Is writing your career or a hobby?? Do you have another job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bridal Blossoms

I've always loved writing and finally started putting my ideas to paper. But I have another love too- Weddings! I have my own business- I do floral design for weddings and I am a wedding coordinator.

Winter time is my slow time- no weddings to do!!! So lately I've been really doing alot of writing!! I've been working on a wedding planning book, but there are already so many out there. I'm trying to think of something different that will make people want to buy mine.

reph

Re: Is writing your career or a hobby?? Do you have another

"Career" and "hobby" aren't the only possible choices. Many people who write haven't made a career of it but wouldn't want it called a hobby.

I write mostly puzzles for magazines. I think of it as part-time freelance work. (However, on one side I have the magazine publishers telling me it's a hobby, so they don't have to pay much, and on the other side I have the city telling me it's a business, so they can tax it.) I don't have another job.

Shadow Ferret

It's a hobby that one day I'd like to make a career.

poppyhullings

I'm a stay-at-home wife and mother if you count that as a job.;)

I mostly write poetry, ideas for greeting cards, and the occasional short fiction piece. I don't depend on the money for a living so that likely makes a difference in how I approach the business. So I guess I'd consider my writing a hob, a hobby/job where I have a lot of fun, and make a little extra cash. It's something that I do for me, to give myself a sense of accomplishment. As a wife and mother, I often feel like my life is all about taking care of my husband and daughter, but writing gives me that 'hey, you have other talents besides cooking and cleaning' feeling.

:)

Selenia692

Chiming in :)

It's a career for me. I've been writing as my primary source of income since May. I work mostly with non fiction, and write on just about any subject that catches my fancy. I can't help it, I like diversity :)

I do, however, have a bit of a side hobby that brings money in at times. I make hemp and beaded jewelry and take it around to craft shows and flea markets during the summer.

RichMar

Ahh

There is a more lucrative hobby in the hemp department.

I'm retired from a non-writing profession. Since I don't make any real money from writing, and the fact that I can't not write, I suppose it is a hobby.

rtilryarms

Re: Ahh

hmm. I guess I made writing a goal, not really a hobby. I want to be able to leave a couple of works for future generations. I suppose that's why I am writing about things based on real events.
It would have been really cool to have read about my Great Grandfather as a Confederate Surgeon in the Civil War or of my relative that Named the city of Orlando.
So I will leave them something to read and I will make it really really exciting.

Yes, I will lie alot lol

veingloree

I just calll it 'part-time freelancing' as I only write for $ -- but mostly I am an animal behaviour researcher.

Kempo Kid

Writing is my career, since it's what I spend 40 hours a week doing at my day job. Fiction writing--it seems cheap to call it "just a hobby." I refer to it as a sideline. I have gotten paid for it and published, but I'm a far cry from it being any significant part of my income. (I'm working on that. Sigh.)

MissKathyClarke

Well, I don't have a job yet, but my plans are to become a teacher and keep writing, but plans can change...

katdad

I'm in between. Right now I'm semi-retired and make some money as a consultant. I do technical and engineering consulting on documents like PhD theses and papers and resumes for individuals. I also help small firms with their user's manuals and advertising / marketing document design.

I also sell the occasional article or review but that's pin money.

But I recently signed with an agency and they are now shopping my private detective novels around.

So in 2005 I hope to make the transition to full time mystery novelist.

Mind you, a first sale won't likely be enough money, but I hope it will be the entry point.

maestrowork

Career? Hobby?

Writing is my "career" now -- but I'm not "making a living" doing that yet. Meaning: it's my "job" now but it's the kind of job that the actual pay would not be up front or regular. I have to get into the habit of telling myself that "writing" is work, even though I don't have a steady pay check coming in every month.

Since I left the corporate world in February, I've been offered a weekly column (pay) and published (pay). I've written articles (non-pay). I'm in the position of doing a regular freelance gig with a major newspaper. I'm writing my next novel (slowly, however) and in 2005 hopefully I will be a published novelist. I have other sources of income (investments, etc.). So I can now safely declare that I'm a "full-time" writer, even though, in true slacker bum fashion, I don't work 8 hours a day.

I saved like crazy for a few years when I worked as a highly paid consultant. The effort paid off.

I have many hobbies and interests, and I'm skilled and trained in many things (IT, computers, graphics design, Web design, massage therapy, business analysis and management, editing, technical writing, etc.) but I'm not pursuing any of those now. Writing is all I'm focusing on these days -- apart from enjoying life, taking it slow and easy. Having a little nest egg and investment income really helps. ;)

Gala

Do you tell people you're unemployed?

People can and will say anything on the internet. I usually let it go.

Maestro, in another thread recently you made a big point of telling someone at a Kerry function, "I am unemployed" and you said something to the effect he fell silent. I believe your point was you are unemployed because of the Bush ecomony.

I replied I was sorry to hear that cuz I had the impresison from your posts you were employed, etc.

And now you're saying it again. I'm sorry, but I think you lied to that guy. Your priviledge...even if you were fired and are getting unemployment, you're still working according to your above post.

No hard feelings...it's the Internet after all. I wish you well.

Gala

Employed writer

Bridal--

I'm an employed writer. I have never considered writing a hobby. My life is devoted to success as writer.

Indeed, when asked what I do I say, "I write." The response is usually, "Yeah but what do you do?"

lol

maestrowork

Re: Employed writer

Gala, I make $25 a week from my current "employment." If that makes me "employed" then so be it. I don't have a contract, and I am not salaried, and no companies "own" me. I don't have health insurance and I don't have benefits such as 401K or pension.

My freelance income does not make me "employed."

Investments have nothing to do with my employment status.

I never take any unemployment benefits.

I was "unemployed" partially because of the Bush economy. I can tell you more if you're interested. Just because I saved a lot of money while I was working so I'm not desperately seeking employment doesn't make my "unemployed" status a lie.

I mean, if I have no job but go out and work on someone's lawn for $20 raking leaves on a Saturday, does it make me employed? Thus rendering me unable to tell that snob at Oktoberfest to shut up about how great Bush was?

So, no, no hard feelings.

Gala

white space

Maestro,
This is a case or reader filling in the blanks. When I hear unemployed, I hear no income, and not working, and in particular, looking for work but unable to get it.

Next time I hear that term I won't assume the worst for the person ;)

Glad you're making the most of your "unemployment." (but maybe you could've said "I write" and the dude would've made the same assumptions I did for unemployment. lol.)

Good luck.

Cary

Maestro !!!

You dawg !!! All those noodles an massage therapy too ??? (Were you saving that for the sushi date ??) Heh. How did you get to be so multitalented ???
Enquiring minds wanna know....:p Carybella

maestrowork

Re: Maestro !!!

Carybella, treat me to sushi and find out. :) I have really nice, soft hands!

Gala, I hear you. I didn't say I was "unemployed" to gather sympathy though. ;) I could easily make $15,000 instead of $2000 a year working at McDonald's, but why would I? :) The reason I told off that guy at the festival was that he was being snide and condescending (dont ever tell ME who to vote for, please!) so I just snapped back with a sarcastic remark, which was not untrue.

Yes, I should have said writer! But it wouldn't have that barb I desired. ;) I'd just get a sneer/smirk from the jerk.

Nateskate

Re: Hey guys and gals

Interesting thread.

I'm working full time, and have never been paid for writing. That doesn't mean that I haven't done any serious writing. I've had serious writings disseminated about through various modes, and I've had the fortunate opportunity to speak in front of some fairly large gatherings.

I've also written songs that were recorded by others.

I've had people pushing me to publish my serious works for years, but for the most part, I always made those things public domain, somewhat out of principle, which I won't explain here.

For a number of years, I've written works of fiction. And people passed them around, once again saying, "You're in the wrong profession, you should be writing..."

So, I took them seriously, and wrote a number of stories. However, over the years they stayed buried in my closet. Time after time I'd see my stories (similar stories) become famous, even made into movies, and I realized that some stories are time dependent, especially sci-fi.

I wrote two sci-fi and two murder mysteries with romantic twists. The murder mysteries were cutting edge when they were written, and sitting on them was a serious mistake. But at the time, they needed editing which I could not afford, having a family and one income. And I saw the last of my "Sci-fi" ideas go out the window, when I saw a movie being released this year is based on my idea. Even if I had the idea for these stories long ago, now I'd be a copycat if I tried to have them published.

So, what to do? I had several writings that I had done, which were timeless stories. And I decided to conbine elements from three into one piece. It is now one giant Epic Fantasy. Unlike Sci-fi/Medical mysteries (germ manipulation...etc) stories, most Epic Fantasies are relevent as long as the message is relevent.

This will be the first time that I attempt to publish.

The Knowing Skull

Re: Hey guys and gals

I've written for the past eight years. I've been published in independent magazines. Now, due to an illness, it has become my sole occupation. I plan to turn it into a career.

The Knowing Skull

Re: > Re: Hey guys and gals

Pretty much anything that runs outside of corporate owned magazines with wide distribution could be considered 'independent'. They are typically small-press publications with a narrow range of interests and a specific type of reader. If you've read SUN or UTNE, you could get a good idea.A Google search brings up over 8,000 hits for the phrase 'independent magazine', displaying interests catering to various interests. The ones I've typically been published in had an interest with the American pulp era, and did not see wide distribution.

triceretops

Howdy, Mr Skull!

I'm a transplant myself, and just love this place. I used
fictionaddiction agents listing to garner four agents that want my samples, so there must be a bit of luck attached to that previous site. But here, at AW is where I'm going back to school.

Tri

The Knowing Skull

Hi triceretops.
Nice to meet you. This board does seem to be a vibrant one. Since I already spend some time on the ezboards, it seems quite natural. I'm excited about building new relationships with the writers on this board and making new friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.