PDA

View Full Version : Romance sort-of-series?

Maprilynne
08-23-2006, 11:40 PM
Ha! That subject line makes me look like a really talented author. <cough, cough> So I have a completed romance novel that I am shopping right now, and I have started on the next one. Ther hero in the second story is the son of the couple in the first book. That's not set in stone as it is not very relevant to the story, I just thought it was fun. (If I can't get romance #1 published I will change the hero's geneology in romance #2 and start shopping it as a stand-alone.) My question is, if I do get romance #1 published, is it a positive or negative that the next book "links up" even though it is a stand-alone story? Oh, and if it matters, it is a single-title length story, not category.
Any thoughts? Anyone doing something similar?

Maprilynne

Cathy C
08-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Tie-in series do quite well in romance. Look at Joan Johnston's "Bitter Creek Men" series, where she eventually matches up each of the brothers, and their kids. Same with Cherry Adair's Edge Brothers series (I think "Edge of Danger" is the latest).

But make sure the first book can stand alone. That's critical, and it's not necessary to mention that it's a series when querying. It's enough to say something like, "I would be pleased to discuss the series potential with you."

Good luck!

HaleyDaulton
08-24-2006, 03:06 AM
I believe Nora Roberts has a few of these, too.

nanagain
08-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Katheryn Kimbrough had a series of 40 books that followed a family through history in the late 70's to early 80's. They are almost gothic in that for about 25 of the books the narrator is the ghost of the deceased Matriarch. She wanted to make certian that only strong women married into her family. The series goes from colonial times to the 1930.

I have the entire series:D. Hope this helps

Sonarbabe
08-24-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm doing something similar. Mine starts out with the original couple, but it branches out even more. LOL. The hero's younger sister has her own story eventually, and then the hero and heroine's three children. Each could be considered stand alones all and of themselves, but it would be sooo much better together. :D

Maprilynne
08-24-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I thought, but I always need a good sounding board. And don't worry, the first one is *very* stand alone. The second is too, it jst has that little tie-in.:)

Thanks Again!

Maprilynne

Becky Writes
08-25-2006, 07:49 PM
I'm doing that too. In book #1 the story revolves around Casey and Michael, but there are several secondary characters, in particular 4 other men Michael is in a band with. Book #2 is about Max, one of the bandmates. I want to do 5 books that could all be satand alone, but with the same set of characters.