cherry Tree Farm" "The Children of Willow Tree farm," and "More Adventures on Willow Farm."

DeborahM

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Cath!

I'll so some searching in there for the books I'm trying to find! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.