I just got farked (again)

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I just looked at my statcounter, and I'm getting 2-3 hits a second on my most recent blog post, all coming from this thread on Fark.com. They're leading to this post on my blog. Last time this happened I had 100,000+ hits in three days and was linked all over the place. Three months on that page still gets a residual 100+ hits a day. Woohoo.

But I never know what to do with all this traffic. I'm not keen on putting ads on my site.

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
XThe NavigatorX said:
I just looked at my statcounter, and I'm getting 2-3 hits a second on my most recent blog post, all coming from this thread on Fark.com. They're leading to this post on my blog. Last time this happened I had 100,000+ hits in three days and was linked all over the place. Three months on that page still gets a residual 100+ hits a day. Woohoo.

But I never know what to do with all this traffic. I'm not keen on putting ads on my site.
I think that if you put Google Adsense, there is no problem. My blogs could make the home page of Fark once, Fark Sports once and fark politics twice in the last 8 weeks. Yes, each time there was a healthy increase of traffic. Congratulations to you.

mdin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I swear too much for Google adsense, plus I only blog about random things, so there's really no target. My ads would get turned into non-paying public service ads pretty quickly.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Congrats?

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm not fond of ads on my blog either, so haven't done it, but if it actually could earn me a decent amount of money, I'd consider the options. But I'm not willing to change my content just to get a better rate of return, were I to do that.

Chris Carlisle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.platypus-society.net
Hey, I saw that on Fark, great post btw. Congrats on the link. Did you self submit or did someone else do it for you? I've tried to Fark myself (that just sounds wrong) but no success yet.

As far as ads on blogs go, if you have the traffic to support it, go for it. I currently don't have any ads yet, but probably going to try blogadswap (free ad swapping service for blogs) at least to help up my exposure a bit. Blogs that have 5 posts total (mmm, post total) that are chock full of google adsense banners are annoying and pointless.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
LOL - great post. I loved it. And I laughed so much.

When my daughter was 7, she wanted to buy me a gift without me being there. She thought something for the kitchen might be nice so I gave her some money, drove her to Bed, Bath and Beyond and she went in while I waited at the front of the store, (they have chairs) reading a newspaper.

She came out with a big smile and we went home.

When I opened my gift the next day (with family around the table) I was shocked! It was a vibrator. I was so embarrassed. I just looked at it with a confused look.

She laughed and said, "It's for your neck, mommie, for when you feel stressed. I thought you might like this more than the other thing." LOL

Best gift I ever got. LOL Ok, just kidding. But I was shocked and embarassed to go back to the store. Makes me wonder what the cashier thought -- sending in my child and waiting at the front like that. Geesh!

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
September, I have a somewhat similar story.

One of my Japanese co-workers had a couple missing spots in his English skills. We were putting a sort of chute under a machine to catch scraps. He wanted an electrical device to shake the chute so the scraps would fall off more easily. So he asked me what the name for the device he needed was.

I said, "Oh, that's a vibrator," and assumed he would look it up in one of our industrial supply catalogs where he would find what he needed.

Well, the next day, he asks me, somewhat sheepishly, "Matt, where can I find this vibrator?"

"You didn't just type 'vibrator' into a search engine, did you?"

The look on his face told me all I needed to know.

"I forgot to tell you - it has more than one meaning!"

FatTire

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
That is so cool. And I think your blog is funny as h, e, double hockey sticks.

Keep up the good work.

Insomnicole

Registered
Reaction score
That was an awesome entry, Matt. I linked it from my blog this morning (though that's unlikely to bring on much extra traffic for you).

mdin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Thanks, Insomnicole. I'm today's Blogger "Blog of Note," and I'm now getting just as much traffic as I did with Fark, but now it's coming to the front page of my blog, and I don't have anything interesting up there.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I thought it was really funny, too! I read through all the comments to try to figure out what in the world the hate mail would be about, so now I know. Yes, Nav, you racist jerk. How dare you insult grills?

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the post too, hilarious

then i got distracted by your tags. is that list on the rhs done using the labels function in blogger beta?

mdin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Thanks, guys.

Talia--yes, it's a feature of Blogger beta. I guess everybody will be forced to switch over pretty soon. It's still buggy, but it's way better than it was just a week ago.