PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Go About Finding A Critique Partner?

tarra74
08-27-2006, 04:56 AM
Does anyone here know how I can go about finding a critique partner? I have been told more than once that it can help improve my writing. I just started a new book today and I would like to find someone who doesn't mind going chapter by chapter and who is patient with me because I have never critiqued anyone's manuscript before, but I am sure I can learn. I am usually a quick learner. I think it would also be nice to find someone who wouldn't mind doing this on a regular basis and maybe for years to come. I have started writing a book this morning that I am hoping to get published with Harlequin. It was on my mind as soon as I opened my eyes this morning, and all though I usually like to do more planning before I start a book, it was eating at me and I had to get my laptop out and start typing it. Does this happen to anyone else?

Silver King
08-27-2006, 05:43 AM
Hi tarra. Have you been to the Mentors forum located here? (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30) Someone there may be willing to help, and you might find a critique partner you can share your work with as well.

Best of luck in your search.

tarra74
08-27-2006, 05:47 AM
Thank you, I will try that.

Stacia Kane
08-27-2006, 03:43 PM
I found my absolutely great and perfect-for-me CP through the Passionate Ink chapter of RWA--so this group or a different group is a great place to look.

The important thing to remember about finding a CP is make sure you like their work. Make sure they like yours. It's not going to do you any good if their work is not on the same level as yours--you'll end up not trusting any crits they make--and if you're writing totally different things you might not be able to help each other much either.

I adore mine. We absolutely clicked immediately, even though we still haven't met and have only talked on the phone once--we still wrote a great book together and we email at least a couple of times a week even if it isn't crit-related stuff. I trust her completely, and I hope she trusts me. We have a great relationship.

So good luck! You'll find the right one for you.

Kharisma
08-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Hi Tarra!
I am new to writing my first ms. I am only about 6800 words in and am in need of a good CP. Same types of hope as you were I would like someone who I can estiblish a long term working and personal relationship with. I think that my style of writing would be suited for Harlequin lines also or similar. If you are interested please email me at sherrylangen@yahoo.ca and we can start chatting.
Hope to hear from you soon!
sherry