PDA

View Full Version : Engrish.com

Popeyesays
08-27-2006, 08:36 AM
http://www.engrish.com/recent_detail.php?imagename=beware-of-unreal-things.jpg&category=Engrish%20from%20Other%20Countries&date=2006-08-25

Flip through the index and see all the wonderful translations of Japanese, Chinese and Korean into "ENGRISH".

This will give grammarians headaches.

I particularly like the warning sign "Carefully trip and fall down"

Regards,
Scott

jbal
08-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Ha! hilarious.
This belongs in the "I admit it..." thread, but this site reminds of an episode of Charles in Charge where he assembled something from Japanese instructions that said "find a most pleasant screwing driver".
embarassing, but that one has stuck with me for twenty years or so.

Mom'sWrite
08-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Okay Popeyesays, you almost killed me with this link. I couldn't breathe from laughing. I think I need a doctor...:tongue

Carol who just peed in her pants

L M Ashton
08-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Stuff like that happens here all the time. Most instructions are close to unintelligible (I rely on assembly diagrams when possible and ignore the written).

My favorite Chinese restaurant (favorite by name, not that I've actually eaten there) is called... Chainees Restaurant.

maestrowork
08-27-2006, 10:46 PM
My favorite was Poo Ping Chinese Restaurant in Boston. Needless to say, I never ate there.

jbal
08-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Out in my hood we have a Chun King Chinese restaurant

bluejester12
08-28-2006, 06:57 AM
In Japan I saw a restaurant with "Come cock your own meat." :Shrug:

Popeyesays
08-28-2006, 07:00 AM
In Japan I saw a restaurant with "Come cock your own meat." :Shrug:

After all who wants their meat to go off half-cocked.

Regards,
Scott

Celia Cyanide
08-29-2006, 08:05 AM
I have a couple T-shirts from that website. My favorite says, "I hate my life. Every day I polish my revolver and shoot my head. Like a Rock star." It's the best site. I look there when I am sad.

I also appreciate the birthday card that says, "I wish you many happy comes in your future life."

Soccer Mom
08-29-2006, 11:03 PM
I still have two bags I bought in Japan many years ago. One says "What we need of now is adventurous mind." The other has an elephant and says "My name is Don Don. I am pretty elephant. Love me well." I don't know why those tickled me, but they just did.

I loved the "English" signs in the restaurants and hotels. *happy sighs*

Thanks for the fun link.

TsukiRyoko
08-31-2006, 11:17 PM
Oh my bejesus I love that website. Nothing like a good brain fry and a hearty laugh.

"Don't use for the other use"

jbal
09-16-2006, 01:30 AM
Here are some excerpts from an instruction manual for a light fixture I put together today:
"Firstly, assemble...together with one screw by the screwdriver."
"In like matter, select any of the rest two...then fix them"
and my favorite:
"push a sticker with (mfr name) printing into the top and rotate clockwise or anti-clockwise"
just thought that belonged here.

Popeyesays
09-16-2006, 03:53 AM
Here are some excerpts from an instruction manual for a light fixture I put together today:
"Firstly, assemble...together with one screw by the screwdriver."
"In like matter, select any of the rest two...then fix them"
and my favorite:
"push a sticker with (mfr name) printing into the top and rotate clockwise or anti-clockwise"
just thought that belonged here.

I've often wanted to insert the "m.fr." into a dark place and rotate in either direction until he cannot be removed without surgery.

Regards,
Scott

Akiahara
09-19-2006, 01:49 PM
drunken walking caution triping?

wow.

TsukiRyoko
09-19-2006, 10:45 PM
This isn't on engrish.com, but it should be.

One of my favorite songs (from a Japanese band, oh course) is "got for gimmick". If you've ever watched Louis Black's joke about "If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college" and his explanation for strokes, you'll know what I mean when I say I experienced the same thing over that song.

Got for gimmick.........................................