Downsizing the solar system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just wait until those Plutonians hear about this ! (they're throwing a party on Uranus right now)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
JoeEkaitis said:
Seems no one (or nothing) is safe. And I hear he just put a down payment on a Lamborghini.

Downsizing? They're supersizing according to this article!

I'm too old to learn more planet names. :(

Wonder how this is going to effect astrology and numerology since 9 is supposed to be a nice number.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Shadow_Ferret said:
Downsizing? They're supersizing according to this article!

I'm too old to learn more planet names. :(

Wonder how this is going to effect astrology and numerology since 9 is supposed to be a nice number.

Maybe, just maybe, it'll teach people who base their lives on sequences of numbers to get a real life.

dclary, database administrator, out!

Redd Ryden

I'm the Head-ParrotHead!
Registered
Reaction score
Where's the party???-- I got the KEY to the cage--
I'm soooo sad. One of my favorite planet's has lost its job due to downsizing and was obliterated earlier today by a traveling crew of smelly, poetry-spewing Vogons.
Pluto, we hardly knew ye. :Shrug:

(somewhere, Mickey is missing his dog...)
:cry:
*weeping*​

Reaction score
NY - Out on "The Island" spring and summer - in HE
I am really bummed about this. It messes up my astrological charts for the next 100 years. What's next? Nothing is safe. First they take away Pluto and next thing you know, they're after Uranus. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Just because a planet is little doesnt make it worthless to the galaxy.

And how does this affect Pluto the dog at Disneyworld? Is he downgraded too?

Maybe we should consider taking some of the tiny little countries in Europe and merging them into one big country. Like Supercountries.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
persiphone_hellecat said:
I am really bummed about this. It messes up my astrological charts for the next 100 years. What's next? Nothing is safe. First they take away Pluto and next thing you know, they're after Uranus. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Just because a planet is little doesnt make it worthless to the galaxy.

It's not just Pluto's size, it's other things like its orbit which is eliptical around the sun as opposed to circular like the other planets. But fear not, Uranus is the third largest planet by size and fourth by mass so it won't be going anywhere soon.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
clock_work9 said:
It's not just Pluto's size, it's other things like its orbit which is eliptical around the sun as opposed to circular like the other planets. But fear not, Uranus is the third largest planet by size and fourth by mass so it won't be going anywhere soon.

Not only is Pluto's orbit highly elliptical, but it is inclined at a significant angle compared to the disk orbits of the eight normal planets, indicating it formed by a different process. That's the major argument. Frankly, my dear, most astronomers don't give a damn. It is what it is, as are the other newly discovered planetoidal objects way way out there, and more are sure to be found, some of which may be even bigger than "Xena", which is larger than Pluto, and whose discovery triggered the semantic controversy. All very interesting stuff, regardless what you call it.

caw.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
persiphone_hellecat said:
Just because a planet is little doesnt make it worthless to the galaxy.

It's not about size (don't they always say that). Scientists have fought long and hard (puns not intended) over the past decades to determine if Pluto is indeed a planet. Many believed that Pluto is just a large asteroid, part of the Kuiper belt.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
maestrowork said:
It's not about size (don't they always say that). Scientists have fought long and hard (puns not intended) over the past decades to determine if Pluto is indeed a planet. Many believed that Pluto is just a large asteroid, part of the Kuiper belt.
And now that they've decided it's too small, how is Kuiper going to keep his pants from falling down around his ankles?

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
JoeEkaitis said:
And now that they've decided it's too small, how is Kuiper going to keep his pants from falling down around his ankles?
I wish people would stop cracking wise and start taking this Siriusly. I'm all for jokes when the time is right but most of these puns are just Barred. It doesn't Bode well so for God's sake, Beehive. Honestly, what a load of Pollux.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Unique said:
Pluto is a planet!

Pluto is real!

Oh sure...

Pluto.jpg

Status