PDA

View Full Version : Angina and just your average chest pain

Greenwolf103
11-12-2004, 11:11 AM
I thought it was a heart attack. I'd read about "silent" heart attacks and I thought I was having one yesterday, which was a VERY stressful day for me (argued with my hubby all day, stressed out about a bunch of stuff and trying to get the house cleaned up).

Yesterday, when I finally sat down for a five minute break, I did so mainly because I was having trouble breathing. I also had very bad chest pain; it felt like indigestion. But it spread throughout my chest and was pretty significant. I was surprised at how much my arms were sweating. Pretty soon, I was very disoriented. I honestly thought I was going to pass out. I couldn't see anything because my vision was spinning.

But pretty soon the pain went away. A little after that, I was able to walk okay.

I mentioned it to my hubby and he said something about "angina." I looked it up and got this:
www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/...hatIs.html (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Angina/Angina_WhatIs.html)

It says all chest pain incidents should be checked by a doctor. Well, too late for that now. But does it sound like something like this could be more than your average chest pain? I've had low and high blood pressure before in addition to my breathing problems (which are either because of asthma or iron deficiency -- which I've had problems with before, too). But I don't know what this could've been. All the pain was localized in my chest.

Thoughts?

reph
11-12-2004, 01:17 PM
The symptoms you describe do sound like angina. It can be very difficult for doctors to distinguish angina from heartburn. I had an attack of chest pain a year and a half ago (no sweating, dizziness, or vision problems), lasting about two hours and fading gradually. I had an abnormal EKG and was hospitalized for two days. They didn't ask me a single question about stress, although I believe that was the cause.

If I were you, I'd look for suppressed anger.

pianoman5
11-12-2004, 02:22 PM
Greenwolf, I'm not sure you're asking the right forum. You can get good advice here about the gerund and the adverbial clause, but I suspect there's not an MD among us. (I'm a keen amateur gynaecologist, but that doesn't count.)

I can understand your reluctance to consult doctors (8 visits in the past 35 years in my case), especially in the good ol' US of A, where society has elevated medicos and lawyers to the top of the income pyramid while consigning writers to the rung beneath lavatory cleaners; but it's not worth risking your well-being for fear of enriching them further. Your family needs you alive and kicking, and so do we.

It's probably a stress attack, considering the circumstances, and the symptoms can be very similar to angina, but you need to know for sure. Do the right thing by yourself, and your loved ones, by looking for fact rather than comfort.

reph
11-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Pianoman, as I understood Greenwolf's post, she was looking for fact, and I don't think this forum is a bad place to start looking. In a group this size, there's a good chance that several persons will know enough about any common medical condition to answer the basic questions.

pianoman5
11-12-2004, 04:18 PM
True, reph, but it's impossible to diagnose anything over the internet. The only sure way to eliminate concern about a potentially serious condition like this one is, regrettably, by thorough examination. I'm only warning against false comfort.

arrowqueen
11-12-2004, 08:08 PM
If the chest pain was brought on by activity and went away after you sat down and rested, it does sound like angina.

On the other hand, given what you said about your stress levels, it might have been a form of panic attack.

Either way, I think you should get it checked out. Better to be safe than sorry.

Take care,
aq

HollyB
11-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Dawn, I'm a pediatrician, so it's outside my area of expertise, but your symptoms are significant enough that I'd definitely recommend going to see your physician. Today.

And, if it happens again before you see your doctor, dial 911. I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but if you are experiencing angina, it's not something to be taken lightly.

Please go get it checked out and let us all know how you're doing.

:hug

Holly

aka eraser
11-12-2004, 10:00 PM
By all means check it out with a doc but I can volunteer at least one other condition that mimics heart attack-like pain.

I have a hiatus hernia that spazzes out periodically. Trapped gas in the chest can cause excruciating pain, sometimes lasting up to 20 minutes or more at a time. Relief only comes (stop reading if you're easily grossed out) after many, many belches. Sometimes hundreds.

Whatever the cause though, severe pain warrants checking out.

Greenwolf103
11-13-2004, 12:08 AM
Thanks, everyone, for all of your advice and support. It really helps and I appreciate it from each one of you. :hug

I realize you can't diagnose anything over the Internet. I just wanted some opinions on what happened; possibly what it could be, comments on angina, if I should go see a doctor, etc. Your posts have really helped.

And, Frank, you didn't gross me out. :) I've actually experienced the gas buildup before. I know dispelling it isn't very ladylike, but if that's what it takes for me to get through it, then that's what it takes.

Have a great day, everyone.

--Dawn

RichMar
11-13-2004, 03:07 AM
Best bet at this point, and this is only if you have good medical insurance, is to take a thalium stress test. It's good for diagnosing and it's also good, if the test is negative, for panic attacks in that it relieves your mind. Family history is also a good indicator of potential problems.

Since most or all writers are neurotic, we do have our negative, imaginitive moments, but still it's best to check it out.

I'm guessing that Frank's gas problem is his reckless abandonment when he downs a poached salmon.

Apryl
11-13-2004, 10:58 AM
I think Frank's gas was fudge-induced (were those peanut-butter fudge burps or choco-walnut, Frank?)

Seriously, though, my advice would be to get a thorough physical as soon as possible. Don’t wait…don’t put it off.

I had an episode with my husband this summer that scared the daylights out of me. I thought I had lost him, and it happened in less than a minute.

He had lost his job two weeks before and was under tremendous strain. While helping me on a brochure project, he squatted next to me at my computer to look over photographs. It took a while, and his legs got numb, so he stood up to get feeling in them again. After a few moments he said he didn’t feel well and had to sit down. Once he sat down, he said “Everything’s getting white…” and his head lolled to one side. His breathing got very loud and labored. It was if he was asleep, but his eyes were open. I yelled, smacked his cheeks, shook him—nothing. He was totally unresponsive, and his pupils were fixed and dilated.

I shouted for my daughter to call 911, and yelled out that I thought Daddy was having a stroke. When the operator came on the line and I was describing what was happening, he stopped breathing. STOPPED! Thirty seconds…one minute…no breath sounds. I was just about to yank him out of the chair onto the floor and start CPR when his body jerked and he “woke up.” He was disoriented, sweating, and grey-faced. The paramedics arrived, gave him an EKG in the living room, stuck and IV into him and off we roared in an ambulance to the hospital. I’ve never been so frightened in my life.

He got medical care right away, and is fine now, but we learned our lesson. Don’t bank on the chance that if your symptoms go away, they won’t come back. Pay attention to your body, and don’t let stress get the better of you. I’ll never forget those moments of sheer panic--looking into my husband’s blue eyes and finding him “gone.” We just never know…

reph
11-13-2004, 11:26 AM
Dawn, I agree that you should have a physical and tell the doctor what happened. The problem about chest pain is, it's hard enough to identify the cause (heart? esophagus? intercostal muscles?) during an episode, and it's even harder to identify it afterward.

Apryl, if I may ask, what was your husband's diagnosis after that frightening event?

Greenwolf103
11-13-2004, 10:16 PM
Apryl, that is very scary!! I'm so glad he came out of it okay. I, too, hope to know what the diagnosis was.

And, yes, I'll see about getting a physical ASAP. (Haven't yet because I need someone to drive me -- not driving too much at the moment, unless I really have to.)

ChunkyC
11-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Yikes, Dawn & Apryl!!

Apryl: I hope your hubby is okay now. :hug

Dawn: don't put it off, girl. We all :heart about you and want you to be well.

Apryl
11-15-2004, 06:22 AM
Hubby's fine now. His diagnosis in the ER was Vasovagal Syncope. Looking this up in a medical terminology site, I came up with this...

Vasovagal reaction: A reflex of the involuntary nervous system that causes the heart to slow down (bradycardia) and that, at the same time, affects the nerves to the blood vessels in the legs permitting those vessels to dilate (widen). As a result the heart puts out less blood, the blood pressure drops, and what blood is circulating tends to go into the legs rather than to the head. The brain is deprived of oxygen and the fainting episode occurs. The vasovagal reaction is also called a vasovagal attack. The resultant fainting is synonymous with situational syncope, vasovagal syncope, vasodepressor syncope, and Gower syndrome which is named for Sir William Richard Gower (1845-1915), a famous English neurologist.

We think it was an unusual combination of stress, dehydration, and prolonged squatting that brought this on. It seems to have been an isolated incident, but we're taking no chances! I've never seen a person faint with their eyes open, though...and what was with the heavy breathing??

"If the plural of louse is lice, shouldn't the plural of spouse be...spice?" Makes sense to me...

Kempo Kid
11-15-2004, 11:08 AM
OK,what does it mean when you hve stabbing pains n your left side just under the ribs?

'm figuring it's just stress. I've been under a lot of that lately. I certainly hope it's nothing serious,becaus I have no money and no insurance. I'm going to hav to bring in aluminum cans to recycle to get busfare for later this wek.

My sympathies go out to those in this thread who are ill.

Jyndral
11-15-2004, 11:22 AM
My day job (ha!) is doing medical transcription for a company that does physicals for people applying for Social Security Disablity benefits. I've learned quite a bit -- scratch that -- A LOT more than I ever thought I wanted to know about medical conditions and issues.

One thing is this: Chest pain is never "just" chest pain. It's always a sign that something needs to be looked at NOW. Even if it's "just" stress.

So, all that said, I'm with those encouraging you to get it checked out.

Greenwolf103
11-16-2004, 01:59 AM
Thank you so much, CC and Jen!! :hug My mom freaked out about it and blamed my hubby, saying he almost made me have a heart attack.

I am going to get it checked out, though. I'm not putting it off, just having a hard time getting anywhere.

aka eraser
11-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Re: my previous post. Can you say "irony" boys and girls? I knew you could!

A week ago I was having severe "hiatus hernia" pain. Finally went to the ER. I failed Diagnostics 101. It was a heart attack. A few days, lots of needles and one angioplasty later, I'm baaaaaaaa-ack!

Get checked out Dawn dear. Make time. :)

Sandellen
11-22-2004, 01:46 AM
Glad you're still kicking, Frank. I would have been SO upset if my subscriber base had suddenly been cut in half!:)

My boyfriend's mother had a torturous pain that turned out to be gall stones just two weeks ago. After her gall bladder was removed, they discovered she had a malignant tumor inside the gall bladder. That was fortunate--because gall bladder cancer is rare and almost never caught early. The attack gave the docs a chance to catch it and treat it early.

Take good care of yourself.

Sandra

RichMar
11-22-2004, 02:34 AM
Glad you're still with us, Frank. Maybe you can start a topic on how much you've learned from the trauma. We writers are so volatile--one minute so invincible, the next so much a hostage to fate.

As shocking as it was, it's still grist for the mill.

Go(o)d save.

Greenwolf103
11-22-2004, 03:40 AM
Frank, I'm so glad to hear you are still among us!!

I will get out to a doctor as soon as I find a way to. There's an ER about 5 minutes from me but walking there isn't an option.

It's good that we get minor warning signs to catch the big things.

aka eraser
11-22-2004, 05:33 AM
Thanks Sandra, Rich and Dawn.

And yep, it's all grist for the mill. Some's just a bit more painful to grind. ;)

arrowqueen
11-22-2004, 08:33 AM
We're glad - but there's a lot of fish out there, muttering under their breath!

Great to hear you're on the mend though.

aq
xxx

RichMar
11-22-2004, 07:18 PM
So much for all that Omega-3-laden Salmon, Frank?

aka eraser
11-23-2004, 12:47 AM
Thanks AQ. :)

So much for all that Omega-3-laden Salmon, Frank?

sigh....but walleye is lean! I LOVE walleye! Crispy, golden-fried....

fried....

sigh....

RichMar
11-23-2004, 03:42 AM
How were your indicators, lad? B.P., Cholesterol, etc?
Were you on statens? Aspirin a day?

We need to get to the bottom of this--8 ounce sinkers and all.

RichMar
12-03-2004, 11:44 PM
I take lipitor. My Cholesterol is 153--although I've been
experiencing chest pains this past week. Had a nuclear stress-test yesterday. The doctor called today and said he found a "slight abnormality." I'll be seeing him Monday.

Odd, I whizzed through the tread mill. Starting with a 115/60 bp & 65 pulse and ending with a 160/50 bp & 138 pulse at the climax--and all during the test I was counseling the doc on the importance of smoking and drinking to maintain good health. I think he might've enjoyed finding something.

ChunkyC
12-04-2004, 12:26 AM
Fingers crossed that it's nothing serious, Rich.

RichMar
12-04-2004, 12:48 AM
I doubt it, C, but thanks. I figure if the good doc didn't insist on an immediate visit, it can't be all that serious. My biggest concern is the number of precious bad habits I may need to curtail.

maestrowork
12-04-2004, 12:56 AM
115/60 bp is a little low, don't you think? But your cholesterol is good. Mine was as high as 220 at one point and my bp was at 140/90... but they're getting better now.

aka eraser
12-04-2004, 03:11 AM
At one time, several years ago, my cholesterol was high enough that my Doc wanted me to take part in a study in Montreal. I nixed that idea. Also nixed visiting him again for a couple of years. When I did go back, my numbers were still in the "high" range, but well down from what they'd been previously. I told him I'd added garlic supplements to my diet and cut down some on my ice cream intake. I think he made a note.

I'm on Lipitor too (along with a few other chemmies) so I guess the numbers are still at least high-ish. I see my family Doc next week and he'll set something up with a local cardiologist after that. I'll try to pay attention to the numbers tossed around. One that sticks in my mind though was my blood pressure when I was in emergency: 197/178. That's when the flurry of nurses and doctors started happening.

I hope it's nothing serious too Rich. Hindsight's always perfect of course but it's best to pay attention to the wee warnings before they turn into 5-alarm klaxons.

Had another sobering reminder of our fragility yesterday. A University buddy of mine who went on to relative fame up here as Ottawa Bureau chief of a national TV network died suddenly. Apparently he was diagnosed with cancer just a matter of a few weeks ago. Must have been a particularly nasty and virulent strain. He was a straight arrow, didn't smoke, exercised, doted on his family; just as nice a guy as you'd ever want to know. Dang it.

RichMar
12-04-2004, 03:48 AM
197/178 is not what you want for BP--a boiler reading in a skyscraper, maybe. Some of the extra digits can be attributed to apprehension from the not-quite-yourself feeling, but not THAT much.

My father died of a heart attack at 45. But that was when the only remedies were nitro, no smoking, and don't--believe it or not--exercise. My mother's still kicking, probably more than most of us, at eighty-nine.

And then there's your friend's fate.

We are almost immortals except for the fact that we aren't.

reph
12-04-2004, 05:01 AM
"115/60 bp is a little low, don't you think?"

No, those are good numbers. Better to score in the low end of the normal range than in the high end.

Jyndral
12-04-2004, 06:24 AM
No, 115/60 is actually pretty good. The "limit" for normal now is 120/80.

A lot of docs (mine included) don't even consider "borderline" high BP anymore saying anything over that is high.

arrowqueen
12-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Better to have low BP than high. You might keel over if you stand up too quickly, but that's probably better than the top of your head exploding.

Stay healthy, boys. We love you!

Cheers,
aq

HollyB
12-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Low BP is definitely better than high, in fact, it usually indicates the patient exercises regularly.

Can I ask for a status report on our good patients? Frank recuperating? Dawn get checked out? Hope you're both doing okay! :D

aka eraser
12-04-2004, 09:56 PM
I'm doing very well Holly, thanks for asking. Still some pain and bruising in my leg/groin but other than that, no complaints. :)

RichMar
12-04-2004, 10:27 PM
Here in Long Island we have a famous Heart Hospital--St. Francis. They do the angiogram/plasty through the wrist--you don't have to stay in bed for hours after the procedure and there's very little soreness or bruising.

Kempo Kid
12-06-2004, 12:01 PM
My uncle died at the age of 49 (younger than I am now) of a heart attack. Didn't smoke, didn't drink (had taken the Pledge), exercised regularly (met his wife through a hiking club), and loved his family.

My mother smokes too much, drinks too much, doesn't eat right, and never exercises (especially now that TVs come with remotes), and she's a miserable, mean, unhappy woman. And she turned 80 this year.

Sometimes there just ain't no justice. I have high cholesterol, but at least my blood pressure's OK (about 110/65).

RichMar
12-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Miserable, mean, unhappy people tend to be stress-free since they're good at passing on any of their own stress to others.

Ooops. Artery blockage--scheduled for an angioplasty on Friday. I figure Frank sneezed on his keyboard while I was viewing one of his posts.

ChunkyC
12-07-2004, 12:48 AM
Artery blockage -- glad they caught it, Rich. Best wishes for a smooth procedure on Friday.

aka eraser
12-07-2004, 02:01 AM
Ooops. Artery blockage--scheduled for an angioplasty on Friday. I figure Frank sneezed on his keyboard while I was viewing one of his posts.

Nuh-uh. Then you would have caught this stupid cold.

Glad they caught it early in the game Rich. You'll feel better-than-new just a day or two after. I'll be thinking of you on Friday. Make sure you keep us posted.

LiamJackson
12-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Glad to hear they caught the problem, Rich. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

ritinrider
12-09-2004, 09:31 AM
Just checking on the health of welfare of those recently chosen to help put their doctor's children through college. Is everyone on the mend and tending to business as ususal yet? Hope everyone is on the mend and back to writing, or not writing whatever the case may be.

Nita

maestrowork
12-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Everyone stays healthy, okay? At least through the holidays.... then I'm scheduled to have an angina.

Wait, I thought that was something dirty...

ChunkyC
12-10-2004, 01:22 AM
Like -- The Angina Monologues?

aka eraser
12-10-2004, 01:44 AM
LOL Chunk. :D

RichMar
12-10-2004, 02:52 AM
Hey, I didn't know how to put this, and like any self-respecting writer, I procrastinated. When I saw the cardiologist on Monday he had me go to emergency--what with at least one blockage showing up on the nuclear test and my continuing chest pains. I spent that day in emergency and half of the following day in what they call "holding."

I went into the catherization complex around 5P on Tuesday. (incidentally, Frank, that wrist approach I talked about turned out to be used only when it's exploratory. I got the groin approach.)

After watching my arteries show up on a screen looking like undernourished nightcrawlers, my doc paused and said to me "You feel like going home right after I'm through?"

I enthusiastically nodded.

He said I had a false positive on the nuclear test. I said, "This surprises the hell out of me."

He said, "Surprised the hell out of me too."

Not hours before this I was signing papers for permission for them to stint me, and another just-in-caser on emergency open-heart surgery.

Now all I need to find out is why I'm having chest pains. I'm figuring it's because I recently had a bad chest cold, and, coupled with my smoking, I might've pulled a muscle(s) in my chest.

aka eraser
12-10-2004, 04:01 AM
That's a tough route to travel to get good news but it is good news. I'm happy for you Rich. Gotta be a load off your mind (if not your chest or groin).

By the way, I found ice packs helpful around days 3-5 or so. Results may vary though I suppose.

Happy I can scratch "worry about Rich" off my to-do list tomorrow.

ChunkyC
12-10-2004, 04:10 AM
A great big *whew!* for you, Rich.

RichMar
12-10-2004, 04:33 AM
Thanks, guys.

Actually, I don't think I'm as sore as you were, Frank. They used this new "plug" thingy that doesn't require the medicos to apply a lot of pressure to the puncture after the wire(s) is removed. It plugs the puncture from the inside and biodegrades in a few days. Today I walked my dog a good mile with no soreness afterwards.

aka eraser
12-10-2004, 06:19 AM
OK, add "jealous" to "glad for you."

Hehehe.

Lori Basiewicz
12-10-2004, 06:28 AM
Glad to hear about the false positive, Rich.

arrowqueen
12-10-2004, 06:46 AM
What a relief, Rich. I'm so glad to hear you didn't have to have the op.

Cheers,
aq

reph
12-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Rich, there's something called "variant angina." It's chest pain when there's no arterial blockage. The literature I could find online is fuzzy on causes. I believe it can be produced psychosomatically, as a response to stress, by either constricting the walls of vessels or contracting muscles around the heart. Either process would be unconscious. Muscles might go into spasm for other reasons, too.

Jyndral
12-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Just checking on the health of welfare of those recently chosen to help put their doctor's children through college.

Good news (?): My doc doesn't have children. :)

Bad news: I gotta go see him tomorrow to have a plantar wart hopefully removed. Those suckers HURT!

Jyndral
12-10-2004, 09:54 AM
That's entirely possible. Chest wall pain from the cold and what you say about smoking.

Ack!!

*stuffs the transcriptionist in the trash can*

sugarmuffin
12-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Richmar, glad you got the thumbs up from the heart doc.

RichMar
12-10-2004, 06:32 PM
Thanks, all.

Now the hard part: how do I turn the experience into a good piece of humor?

maestrowork
12-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Do the Angina Monologue, the Rich edition.

ChunkyC
12-11-2004, 12:17 AM
Y'know, Rich and Frank, there could be a book in there. Gather a bunch of recollections from folks who have gone through the whole chest pain thing, tell them with a humourous slant, and voila, THE ANGINA MONOLOGUES. You could approach the heart associations in Canada and the US for tie-ins, portion of the proceeds to the appropriate charities, encourage folks to keep their heart healthy, that sort of thing. Whaddya think?

Greenwolf103
12-11-2004, 12:43 AM
LOL

Anyway, I got checked out. I'm okay but I was told that a certain factor of my life puts me at risk for heart attacks. This is probably why that happened and a nurse said I was probably having a mild heart attack. Of course I'm going to look into an alternative to that "factor" (don't wanna say publicly what it is) and in the meantime focus on maintaining good heart health.

RichMar
12-11-2004, 01:29 AM
That nurse is way out of line. Blood tests and ekg's are the indicators in judging the possibility of a recent heart attack. MD's are the only folks who should be talking to you on that matter.

That nurse sounds more like a yenta than a medical professional.

tjosban
12-11-2004, 03:10 AM
I'm glad all of you are okay. I would buy the Angina Monologues btw. Even my dogs look at me funny when I laugh out loud reading this forum.

You very well could have had a panic attack. They do very odd things to your body.

I have a suggestion for all of you:

Have sex.

Two reasons

1. It raises the your 'feel-good' hormone, Seratonin, thereby relieving stress. Actually chocolate does this too, so if you're anti-sex, consume dark chocolate as it has many benefits.

2. It counts as exercise. 8 calories a minute in fact. Exercise reduces stress levels, is heart friendly (at least most of the time). Don't overdo it though. :rollin

I guess walking would do too, maybe not as fun though. And after said activity above, you and your spouse/significant other should be in a good mood. :lol

Just a thought. ;)

RichMar
12-11-2004, 03:29 AM
I'm assuming you meant that sex consumes 8 calories a minute. That means I can knock off 2 calories per episode. Times that by 12 means that I can burn 24 calories per annum.

I'll try the chocolate.

maestrowork
12-11-2004, 05:38 AM
Rich, you're a lucky guy.

reph
12-11-2004, 08:15 AM
I'm assuming you meant that sex consumes 8 calories a minute. That means I can knock off 2 calories per episode.

Don't forget the 80 calories expended afterward in apologizing.

robertquiller
12-11-2004, 09:08 AM
Don't forget the 80 calories expended afterward in apologizing.

Or, with such an expectation, the 80 burned in trepidation before.

~ R.Q.

RichMar
12-11-2004, 10:01 PM
I like your "half-full" attitudes, folks. I might add that after each of our trysts she prepares meals that are somewhat lacking in taste and calories.

That's love.

arrowqueen
12-12-2004, 05:18 AM
What? All that swinging from the chandelier only burns up 8 calories a minute? Dammit!

aka eraser
12-12-2004, 06:56 AM
Make room for me in that dream too willya AQ? ;)

Yeshanu
12-15-2004, 04:57 AM
:lol

You guys crack me up...

Nateskate
12-18-2004, 09:20 AM
Generally information in the hands of a layman can be dangerous. People like to talk themselves out of going to see doctors, and to convince themselves they have a handle on the problem.

Guys are particularly bad with this. But in general, if you tend to blow off check-ups, it isn't wise to begin doing so when chest pain and shortness of breath are combined, nor with dizziness or sweating.

In some cases, you'll be happy to find out you were alarmed about nothing, which is always the best news to hear. But if you find that out, then you'll stop ruminating about it and can put a smile back on your face. Going to a competent doctor is the wisest course of action whenever you see any combination of the above symptoms.

ChunkyC
12-19-2004, 06:10 AM
So much for my Angina Monologues idea. CBC Radio had a show on heart health the other day, and guess what I heard while listening?

Heart and stroke message taken to Saskatchewan (http://sask.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=heartstroke011126)

Then I googled it and began to wonder if I was ever going to have a truly original idea.... *sigh*

maestrowork
12-19-2004, 07:07 AM
For a second, I thought you wrote: Stroke Massage.

aka eraser
12-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Wishful thinking Ray. ;)

And Chunk, it was new to me and I loved that line. :)

shaynexus
12-29-2004, 03:29 AM
Any questionable chest pain deserves a trip to the Hospital emergency department. Heart attacks range from silent to excruciating, from typical to highly atypical--but they are all deadly. A caveat: if you experience chest discomfort not previously worked up and proven to be benign, call 911. Drving yourself can be deadly. Many, many people have died en route to medical care. Ambulances bring it to your door in minutes and are prepared to treat you in the worst case senario.
Once a benign cause for your discomfort is ascertained, only then might you be more cavalier about future episodes.
May I add that to seek advice about your chest discomfort via a writers' website is the most extreme of follies. I hope you are still alive to heed this reply.

RichMar
12-29-2004, 04:24 AM
Hey, check out all the posts. My take is that we said all the right things. Maybe the writing boards you've been visiting don't offer this particular health service.

Ah, the cavalier disposition here is just our way of putting a potential patient at ease--and, I might add, without a huge medical bill, not even a copay.

reph
12-29-2004, 05:24 AM
Shay, the emergency had passed before the patient posted here. And we did tell her to have a checkup.