PDA

View Full Version : Hair Coloring: Men vs Women

darbyj
01-14-2005, 08:02 PM
I saw a commercial last night for a men's hair coloring product. The man puts it in his hair, lets it sit a few minutes, and washes it out in the shower. Bye-bye gray. Why is it that when I color my hair, I have to wear gloves and sit with a smelly solution on my head for at least 25 minutes (longer on the roots)? My husband says it's probably because women want to feel "pampered", but I don't consider wearing gloves and having a smelly solution on my head for 25 minutes (longer on the roots) pampering.

And while I'm on the subject of women's hair coloring, why do they always recommend that you do an allergy test 48 hours before using the product, yet they don't provide you with a small sample to do the allergy test? It states quite clearly in the directions that you have to use the mixture immediately, so it's not like you can make the stuff up, do the allergy test, put the mixture in a cupboard for 48 hours, see that you have no reaction, then color your hair. Are they telling me that I have to purchase 2 boxes of hair coloring? One to do the allergy test and one to color my hair?

Any thoughts?

Lisa

Stephenie Hovland
01-14-2005, 08:16 PM
I have pondered the same thing - though, not for very long. :) The guys' stuff must not stay in long. I can't imagine that it would. And, I hope it looks really fake. If I have to inhale fumes and drip dye all over the place once a month, he can get poor results for such little effort.

maestrowork
01-15-2005, 12:44 AM
Men's hair color products last about a few weeks. Women's last for 3 months...

Also, many salons suggest men use women's permanent hair colors anyway. It's better quality and cheaper in the long run.

So, don't complain! :-)

Stephenie Hovland
01-16-2005, 01:26 AM
Mine doesn't last 3 months! Whether I get it done for $50 at the salon, or do it for $7 at home, the grays and whites are poppin' up again at week 3 or 4. Waah. I guess when you're old like me (just turned 34) you gotta expect a head full of wintery waves.

darbyj
01-16-2005, 08:50 AM
I start noticing grays almost immediately after I color. I pretty much try to stick to my natural color and just use the stuff to get the grays. When I see them so soon, I get furious. Why, oh why does this have to happen to us??

Lisa

HConn
01-16-2005, 09:35 AM
Because hair turns gray when you get older.

Why not let it run its course?

Stephenie Hovland
01-16-2005, 08:31 PM
Now that would just be too easy, wouldn't it?

Actually, I think it ages me quite a bit. I was born with a few white hairs. A few more popped up throughout my childhood. But, in my late 20s, it became quite obvious. If I go natural, I have flat brown hair (almost black) with tufts of gray. If I color, I'm a lovely auburn, whose red highlights match her red lipstick.

Give me a few more years of color, then I'll give in.

When my mom decided to color her hair, after years of salt and pepper hair, I thought she looked much younger and more healthy.

darbyj
01-18-2005, 09:05 AM
HConn,

Let it run its course? No way! I don't like how I look with gray hair. Yick.

Lisa

maestrowork
01-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Obviously HConn is not a woman and obviously he doesn't care about his looks.

:hat

pianoman5
01-18-2005, 11:26 AM
When I was young, I thought grey hair was rather cool. It spoke of maturity, and, when combined with a dark suit and tanned complexion (as per George Hamilton IV before he went orange), I felt it added a certain distinction, a raffish, devil-may-care, steely-dispositioned, irresistible-to-women urbanity.

My dreams of becoming a lady killer by virtue of time alone were thwarted, however, when an inconvenient proportion of my hair deserted me before its time. I knew I was in trouble by the age of 19, when the water refused to run out of the shower plughole, blocked as it was by a wodge of my erstwhile shiny and apparently healthy locks.

My grandmother tried to comfort me with the anodyne observation, "Well, son, you can't have brains and hair."

I knew enough biology to repudiate her well-meant consolation with a discourse on testosterone - which had already led me to disgrace myself with the twin Bennett girls next door - but thought better of it.

Now hanging grimly onto my remaining follicles, I've since made the discovery that while in ideal circumstances (dark clothes and tan etc) grey hair can indeed enhance one's distinguished image, in less propitious circumstances it also makes one invisible to younger folk, those demographic darlings of advertisers and corporate recruiters.

My suggestion, therefore, to those who are torn between the possibilities is: dye your hair grey while you still have the choice, and get rid of the grey when you don't.

darbyj
01-18-2005, 07:27 PM
HConn:

And besides, nature didn't intend for me to live this long- I should have lived to be 30-35 tops. Since antibiotics, vitamins, medical health care, dental health care, a roof over my head and forced hot air (rather than a cave and fire), and 2 housecats (instead of lions trying to eat me) have so artificially extended my life-span, why not tint the grays a bit. I'm sticking to my "natural" color. My "natural" color just didn't see fit to stick with me!

Pianoman:

Two of the sexiest men I've seen (besides my husband of course, who is also losing his hair) are nearly head hairless: Ed Harris and a guy in my church (I feel very bad about having such thoughts when I'm supposed to be worshipping God!)

Lisa

veingloree
01-18-2005, 09:05 PM
I am certainly seeing more grey since I cut my hair -- okay so I am a thrall of the youth obsessed affluent culture, but I am *not* pleased.

ShinyPenguin
01-25-2005, 07:19 AM
If you color your hair red (or auburn)...
Red is the hardest color to have "stick" to your hair. It's something about the chemicals used to get the color(My sis is a hairdresser and explained it all to me once). I have almost black hair with silver (not just gray, these suckers REALLY stand out). When I dye it dark auburn, it makes neat highlights without any effort. :D

Melina
01-25-2005, 05:18 PM
What I want to know is, why do those first few gray have to be coarse and curly? My hair is straight and brown, and last month I found a couple of white pubes sticking straight up out of it! Ugh! >:

darbyj
01-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Melina,

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Yes, all my grays are "pubes" too! Also, they spring forth from my part- they look like tinsel! I call it my fountain of gray.

Lisa

maestrowork
01-25-2005, 10:07 PM
OK, Melina and Darby, a bit TMI here. :rollin

Melina
01-25-2005, 10:36 PM
You must not have any gray yet, Ray. We are just talking about the ones on top of our heads. Really...the texture of gray hairs (at least the first few, I've only had a couple) is coarse and curly. Quite a contrast to the rest of my hair. It's hideous...

Melina

wurdwise
01-26-2005, 01:21 AM
8o 8o 8o 8o 8o

biotales
01-26-2005, 04:34 AM
"AGEING GRACEFULLY"
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AGEING GRACEFULLY...
In my house it is an all out war....:eek :eek :eek :p
Biotales

darbyj
01-26-2005, 07:15 AM
Melina,

I'm having a laughing fit over your "pubes" message literally hours after I read it for the first time. My son is annoyed at me because he is trying to do his homework and my laughter is "bothering him".

Why the hell ARE they so thick? I mean, they stick out like a sore thumb to begin with. They're gray. They're shiny. They grow from the tippy top of my head. Why ARE they at least 3 sizes thicker than my auburn troops? And why do they grow so darn fast?

Stephenie Hovland
01-26-2005, 09:53 AM
It's no wonder old ladies' hair doesn't move. It's not hair spray. It's the mass of gray pipe cleaners coming out of their heads.

Please stop calling them pubes. You'll make me very self-conscious when I go out in public and everybody can see them. :eek

darbyj
01-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Okay, Steph, okay. From now on, they will be known as pipecleaners!:D