PDA

View Full Version : Would a guy need to be strong?

Perks
08-24-2006, 02:02 AM
How difficult would you say it would be for a slight man to drag approximately 250lbs of, well, you know, on a plastic tarp, over a level, grassy lawn. I'm thinking maybe a total distance of 50 yards.

Help me out here guys. Male upper body strength is so different from female plant-your-feet-and-haul. I've moved very heavy pieces of furniture on blankets across hardwood, but I'm thinking it's not the same.

Tell me what you think, sos I can figure what to write.

alleycat
08-24-2006, 02:05 AM
How slight?

I would say yes, given those parameters, even a small guy could drag 250 lbs. on a tarp on a level surface. He might need a breather or two for 50 yards. I don't think it depends so much on upper body strength but in how good a physical condition the guy is in. If it's a frail guy, it might take a while; if it's a young guy who's just small he could probably do it fairly easily. Picking up 250 lbs. is hard, dragging it is much less so.

Perks
08-24-2006, 02:10 AM
I'm thinking about 5'10", slim, but doughy, you know?

alleycat
08-24-2006, 02:11 AM
I don't think you'd have a problem making it believable. Just make him struggle a bit and be tired by the end.

MidnightMuse
08-24-2006, 02:16 AM
I've always thought guys can pull pretty well, and us gals can push better. But I'd think if he just pants and has to stop now and again, it would work. After all, you said it's on a bag, and over grass, right? Even your average dough-boy should manage that, given enough time.

PennStater
08-24-2006, 02:16 AM
Is this for a book or are you trying to get rid of your ex-boyfriend?

Perks
08-24-2006, 02:18 AM
Shhhh. I'm trying to get rid of my current one.

alleycat
08-24-2006, 02:18 AM
Is this for a book or are you trying to get rid of your ex-boyfriend?
We don't ask questions like that here. Especially in the House of Hate thread. Be afraid, be very afraid.

trumancoyote
08-24-2006, 02:20 AM
I've done it before. I'm little, as you know, and it was never too much trouble.

Since there's grass, though, it's bound to be humid -- and since he'll be exerting himself, make sure there's lots of sweat and pantage involved. Maybe even fogging of glasses. That was always a problem for me.

rtilryarms
08-24-2006, 03:09 AM
Some slight little guys are extraordinarily strong. Is your character one of those? I know a lot of soft big guys who cannot do it and some skinny guys I bet could.

Perks
08-24-2006, 03:34 AM
No, he's not strong. There's nothing physically wrong with him. He's just not a very imposing guy.

Soccer Mom
08-24-2006, 04:53 AM
My husband isn't especially tall or big (OMG-don't tell him I said that) but he's very strong. He does a lot of very hard work around the farm and can lift and pull a lot of weight. Carrying it would be a stretch, but pulling it I can see.

And when the police ask if they can come in and ask questions tell them your attorney said NOT WITHOUT A WARRANT!:0

Jamesaritchie
08-24-2006, 05:04 AM
Yes, most small guys could drag such weight, but as trumancoyote says, there will be panting and shortness of breath. I'd also have him stop and rest once or twice.

Personally, if I could get it over my shoulder, especially in a fireman's carry, I'd rather carry 250 pounds fifty yards because I'd get there a heck of a lot faster, and it's really a bit easier than dragging it. But a small, slim guy couldn't do this.

But, yes, he could drag it.

Perks
08-24-2006, 05:11 AM
Oh god, James, I see what you're saying, but in this instance, you're just gonna have to trust me - lol! - dragging is the way to go. Hee hee.

Thanks for the input!

jst5150
08-24-2006, 05:15 AM
Muscle pain along the way from the quick build up of amino acids as he exerts himself. Also, if the plan is to talk about him in the days after, then muscle strain from overexertion. The plastic tarp would bunch and gather (if that's not redundant) from pieces and parts flopping freely along the way hanging up or getting caught under.

poetinahat
08-24-2006, 05:30 AM
The harder he's working, the deeper he has to breathe. If this, er, matter has any stench at all, he's going to have trouble trying not to smell it.

The initial friction encountered when getting the weight moving is hard to overcome, so it's best if at all possible to keep moving. Otherwise, the repeated tugs will eventually add frustration to the exhaustion and other emotions.

Go Segway!

C.bronco
08-24-2006, 05:49 AM
Make the grass dewey. You get less friction and more momentum. Sure, a slight guy could do it. My husband can bench that much.

HoosierCowgirl
08-24-2006, 06:25 AM
From dragging stuff on tarps -- hands cramp up. And tarps are very noisy. It would probably leave a trail for awhile through the grass.

My DH would get the skid loader (a farm-oriented fork lift) and roll the body into the bucket, probably, and drive away with it.

I've often wondered if anyone has disposed of a body in one of those 500-pound capacity incinerators on large hog farms. There'd be a "dead cart" right there handy for expired sows ... h'mm.

Ann

Perks
08-24-2006, 06:31 AM
You people. I never said it was a dead body. What a bunch of sinister-minded freaks you all are.

TheIT
08-25-2006, 02:33 AM
You people. I never said it was a dead body. What a bunch of sinister-minded freaks you all are.

And your point is? :D

Ever read A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny? If Snuff the watchdog could do it, your guy should be able to, too.

Bufty
08-25-2006, 02:51 AM
He'd be better humping it into a wheelbarrow -no? And the tarp had better be thickish or it will tear. Damned hard to grip and pull. How dense is whatever he's dragging? If it was sand, for example, I doubt he'd shift it at all, but I've never tried it.

Test it out and see what happens is the best way - no?

Perks
08-25-2006, 03:04 AM
God Bufty, that baby looks just like one of mine. I have dozens of little bald, fatcheeked pictures in just that pose. What a flashback.

Yeah, the tarp is a thick one. It'll be hard, but I think it'll be okay.

MidnightMuse
08-25-2006, 03:31 AM

So . . . you're sayin' it's just a bunch of body parts?

:D

HoosierCowgirl
08-25-2006, 06:30 AM
Sinister? Moi?

It'd have to be a pretty sturdy tarp. The blue ones unravel so easily we've seen oriole nests with blue tarp thread woven through them.

Ann

Soccer Mom
08-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Oh, it's not a dead body? ;) Sure. Whatever you say, Perks. We believe you. ;) What I said about the cops still stands ;) And tell them you aren't making any statements until I get there. ;)

Maryn
09-01-2006, 08:16 PM
I have an utterly unathletic, unfit son of 20 who could easily drag 250 pounds on a strong tarp over level grass.

I'm pretty sure I could do it. (I'm 55.) I did 225 in the spring, 8 times. (Plastic bags of topsoil.) Keeping on going is a lot easier than stopping and restarting. Be aware that he will be puffing, and it's possible he'll strain something, possibly his back or wrist.

Maryn, stronger than you'd think to look at her

Dollywagon
09-01-2006, 08:54 PM
He'd slip. Especially when he stopped for a breather and then started up again.

I want to know what it is he's dragging. I also want to know how everybody else on here thinks they can carry 250lbs over their shoulder.

Maybe it's because everybody else is thinking corpse and I'm thinking dirt?

I don't know why I'm thinking dirt ... maybe cos of the garden link. Also the density and volume is bothering me because I carry 50lb sacks of animal feed all the time. Five of them slung on my shoulder??? It ain't gonna happen. And I don't know anybody who could do it. Certainly not the guy who delivers my animal feed:D

Then again if it was a corpse...?

Fern
09-01-2006, 09:39 PM
I think your best way to find out is get somebody to lie on a tarp and try dragging it. I've also moved heavy furniture on a blanket and know that you can drag more weight than you can ever pick up. Also, picking up a limp, dead weight, body is going to be harder than picking up a bag of feed.

I may be wrong, but I'm thinking a slight built man, even if he is a bit soft, is going to have more strength than the average woman who is in good shape.

Dollywagon
09-01-2006, 09:57 PM
I disagree on that last comment, young Fern.
In fact I know it to be untrue. It's amazing how much strength women have if they build it up over a period of time.

My sister carted a cast iron fireplace into her van that the bloke couldn't lift.

And I said 5 sacks of feed. One is easy!

Dragging is also a lot easier than lifting. Look at the Worlds Strongest Man competition. They pull buses. Bet they couldn't lift one though:tongue

Stephanie
09-02-2006, 06:44 AM
You can get added strength with adrenalin.

If circumstances are closing in on him and he's under pressure to move something without getting caught, a surge of strength would be believable.

Jamesaritchie
09-02-2006, 03:47 PM
I disagree on that last comment, young Fern.
In fact I know it to be untrue. It's amazing how much strength women have if they build it up over a period of time.

My sister carted a cast iron fireplace into her van that the bloke couldn't lift.

And I said 5 sacks of feed. One is easy!

Dragging is also a lot easier than lifting. Look at the Worlds Strongest Man competition. They pull buses. Bet they couldn't lift one though:tongue

Well, Fern did say the average woman, and on average, men have about five times the strength of women. And as you say, they pull buses, they do not drag them. Take the wheels off and they'd be dragging them. They couldn't.

Dollywagon
09-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Come on, James, where'd you come up with the 'five times,' thing? Edit - You said that so I'd think you can carry 5 bags of feed - din't yer?
Next time you are in Scotland....

Yep, I admit we are talking averages here. Thing is, really most women don't realise how strong they actually are. Little or large.

...and I still have an urge to know what exactly it is we are dragging???

Perks
09-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Yeah, James keeps that up, he might make a good test case for the tarp thing, eh?

But, alas, he's probably right. Even doughboys are stronger than me and I work out. Ah well. Don't care - not a whit.

And I don't wanna go into the details, but there's some inanimate, and some respirating, organic matter in the tarp. Does that help?

Dollywagon
09-02-2006, 05:26 PM
I think we should throw down a challenge to James. He has to head off to the nearest feed merchants and pick up, three (3) bags of feed.
But we want photos ... and he has to wear tights ... and a headscarf.

I just added the last couple of things for the laugh. If we are going to get entertainment it may as well have some totally irrelevant but humorous factors.

Boy, is my feed merchant going to be pleased with me tomorrow when I ask him to carry five bags at once. I'll keep you updated.

Nope, it don't help.

Perks
09-02-2006, 05:40 PM
It's people! Soylent Green is people!

Jamesaritchie
09-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Come on, James, where'd you come up with the 'five times,' thing? Edit - You said that so I'd think you can carry 5 bags of feed - din't yer?
Next time you are in Scotland....

Yep, I admit we are talking averages here. Thing is, really most women don't realise how strong they actually are. Little or large.

...and I still have an urge to know what exactly it is we are dragging???

I got the five times from doctors who specialize in gender issues, and it's accurate. The average man has five times as much upper body strength as the average woman. Muscle works on a low exponential basis, and the average man has a lot more muscle mass than the average woman. Even when men and women are equal in height and weight, the man will usually be almost twice as strong as the woman.

Being five times as strong does not necessarily mean you can lift or carry fives times as much weight. Lifting is partly a balance and knowledge issue, and also puts strain on body parts other than muscle. Even when your muscle can take a load, joints and tendons often cannot. But I can carry the equivalent of four bags of feed for a respectable distance, assuming it's something I can balance on my shoulders. And assuming you're talking about 100 pound bags such as we use here. The most I've ever carried was 450 pounds, and it was my legs that quickly gave out, not my upper body.

StoryG27
09-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Well, last time I had to drag various body parts across a fairly level yard using a tarp, I had the darndest time. The dragging wasn't so much a problem as those few little bumps you hit along the way, losing an arm here, a foot there. Before you know it, you're running through the neighborhood, chasing some mutt who is using a severed hand as a chew toy. Too much trouble I tell ya. Just put it all in a wheel barrel or box and transport that way. At least, that's what the experienced would do.

Bufty
09-02-2006, 05:48 PM
:snoopy: A wheel barrel? Hmmm. Must get one of those.

Perks
09-02-2006, 05:49 PM
I've already written the scene, you freaks. Too many cooks, I tell you. And then there's James challenging all the girls to a bench press competition. Jeez.

alleycat
09-02-2006, 06:18 PM
I've already written the scene, you freaks. Too many cooks, I tell you. And then there's James challenging all the girls to a bench press competition. Jeez.
I could do it! I'm a manly man. Feel my muscle. *Not that muscle!*

Or . . . I'll get storygirl to help me. This blasted thing is heavy.

And yes, I wondered why people were still responding to this too. Hey, it's Saturday and the ball game is not on yet.

StoryG27
09-02-2006, 06:21 PM
And yes, I wondered why people were still responding to this too.
I wonder why you're responding to a thread in which you wonder why people are still responding. Hmm.

:)

alleycat
09-02-2006, 06:23 PM
I wonder why you're responding to a thread in which you wonder why people are still responding. Hmm.
I never said I was very bright.

Perks
09-02-2006, 06:34 PM
I like the pissing contest. It's cute - in a Neanderthal kinda way.

StoryG27
09-02-2006, 06:37 PM
I like the pissing contest. It's cute - in a Neanderthal kinda way.
Oh c'mon! We women are at a definite disadvantage in a pissing contest, especially if aim and distance are judged.

alleycat
09-02-2006, 06:37 PM
- in a Neanderthal kinda way.
That's us. Just visit the TIO forum to prove it.

Perks
09-02-2006, 06:38 PM
But we empty our bladders, don't we? All the rest is just pearls on a pig. Get the job done fer crissakes.

alleycat
09-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Oh c'mon! We women are at a definite disadvantage in a pissing contest, especially if aim and distance are judged.
The others wouldn't stand a chance if the contest were held after I've had about a gallon of iced tea. Or beer.

Dollywagon
09-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Crikey, I was only away for an hour.

And James has gone and upped the ante as well.
We are now upto 450 lbs.

Don't just talk the talk, my man. Walk the walk.
Come up with the piccies!

By my very sad maths, that's a good sized bloke under each arm, or on each shoulder. Whatever.

James, we will let you decide:tongue

Dollywagon
09-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Where's Jems, gone?

I don't know.
He comes along, pokes me with a stick and wakes me up, and now I'm all ready to play and he's disappeared.

Sum folks are no fun:D

persiphone_hellecat
09-03-2006, 04:15 AM
Hands do cramp up and it would be very hard getting a good grasp on the tarp ... unless maybe you knotted the end and held on to the knot. Even so, you would have to rest and switch hands a couple times ... the dewy grass is good - wet grass is very slick and slippery, which would make the load easier. I've seen birds tear those blue tarps up too ... but assuming it isnt a dead body, I guess you arent in too big a hurry to haul the load right?

Perks
09-03-2006, 04:20 AM
Hands do cramp up and it would be very hard getting a good grasp on the tarp Lol! I wrote in exactly that!
but assuming it isnt a dead body, I guess you arent in too big a hurry to haul the load right?I never said it wasn't a dead body.

Tsu Dho Nimh
09-03-2006, 05:43 AM
How difficult would you say it would be for a slight man to drag approximately 250lbs of, well, you know, on a plastic tarp, over a level, grassy lawn. I'm thinking maybe a total distance of 50 yards.

Not at all difficult. What you need most is leverage and a good way to grip the load.

A couple of loops of rope around the package (I'm assuming a corpse?) and a couple loops for hand grips ... you can haul it with the two steps and heave-ho method.

If the grass is wet, it's slicker.

Perks
09-03-2006, 05:48 AM
(I'm assuming a corpse?) Even the new guy. What a bloodthirsty lot you are. I'm corrupted by association.