Hand-addressed envelopes

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Do hand-written envelopes for query letters smack of amateurism, or do they lend a personal touch?
For me, it's simply a case of not having a printer at home. I can get away with printing letters out at work, but not envelopes. Is a hand-addressed envelope better than none?
Thanks!
Mark

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Use labels if possible. Many people can't print envelopes, but they can print labels.

To me, handwritten envelopes for any business correspondence (including queries) just look unprofessional.... unless you have beautiful, perfect calligraphic handwriting.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
maestrowork said:
To me, handwritten envelopes for any business correspondence (including queries) just look unprofessional.... unless you have beautiful, perfect calligraphic handwriting.

Nah, I was going for the creaky, spidery scrawl. :) Seriously, though, thanks, I'll get some labels printed up.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always hand-write my envelopes.

I have lovely penmanship.:)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I do it both ways--mostly based on time. For large envelopes (like full manuscripts require), I tend to prefer hand-printed with marker directly on the envelope. I've found that Avery or store brand labels don't like to stick well enough to several brands of envelopes and have had several come off. But for regular #10 envelopes? Yeah, I definitely type them (either through the laser printer or on an old-fashioned typewriter.) Sometimes the typewriter is quicker and easier. But that's just me... :)

blackbird

Registered
Reaction score
I've had just as much success with handwritten envelopes as beautiful, professional labels or printed envelopes. What counts is having a neatly printed, professional-looking manuscript. The actual writing is what makes the difference, not what your envelope looks like. Granted, some agents and editos are more picayune about such things than others, but I don't think there's anyone out there who would actually refuse to read your work just because the address on the envelope is handwritten.

Andrew Zack

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.zackcompany.com
Oy. Depending on the size of the agency, only an assistant will ever see that envelope, so it doesn't matter. What does matter is that if your envelope is so poorly addressed or the handwriting so ugly that the Postal Service can't read the address and your mail never arrives.

Stamps.com and other services let you print envelopes with the barcode. Mail sent this way definitely gets there faster, I believe.

Andy

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's good to hear. When I worked as an editor at a greeting card company I can remember we opened lots of submissions from writers with hand-written envelopes. It didn't make any difference; what was inside was what counted. If the person's verses were well-written, we passed them along to the editorial director. Nobody cared about the envelope.