Disappointing Mysteries

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Have you ever been disappointed in or dissatisfied by a mystery book? What specifically has turned you off?

I just finished a book that failed to explain a major incident from the first third of the book. I kept hoping to find out why this incident was important, but in the denouement, nada. Now it will bug me.

So, what has made you finish a book without a smile at the end?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing is more disappointing to me than a promising beginning and disappointing finish. I read one fairly recently that started out with an interesting story. It began to fall apart somewhere in the last third. All these other characters suddenly began appearing and huge amounts of flashbacks and backstory were dumped in. It just turned into a mess. The ending didn't even make sense. Worst of all, the author suddenly switched points of view abruptly. It was dreadful and I felt so cheated. I had read this author before and liked her books, but this one turned me off enough I haven't read any more by her.

OmenSpirits.com

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.omenspirits.com
never finished a book that did satisfy. If it didn't keep me from the first few pages, I'm not the type to soldier through, thinking that it'll get better. If somewhere in the later chapters, that beginning incident hadn't been made mentioned, then it was a red herring, or something the author got bored with and left it there for filler, concentrating on the main plot and hoping you wouldn't notice.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane, although I enjoyed Mystic River by the same author.

Many people give Shutter Island high marks for being clever and love the ending; to me the author didn't "play fair" with the reader and the ending was more like a "dull thud". After I finished it, I gave it the worse "thumbs down" that someone can: I wished I hadn't even read it.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Not a mystery, but a crime thriller. It had an intriguing story about a murder in Washington DC with all the promise of the politics and scandals that come with it. The author spent the whole book building up on these scandals, hinting at different motives, setting all the suspects in place--and it turned out to be a random killing motivated by coincidence.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I hate the "somebody unrelated to the plot did it" twist! What a cop out.

KatRiley

Registered
Reaction score
A high school english teach once told the class we weren't allowed to kill any characters off in the last page. It was a cop out - something you did when you just didn't know what else to do.

Now, I don't agree with this as an absolute guideline. Some very good stories make this work. But whenever I get to the end and someone dies, I do a mental check - did they need to die? I really hate it when the answer is no. The author just didn't know how else to finish it up.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes, the death does seem inevitable and makes sense (Hamlet), but a lot of times it's just for Pathos, and I hate the cheap tear.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
I am disappointed by most mysteries I try to read - sigh. I have a 50 page rule and if it hasn't grabbed me by then, I go on to the next book. One book I read I hated SO much that I refuse to pick up any more of her books (boy was that convoluted). THe entire book was about a child being kidnapped, very intreguing, a real page turner for about 400 pages. Then, on the last page, a doorbell rings and there is the kid standing on the front stoop - no solution, no explanation! AAAGGGGHHHH. The author then nicely said, if you want to find out whodunit, read ..... the next book! I don't bloody think so.

Carlene

Kate Thornton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Carlene, that would have driven me nuts!

I usually end up finishing anything I start to read, even if disappointing, as I might want to write a review of it.

Allynegirl

Wax the Cat
Registered
Reaction score
This was one of Uncle Jim's assignments:
Pick a genre and read award winning novels for the last 10 years. I picked the Edgar Award. I have only really enjoyed 1 book (The Chatham School Affair by Thomas H. Cook) of the ten and was ready to throw
Resurrection Men by Ian Rankin against the wall - Yawn!

Since this is an assignment, I plowed through (took 2 weeks). :rant:

I picked up the next one Silent Joe by T. Jefferson Parker, read the first chapter and thought - no way am I doing plow through another boring mystery, no matter if Uncle Jim says so or not. :Soapbox:

Kate Thornton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Allynegirl said:

I picked up the next one Silent Joe by T. Jefferson Parker, read the first chapter and thought - no way am I doing plow through another boring mystery, no matter if Uncle Jim says so or not. :Soapbox:

Well, T. Jefferson Parker is usually pretty good - what is it about the mysteries you find boring? What do you usually read? Maybe you need some Elmore Leonard or Carl Hiassen to pop it up a notch?

You see, ther thing about mysteries is that - on the whole - they are *engrossing* - so if you are bored by them, then maybe you aren't getting the full measure. "In the Electric Mist With Confederate Dead" by James Lee Burke is a favorite - and anything but boring.

Allynegirl

Wax the Cat
Registered
Reaction score
Kate - I don't know what it is. Maybe I was so put off by the last book that my attitude affected my judgment of it. As I said, I read the first chapter (after reading Resurrection Men - YAWN) and nothing caught my interest until the old man was killed. BUT, even that didn't make me want to turn the page.

Now The Chatham School Affair I read the first chapter while at work. Put it down and thought, I am gonna need quiet time to read this. Then worked my way slowly through that book and savored it. It was wonderful!!

And Bones was excellent too in a different way. I thought it was more of a horror/thriller than a mystery/thriller. I felt very little mystery about what was going on, knew the accomplise (sp?) as soon as they mentioned there was one, but boy was I nervous and goosebumped, etc.

And, I read all the time - SF, fantasy, cozy mysteries, regular mysteries, horror. I love to read! I will have to put Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiassen on my reading list.

I will also add In the Electric Mist With Confederate Dead by James Lee Burke, but Burke's Cimarron Rose threw me out of the story over and over again with all the obsure metaphors and similies. The ending left me very confused.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Well, T. Jefferson Parker is usually pretty good - what is it about the mysteries you find boring? What do you usually read? Maybe you need some Elmore Leonard or Carl Hiassen to pop it up a notch?

I actually find mysteries boring, too. I read some occasionally, but they tend to more intellectual and talky than exciting. That was one of the reasons I moved away from reading mysteries to thrillers. Very different type of story.

MyFirstMystery

Having Fun with Words
Registered
Reaction score
The things that bother me about mysteries are the same things that bother me in other books - an unlikeable protagonist (if I think everyone in the book is a dull moron why should I care about what happens) or actions that dont' match character motivation.

I recently read one where a lifelong federal agent parachuted into a KKK camp, violently beat up one of the gang, kidnapped and interrogated him, drove him out to a "poor black neighborhood" and threw him out on the street where he was murdered. Then he felt guilty about it.

Everything written about that character's motivation and belief system (for two books) was thrown out the window for an improbable "macho" ending.

I need to believe that the character motivation makes sense. Otherwise it just feels like drivel.

MFM

Kate Thornton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
MyFirstMystery said:
The things that bother me about mysteries are the same things that bother me in other books - an unlikeable protagonist (if I think everyone in the book is a dull moron why should I care about what happens) or actions that dont' match character motivation.

I recently read one where a lifelong federal agent parachuted into a KKK camp, violently beat up one of the gang, kidnapped and interrogated him, drove him out to a "poor black neighborhood" and threw him out on the street where he was murdered. Then he felt guilty about it.

MFM

This certainly sounds like drivel to me! I like stories where at least some of the people are smart and their actions, while not completely predictable, make sense.

OmenSpirits.com

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.omenspirits.com
MyFirstMystery said:

Everything written about that character's motivation and belief system (for two books) was thrown out the window for an improbable "macho" ending.

I need to believe that the character motivation makes sense. Otherwise it just feels like drivel.

MFM

ooh, what book was that? Sounds like an interesting read. ;)

seriously.

It sounds like an action oriented book. If so, it really didn't need to stick to conventions.

Like watching Die Hard and seeing Bruce Willis really not wanting to kill the guy who's brother he fights later on.

MACHO!

;)

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I totally disagree, omenspirit. Just because a book is an action book doesnt mean the author can just throw characterization out the window. I read a lot of action (I'm writing one, too) and i hate the ones where the characters do things that are totally out of character just because it makes cool action scenes. It's unbelievable and annoying.

Just because they do that stupid stuff in movies, doesnt mean you can just do that in a novel. And when they do it in movies it totally annoys me too. For example, Tears of the Sun (since you mentioned Bruce Willis. lol) Bad movie because the motivation wasnt there, the situation was created for the sole purpose of action and that annoyed me. A good writer shouldnt have to force the situation. Even if it is action/adventure.

Aubiefan

Registered
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I read The Second Time Around by Mary Higgins Clark, and I was extremely disappointed. The plot was ok, but her writing style was just really unsatisfactory. It was the first Clark book I've read, and will probably be the last. I was amazed, because she is so incredibly successful and yet I thought her style was really, well, below so many other authors I've read, as far as flat characters, filler scenes, and things like that.

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for giving me this opportunity to vent:

Unbelievable violence in the last two Nevada Barr books has really hacked me off. I was drawn to the series because of the locations, characterizations, plotting and the way that the main character was able to use her knowledge and physical skill to get out of dangerous and difficult situations (Blind Descent is one of the scariest mystery/thrillers I have ever read - but then again, it takes place mostly in a cave and I am claustrophobic.) Now the main character is suffering broken bones, torture, gun shot wounds and somehow comes out of alive and well ... sort of.

As for mysteries I enjoy, I've been reading PD James' Adam Daiglish (sp?) series lately and love the way she sets up the situation long before the crime occurs with lots of suspects and reasons for murder. The solution makes sense when I think back over the plot and her red herrings are plausible.

Last edited:

OmenSpirits.com

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.omenspirits.com
nevada said:
I totally disagree, omenspirit. Just because a book is an action book doesnt mean the author can just throw characterization out the window. I read a lot of action (I'm writing one, too) and i hate the ones where the characters do things that are totally out of character just because it makes cool action scenes. It's unbelievable and annoying.

Just because they do that stupid stuff in movies, doesnt mean you can just do that in a novel. And when they do it in movies it totally annoys me too. For example, Tears of the Sun (since you mentioned Bruce Willis. lol) Bad movie because the motivation wasnt there, the situation was created for the sole purpose of action and that annoyed me. A good writer shouldnt have to force the situation. Even if it is action/adventure.

depends on your era of choice for action, drama, thrills, etc.

I read pulp. My reading choices are from about 5 or 6 decades ago.

Some books aren't about characterization, some are just wild rides. Grab ahold, let'er rip!

And out of character? for an action flick? You may have read a little too much into it.

A-C-T-I-O-N. they're not writing war & peace. ;)

If you walk into a film with a certain expectation, & suspend belief, then your anger at it wouldn't be.

When do you see some of the things you see in action flicks in reality?

You don't. Suspension of belief. :)

Last edited:

jpserra

Recovering Gumshoe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnserra.com
Not Again!

KatRiley said:
A high school english teach once told the class we weren't allowed to kill any characters off in the last page. It was a cop out - something you did when you just didn't know what else to do.

Now, I don't agree with this as an absolute guideline. Some very good stories make this work. But whenever I get to the end and someone dies, I do a mental check - did they need to die? I really hate it when the answer is no. The author just didn't know how else to finish it up.

Maybe that was why they were a highschool english teacher! But really, it is a good rule. It must be something every english teacher is taught, since I had a favorite teacher tell me the same exact thing.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
S'Fool said:
Unbelievable violence in the last two Nevada Barr books has really hacked me off.

The publisher is probably encouraging her to turn it in the direction of thriller. From what I understand, that's happening to a lot of mystery writers because mystery doesn't sell as well as thriller. Thriller is more likely to get a writer best seller status than mystery.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
OmenSpirits.com said:
And out of character? for an action flick? You may have read a little troo much into it.

I've seen it myself. It particularly rears its head in the thrillers written by women with women heroines. The heroine will be very competent during the entire story and turn into a compete idiot during the action scene.

Aubrey

Registered
Reaction score
That's as bad as when the women are complete Mary Sues and absolutely brilliant at everything with the requisite bitter ex cop partner serving only as assistant and love interest. *groan*