How soon should contact wiht the hero be made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
It should happen whenever it is supposed to happen. If the story demands it to happen on page 20, then there, I guess after page 50-100 it would start getting late if he is the center of the story. And if the story is all about him then it would be weird if he is not in from the beginning, no?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
In the first 2-3 chapters IMHO. But if there is an 'anticipatable' moment it can be towards the end of that period ;) . Just so long as the reader isn't left wondering if the story even has a hero.

Crinklish

Registered
Reaction score
Becky Writes said:
Is it something that should happen in the first few pages?

Depends on whether you're writing category or single title, as well--if the latter, you have plenty of leeway. If you need to spend five chapters with the heroine before we ever meet the hero, you can. But depending on the category line you're aiming for (if that's your goal), there may be more specific restrictions about how quickly the couple has to meet. Check the guidelines/previously published titles to get a read on that.

L.Jones

Registered
Reaction score
If you are writing catagory it needs to happen in chaper one or the beginning of chapter 2 at the latest. In reality, you have a very short word count wherein the romance is the story - you need to plunge your reader into the story as soon as possible. That means getting the characters together.

BTW = romances can begin with the hero's pov.

annie jones

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the distinction between category and single title.

Just also keep in mind that if the story is a romance, the story is ABOUT the relationship, first and foremost, and therefore the story hasn't entirely begun until both the participants in the relationship are on-scene. Given that, think carefully if you're tempted to go more than a scene, maybe two scenes tops, before the story begins in earnest, and then get both of the participants together as soon as reasonably possible so the story can pick up speed and get into the meat of the story.

JD

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
For those of you who are new around here, Crinklish is an undercover editor. :) So she knows what she's talking about.

Susan G.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
One more thing to consider

I agree with Crinklish. Personally, it doesn't bother me . . . much if they don't meet right away. But one thing I might add to this discussion is that I recently judged a contest where the first 25 pages of an unpubbed manuscript was submitted. One of the entries started with several men, buddies on a trip. But NO women appeared in entry--not a single one until the very last line of page 25 (a line of dialogue), and since more than one of the men had a POV, I truly had NO IDEA who the hero and/or heroine were.

Now, this is a BIGGGG problem in a romance novel. So, again--while I don't mind particularly getting to know one of the people for a little while, an author has to at least INTRODUCE both parties (not to each other, but to the reader) in that time. Sadly, although it was a pretty good story that I judged, I had to give it low marks because there wasn't any way to judge anything about the ROMANCE.

JMHO, of course! :)

Becky Writes

Go Tarheels!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccawrites.com
In my WIP, the first contact is made on page 22. Up to that point my MC is the the process of changing jobs and fighting with her sister. The whole sister realtionship is major to the storyline. By page 34, you know that there is going to be a romance.

Status
Not open for further replies.