A Question About Harlequin

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen them address this, but I'd recommend you stick to it. That's pretty much what it'll come out to anyway, with standard formatting. If you get 24 or 26, I wouldn't stress about it, but if you've got something like 15 or 30, it's going to either look silly (on the short end of the range) or be difficult to read (on the long end of the range).

JD

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Good question, but I don't know either. Any of our H/S authors want to take a stab at this? Are you still submitting your mss. at 25 lines/page?

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Hope you don't mind my jumping in but the formula Susan gave me a while back me was:

1.2 margins all the way around
12 pt. Courier New
At least 24 pt. spacing

It will pretty much give you the 25 lines per page. You might get as few as 23 or 24, but the most is 25. It will make your computer word count accurate for the rough estimate the category line should be. My last story was just under 65,000 words (aimed for Blaze) and the page count was 309. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Cathy C said:
Good question, but I don't know either. Any of our H/S authors want to take a stab at this? Are you still submitting your mss. at 25 lines/page?

I most certainly am. It just makes them easier to read. For some reason I sometimes run into a bug where the first page ends up with 26 lines, and the rest 25, but that's no big deal.

Like Jan said, if you start messing around too much with the "standard format" you run the risk of ending up with mss that are harder to read. The rule is always be considerate of the editors' eyes because they spend a lot of time looking at this stuff. :)

Susan G.

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Sonarbabe said:
Hope you don't mind my jumping in but the formula Susan gave me a while back me was:

1.2 margins all the way around
12 pt. Courier New
At least 24 pt. spacing

It will pretty much give you the 25 lines per page. You might get as few as 23 or 24, but the most is 25. It will make your computer word count accurate for the rough estimate the category line should be. My last story was just under 65,000 words (aimed for Blaze) and the page count was 309. Hope that helps.

You're getting a variation because you forgot TURN OFF WIDOWS/ORPHANS! <G>

(And sometimes, it turns back on. So when you see a page with a weird numboer of lines - barring that weird first page glitch which I haven't been able to figure out - check the Widows and Orphans. Usually you'll find that for some bizzaro reason known only to Bill Gates, it's back on.)

Susan G.

Sonarbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
But...but... ah heck. LOL At least you can say I listened to you. <G> Does this mean I don't get a cookie?

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Sonarbabe said:
But...but... ah heck. LOL At least you can say I listened to you. <G> Does this mean I don't get a cookie?

Nahhhh, you can still have a cookie. :e2cookie: You WERE listening. :)

Susan G.

tarra74

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tarrayoung.com
oh good. That is a relief that I am doing it right. I just wanted to make sure I am doing it right from the beginning so that when I get further into the manuscript, I don't find out I was doing it wrong. I am on the first chapter (page 6 to be exact) and all the pages so far have 25 lines per page. I would have had more done, but my mom was in the hospital for two weeks and she just got out yesterday.

Sonarbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
tarra74 said:
oh good. That is a relief that I am doing it right. I just wanted to make sure I am doing it right from the beginning so that when I get further into the manuscript, I don't find out I was doing it wrong. I am on the first chapter (page 6 to be exact) and all the pages so far have 25 lines per page. I would have had more done, but my mom was in the hospital for two weeks and she just got out yesterday.

Hope your mom is feeling better and has a speedy recovery. :Hug2:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Why not just set MS to get exactly 25 lines per page?

Go to "Format" and select "paragraph". The new box will have an area that says "Line spacing" in the lower right hand corner. It's set at "single" by default. Change it to "Exactly", then use the little menu next to it ("At") to change it to "25 pt".

Exactly 25 lines p, every time.

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
DecemberQuinn said:
Why not just set MS to get exactly 25 lines per page?

Go to "Format" and select "paragraph". The new box will have an area that says "Line spacing" in the lower right hand corner. It's set at "single" by default. Change it to "Exactly", then use the little menu next to it ("At") to change it to "25 pt".

Exactly 25 lines p, every time.

Ummmm...I forget why not. But there was a reason that the person who taught me how to format my mss didn't have me do it that way.

But for the life of me, I don't remember why. <G> If it works, use it! That's my motto for all things writing. :) If it works for you, GREAT! :)

Susan G.

Status
Not open for further replies.