A BIG visitor to the bird feeder

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Early yesterday morning I was making my first cup of coffee when I spotted something BIG coming in for a landing on top of the 4x4 that our bird feeders are mounted on. Before it registered with me what was going on, an enormous hawk dropped down and perched on top of the post!

That thing was easily a foot tall, if not bigger. I've seen it several times cruising through the yard looking for a quick snack, and I've seen it miss and land in the yard empty-taloned (I've also seen it and its friends hunting in the fields and snatching up little furry critters). But that was the first time I've ever seen it sitting on top of the feeder post!

The funny thing is, my husband had mounted a flat piece of lattice work on top of the post. It's a roof of sorts, to hopefully protect the little birds from being attacked while they're eating. Looks like that plan worked really well at scaring away hawks. :D

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
I love watching hawks!

One time Fred and I drove up to Gainesville, from Flower Mound (between Dallas and Denton) to see about the families cattle being sold at the fall auction and I counted 31 hawks on the trip up!

There is a hawk nest in an old oak tree in the nw pasture and we loved watching the little ones learning to fly.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Oh, I would have loved to see the little ones learning to fly! ;)

Guess what? The hawk came back a few minutes ago. It landed on the power line that runs to the house and sat there looking at me through the window! That was cool. It was close enough so that I got a real good look at its face--the yellow band of skin across the beak, the markings on its head, everything. Cool.

Maybe Joanne (jdkiggins) will drop in and tell us about the hawks she sees. There are tons of them around her place!

DeborahM

Registered
Reaction score
That is soooo cool! To be that close!

One time my mom was having her morning coffee at the table by a big picture window and a red headed woodpecker, sat on the sill watching her and pecking at the window. She talked to it through the glass and it would peck back at her until it got tired and flew off.

She went out and put more birdseed out and it flew back to eat while she finished her coffee watching.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
That's amazing! The woodpecker was communicating with your mom. It must have worked--she put more birdseed out. lol!

Wild birds are so smart. Whenever 'ours' run out of favorite seeds in the feeders, or if somebody is hogging everything and won't let anybody else eat, one or more will come tap at the windows until I go see what they need. They even come to the right room and peck at the window nearest me!

Hmm...that might not be a good thing. They know how to find me. :D

DeborahM

Registered
Reaction score
Imagine, a pea sized brain and able to communicate as they do with you, I and others.

I feed doves. During January I can count anywhere from 60 to 70 flying through and stopping here for food! Can go through 3 50# bags in 2 weeks before they take off again.

It should be inspiring for those with larger brains for what they can accomplish!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Oh, how neat! Hawks are so cool. Only weird thing that ever ended up in my bird feeder was a RAT that shimmied up the pole somehow a few years ago. Yeesh! (I've never seen another rat anywhere near my property.)

Hang on... I'm going to go get a photo that is probably silly and pointless, but I think is cool...

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
:eek: You know, I think rats can get just about anywhere! I watch them through binoculars sometimes and they're kinda cute, in a weird sort of way. (Where's Rattitude?? I know she loves rats! Did we lose her in the last blackout?)

Deborah, the funny thing was, when the hawk was on the power line awhile ago, there were THREE doves on the line, too! Must have been a cease fire or something. :)

Jenna, can't wait to see your picture!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
LOL. I hope you weren't too excited about it, because I'm probably just silly.

We were on vacation in the Catskills, and there were tons of eagles and hawks flying around the lake where we kayaked. I took so many pictures and none of them came out well because my camera doesn't do close ups well. This one, though... if you look closely at it, you can see the eagle's head (lower left, and upper right). It's flying through trees, and I sorta like the artsy motion!

eagleweb.jpg

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
OMG! I can make out the head pretty well! In the upper right, I can see the white of its head and the shape of its beak. Cooool.

I don't remember ever being that close to an eagle. How awesome. And artsy. :D

DeborahM

Registered
Reaction score
A - there is a time where they decide to get along and that sounded like one of them.

Jenna - I can see it! That is really cool looking, all you have to do is let your eyes rest and it pops out at you!

Speaking of rats...ugh!

I looked out my kitchen window to my spa which cascades into the pool and there sat a baby rat. I thought it was dead, and had thoughts of having to add a whole lot of chlorine to the pool, as I walked outside to check on him.

No, he was just taking a nap, resting as the cool water rejuvenated him. He scampered off and I haven't seen him since. Thank goodness! I have to admit it was cute...but it was cuter leaving.

Last edited:

the bunny hugger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think one of my proudest moments was at a university residential college. When I moved in they totally couldn't even undertsand why I was so fascinated by rats. About three days befor I left a black rat balanced on the window sill and looked into the dining room. And everyone was quite excited and piinted it out to me and asked what kind it was. Almost 100 people all happy to see a rat ;)

I an plagued by mice at work right now. We are trying to kill them off but I am so weak. I lifted a box and found a bunch of pink baby mice. I crept off and let the mother retreive them... they always have a second nest site somewhere to tuck them away...

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
You've got that right, Anne. You would have to mention hawks when I was just about to go to bed. LOL I stayed up just for you, Anne and scanned a few photos I had taken. Hmmm You're getting to know me too well. ;)

Here are pictures of the three I caught before they flew off from the trees just above our barn.
1hawk.jpg
2hawks.jpg

This picture is a close up of one of them flying away.
hawkflying1.jpg

And this picture is of one of the hawks sitting on the fence post in my yard.
hawkonfence1.jpg

This one is of a bald eagle that flew over our campground in Florida when we were on vacation three years ago. A little blurry, but what do you want for about a thousand feet in the sky? lol
baldeaglefl.jpg

Jenna, I loved your picture.

DeborahM

Registered
Reaction score
Jo! I so appreciate your staying up and scanning the pics into the post for us!

They are awesome!

Thanks again!

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Since Jenna brought up the eagle, and I'm still up because Anne brought up the hawks, I pulled out a few more pics from that vacation. Thought you might like to see an eagle nest. They build them in the tops of telephone poles down in Florida. In the first one, if you look real close you can see the top of the eagle's head in the center of the nest.
eagleinnest1.jpg

In this one the eagle is flapping its wings.
eaglesinnest22.jpg

We must have sat on the side of the road for four hours watching them. They are such beautiful creatures!

Last edited:

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
My goodness! I'd love to see that! What part of Florida was that, Joanne?

Sorry, you can answer this tomorrow. Get some sleep. :D

Thanks for the pictures, Jo! Incredible.

DeborahM

Registered
Reaction score
JD - awesome pics!

Those are so cool! Thanks for staying up and sharing them!

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
We were staying at the Rosalie Campground just outside of Lake Wales, Florida. There were alligators in the lake that walked right up the boat dock, nearly a dozen eagles soaring above us all day, hawks everywhere, and owls at night. That was the best vacation I'd ever taken!

I think I posted some pictures of the alligator, eagles, hawks and owl on my blog in my nature talks in November and December of 2005. I was reminiscing about my trip to Florida and North Carolina. :D

Thanks, Deborah. :)

ETA: Okay, now I'm going to bed.

Last edited:

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
I live on a lake in North Carolina and see lots of red-tailed hawks and some osprey. A raptor center in our area built some nesting platforms high on poles in the surrounding area and the osprey have taken to them. I have a photo of an osprey in one of those nests. I occasionally see one dive down and grab a fish from the lake. I have to find my osprey photos and scan them in sometime. They are beautiful birds.

A few weeks ago, I was at the NC coast and saw a Peregrine Falcon..I wish I had my camera. What a cool bird!

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Bald Eagles winter on the Mississippi River about an hour and a half from me. It's a fun day trip in January or February when cabin fever has settled in to drive to the locks and dams and watch them soar and fish in the river. Once, one landed in the branches of a shorter tree right next to where I was standing to eat his catch. He was close enough you could see all the details with the naked eye and he was very unconcerned by my presence, so I was able to just stand there and watch him dine.

Eagles are amazing creatures.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We had a big visitor to our bird feeder, too :D ...

Copyofbear_feeder.jpg