Progress report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, horror hellhounds, let's discuss those WIPS. What do you currently have on your plate? Novel, short, article on the craft, interviews? What stage is the work in? Outline, first draft, second, or finished project?

If you're in the submission process, have you queried, sent the full ms, discussed story changes with potential agents? Anyone have a project sitting in slush, or already taking space upon some acquisition editor's desk?

C'mon, share! Inquiring minds want to know.

John61480

The Elements of Style
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on my first draft of a demonic possession story. The premise is seeing through the eyes of a possessed victim, the haunting changes he goes through, all written third person limited POV. He's got a family, so there will be a lot of drama and hairy scary stuff going on in the household. I just started the first two chapters and have a very rough outline of the book progression. The book begins in the middle of an exorcism that goes wrong. I plan on posting it eventually in the Share Your Work area when I'm satisfied with the tone of the exorcism. Sheesh, there are so many directions for the one exorcism, that I am actually spending time figuring out how not to make the demon not be either a hoighty toighty know it all or a smart *** filth.

Tough stuff in trying to figure out the tone for the WIP though. I want it serious like William Peter Blatty's Exorcist, but on the other hand, I don't have enough research authority to back my schtick up. I'm currently just using the internet. Horror writing can be pretty fun stuff when you use the internet for research to empower the writing. I sometimes give myself the willies looking for this.

Did you guys know that they have internet ads for Exorcisms? For real. Did you also know that a priest in New Zealand sat on a possessed victims chest during the Exorcism and choked the life out of her with his hands? He's currently on trial. Another Exorcism in another country went bad when they beat the stuffing from the victim to get the demon out. Bad stuff, especially when there are cases of 300 exorcism performed each year on the East Coast of America!

Serious baggage comes with this topic, but again, this horror gig is fun.

Last edited:

Outlaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Hey Liam,

I just finished two short stories for Halloween and I’m sending one off to a Halloween Contest for Dark Krypt. I am also in the early stages of writing two new novels, one by myself and the other one is a collaboration with a writer you may remember as Biscuit.

I have had nothing but rejections so far on my first novel, but then again it was 8 of ten sent and I’m preparing for a second round to some other agents. I still have 7 short stories floating out there, just waiting for publication.

So that’s my day in a nut shell. Oh, but I forgot, I’m starting a new short story today for another contest.

Hope all is well on the publication from for you.

Kerry

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I have three short stories in the works, and one possible novella, or (gasp) maybe even a novel started. One of the shorts has a beginning and an end, but I am struggling with the middle. The other two shorts are finished--sort of--but I am not at all happy with them. I need much work on setting and mood, and that's something I'm still learning.

For the past month or so, I've let the stories sit, and instead have doubled up on my reading, both in genre and out. When I read with a critical eye, it then becomes easier for me to see how successful writers accomplish that which I am still trying to do.

I know that I can't improve my writing by not writing, but I really felt as though I had to take this time to learn from others who do it well. We'll see if I'm right.

Come September 1st, I'm planning on giving it a go again. I'd love nothing better than to fix up the two that are close, and get them out the door, so I can start piling up those rejections. :D

GhostAuthor

She who should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinabarber.net
Hello all horror buffs-
My second novel in partial is currently sitting on a large NY publishers desk. It's been there for over a month. They requested the partial after having read my query. I'm trying NOT to think too much about it, but man if it isn't in my every waking and sleeping thought! :Shrug:
So, I slave away at WIP number 3...

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
I have a handful of short stories waiting for a yay or nay.

Currently working on a longer work which will hopefully become my first novel. So far I've been in short-fiction mode.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
I have my first novel with the last few beta readers waiting on the final input so I can do a third draft, this one with some pretty major revisions. While waiting, I've written and submitted some shorts to magazines, my first time trying to get anything published. Sent some stuff about three weeks ago, so I probably have a little time before I get my first rejection letters which believe it or not I'm looking forward to. Meanwhile, though I wasn't planning on it, I got an idea for my second novel, a postapocalyptic number involving a group of people sent to find a place for their colony to relocate, so far at about 17000 words.
This may interest some of you, as it's been discussed ad nauseum in Novels: The first novel I wrote, I outlined extensively, character backgrounds, etc., without which I would never have finished. I'm approaching this one with no outline or notes whatsoever. When I'm done, maybe I can compare the two methods!

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still working on my sci-fi/religious/adventure story and am finding it a bit of a challenge. As far as the story goes I know where it needs to head but what I find hard is trying to write my MC. He is a deeply religious man, one that believes that God is ominpotent but when he learns the truth about God it rocks his world. I'm not a real religious person and with all the crap that has been going on in my life for the past four years I'm starting to wonder if there is a God or if there is what I have done so wrong as to why he has condemed me. Since I don't feel the way my character does it is hard for me to write in his POV. I mean, think about it, what would happen to the Pope if he learned that God was dead? This is how my MC feels.

I also have in the works the stand alone sequels to my PA book. I find it unique to write the two books at the same time.

I also have a YA book going but it has been sitting on the shelf for quite some time.

Everything has been put on hold for my sci fi/religious book since it seems to take up most of my thinking lately. The scope of the series and its spin off's is so complex and thought provoking that I can't seem to think about anything else. While I try to rough out the direction of the series I have to put in things that will allow me to start the spin off's. Characters, ideas, battles, etc. It's proving harder than I ever imagined but everything is coming together so seamlessly I can't help but think it was meant to be this way. Now, all I have to do is do a lot more BIC and I will have it made.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
My first novel is still in the "send three chapters/ synopsis" stage at Dorchester (been waiting for 7 months on anything). I've got a short piece I sent out to Cemetery Dance two weeks ago. And now I'm in the background development stage of my next novel. Think geriatric zombies in a high-tech, high rise nursing home. I've worked at one for 17 years so it's about time I write about one.

I can get rather wrapped up in developing character and story backgrounds. This is what it's like to play God!

NightWynde

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brigitta-m.blogspot.com
I've got one novel where all the MC wants to do is eat chocolate chip ice-cream (he's supposed to be chasing after a trans-dimensional serial killer, lest there's a rift in the realms between life and death). I've decided to "tear it apart to see where it went wrong" vis a vis note cards, reorganization and putting a little fire under his butt (as in, kick his tookus to hell (literally) for a bit).

Couple of short stories. One's in permanent limbo until I can figure a way out of a "kid finds out he's a demon at the end" cliche. The other has either the Grim Reaper denying that he's the Grim Reaper, or he's not the Grim Reaper at all.

GhostAuthor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinabarber.net
Pike said:
My first novel is still in the "send three chapters/ synopsis" stage at Dorchester (been waiting for 7 months on anything).
Pike-
Had they requested the first three and synopsis, or are you in the slush?
Just asking because 7 months for a requested MS is a bit tough to stomach...

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hey GA,

They requested the three chapters after I querried them in January. They have a 6 to 8 month turn around so I'm right in the middle of that. It's a little painful but gave me time to really hone the novel down and clean up some dreadful passages that occured later in the book.

Don't get discouraged, the fact that they asked for more after your query is reason to cheer alone. Good luck!

Pike

GhostAuthor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinabarber.net
Pike said:
Don't get discouraged, the fact that they asked for more after your query is reason to cheer alone. Good luck!
Pike
Hmmm, I do wonder though...
Sent query - within three weeks get a form letter reply of 'send more'.
You say the exact same thing, but you've been waiting on part deux now for over 7 months...
Sounds to me like having a requested ms with them IS the slush pile!
I'm not having those 'warm fuzzy' happy 'yay they asked for more' feelings any longer.
:cry:
Sounds to me very likely that after your long, hopeful wait of nearly a year, you'll have the 'no thanks' letter.
I don't like being mislead, and I guess that is how I feel right about now...

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
GhostAuthor said:
Hmmm, I do wonder though...
Sent query - within three weeks get a form letter reply of 'send more'.
You say the exact same thing, but you've been waiting on part deux now for over 7 months...
Sounds to me like having a requested ms with them IS the slush pile!
I'm not having those 'warm fuzzy' happy 'yay they asked for more' feelings any longer.
:cry:
Sounds to me very likely that after your long, hopeful wait of nearly a year, you'll have the 'no thanks' letter.
I don't like being mislead, and I guess that is how I feel right about now...

Publishing is a crap shot. Your work can be top notch but if it doesn't fit the current mold then it can get shelved. Editors are swamped with work that writers thrust upon them. They have to find the right one to sell to the board and greenlight for pub. I know I was absolutely thrilled when I got my reply and still am. We caught an editors attention. Believe me, it's a feat that many don't accomplish.

And as far as Dorchester dragging their heels, they've got the next year planned out for all of their lines of books. They can sit back and watch market trends and sales to gauge whether or not a solicited idea is worth the effort. This can be in your favor if their current run is doing well. I sumbitted a werewolf novel, thinking that it was an under-rated monster and I love werewolves! Several months later I learned that they were publishing a werewolf-crime novel that sounded similar to mine. I panicked at first. I didn't imagine that another could pop up like that at the same publisher. Then someone reminded me that if one book sells well in a particular genre, then others will follow. So I then contacted the author, Bill Gaglioni, and e-mailed back and forth about his book and mine. He was extremely encouraging. I found out that he published his book Wolf's Trap several years ago with a smaller publisher and even got nominated for a Bram Stoker award for it. He then pitched to Dorchester and it took most of a year to get it set for their print house. He said it was quite a wait but the folks at DorPub were very writer-friendly and very much into publishing the best books available. So count your lucky stars and don't hang out by the mailbox, it creeps out the mailcarriers. I should know.

Pike

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
My Horror WIP is such a genre-bender it oughta be wearing drag.

Essentially... (for lack of a better "short" description) -- It's Alien in the Old West.

Marlowe

Duck of Death
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmovieplanet.com
So, am I the only one who sees "WIP" and thinks "Women In Prison"? I guess I've been watching too many Roger Corman flicks.

It's funny, I started writing after getting into Stephen King when I was a kid, but a few years ago, I decided I couldn't write horror; my stories were too predictable or uninteresting, and worse, the characters- and writing decent characters is probably what I'm best at- got dull and unbelievable whenever I tried to shoehorn them into some nasty situation. So I switched over to straight fiction, and did okay with it.

Then, three or four weeks ago, on a whim I started a novel about guy living through a zombie attack. I put it online because I had some friends who I knew would like it; and over 40,000 words later, I have my first positive query response from an agent, and I sometimes can't sleep at night the story is so much in my head. So you never know, really. It's definitely good to be scaring the crap out of people again.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting stuff, John. I'm willing to bet a ten-spot and raise you a box of stale donuts there are more than 300 "exorcisms" performed in the deep south on any average weekend. I saw a whole boatload of weird when I first started researching the subject for one of my projects.

I also find it rather odd that the Catholic Church recently started a school in which the sole purpose is supposedly wrapped around teaching the exorcism ritual. Not a church. The Church.
Pretty damned odd considering the Vatican's long held, close-hold position regarding exorcisms.

Kerry, I've got faith that you'll find a home for your work. I've seen your stuff, and believe it's only a matter of time. You've also got another quality that will pay dividends, eventually: tenacity.

Haggis, that's a great tool; Letting your work sit for a few weeks or months, then looking at it with a fresh eye. It's amazing how "things" sort of leap out at writers when we do this. It's damn difficult to put the little darlings away for extended periods, sometimes, but it can pay off with some major new insights. (Especially if we've kept busy reading.) I suppose the optimum time limit varies from writer to writer. For me, six-eight weeks is sufficient. It's a short enough period that I can still recall what I wanted to say, and long enough that I've gained some distance and can now read it with a fresh perspective.

It's funny how the little stuff can yield so much. Like reading your dialogue, aloud. If your dialogue (or narrative) is stiff or wooden, reading aloud will usually tell the tale.

GhostAuthor, I think most of us can feel your pain. It's great to hear that you're not wasting time over a situation you can't control, and started a new WIP. Way to go!

Hiyas Lee! How long have your shorts been out, now? How far along are you on the potential novel? Is this your first crack at a novel-length piece?

Jbal wrote- "The first novel I wrote, I outlined extensively, character backgrounds, etc., without which I would never have finished. I'm approaching this one with no outline or notes whatsoever. When I'm done, maybe I can compare the two methods!"

I'm anxious to learn the results, J. I did the exact opposite. I wrote my first novel via the shoot-from-the-hip method. I never quite knew what was happening from day to day, or page to page. I outlined my second. I did learn one thing about myself during that second process. While the outline made for a very manageable story, there was a constant conflict between the outline and "stream of consciousness." I knew what chapter 10 should have been. I had already been over that during the otuline process. But by the time I started chapter 10, my characters are all yelling, "Screw that crap. Take a left turn! Left turn!" I finally found a way to reconcile the two methods, but it nearly drove me to drink. Be sure and let us know the outcome of your comparison.

Hiyas Kevin! Yep, you've tackled one hellaciously ambitious (in scope) project. Maybe we can come back to this one, and discuss precisely where you are in the story. It's a strong premise, I think, and I'm anxious to see where you're going with it.

More to come with Pike, NightWynde, dclary and Marlowe
Any newcomers have anything to report?

LJ

Last edited:

Outlaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Liam Jackson said:
Kerry, I've got faith that you'll find a home for your work. I've seen your stuff, and believe it's only a matter of time. You've also got another quality that will pay dividends, eventually: tenacity.

LJ

Thanks, Liam. You certainly have a great bedside manner when it comes to supporting others. I’ve run across a few who haven’t been so easy to get along with.

Since I’m back, I might as well update again. I have two new short stories in the works. The first draft of one is complete and waiting for edits, while the other is now at 4000 words and I should have the first draft done by Thursday. I also finished a third short last month for a Magazine contest, but it was far different from anything else I’ve done. I had to hold back on gore and profanity, which is rather new for me. Should be interesting to find out how both the contests I entered go. All of that has slowed down my work on the novels, but I hope to get back at them this weekend.

Anyway, we are getting closer to your debut on the shelves, and I for one can’t wait. I’ll be going through it with a fine-tooth comb to see how it’s done. I hope all is well with you. Drop me a line when you have a chance.

Kerry

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Marlowe said:
So, am I the only one who sees "WIP" and thinks "Women In Prison"? I guess I've been watching too many Roger Corman flicks.

It's funny, I started writing after getting into Stephen King when I was a kid, but a few years ago, I decided I couldn't write horror; my stories were too predictable or uninteresting, and worse, the characters- and writing decent characters is probably what I'm best at- got dull and unbelievable whenever I tried to shoehorn them into some nasty situation. So I switched over to straight fiction, and did okay with it.

Then, three or four weeks ago, on a whim I started a novel about guy living through a zombie attack. I put it online because I had some friends who I knew would like it; and over 40,000 words later, I have my first positive query response from an agent, and I sometimes can't sleep at night the story is so much in my head. So you never know, really. It's definitely good to be scaring the crap out of people again.

No, you're not the only who reads WIP as something esle, although my particular guilty pleasure is movies by Jess Franco and the Illsa stuff.

My own writing is going as normal - averaging two short stories a week, alongside editing a supernatural story with historical content and rewriting a novella that took a week to finish, but ruined a great idea.

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Marlowe said:

No, you're not the only one who reads WIP as something else, although my particular guilty pleasure is movies by Jess Franco and the Illsa stuff.

My own writing is going as normal - averaging two short stories a week, alongside editing a supernatural story with historical content and rewriting a novella that took a week to finish, but ruined a great idea.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Outlaw said:
Thanks, Liam. You certainly have a great bedside manner when it comes to supporting others. I’ve run across a few who haven’t been so easy to get along with.

Since I’m back, I might as well update again. I have two new short stories in the works. The first draft of one is complete and waiting for edits, while the other is now at 4000 words and I should have the first draft done by Thursday. I also finished a third short last month for a Magazine contest, but it was far different from anything else I’ve done. I had to hold back on gore and profanity, which is rather new for me. Should be interesting to find out how both the contests I entered go. All of that has slowed down my work on the novels, but I hope to get back at them this weekend.

Anyway, we are getting closer to your debut on the shelves, and I for one can’t wait. I’ll be going through it with a fine-tooth comb to see how it’s done. I hope all is well with you. Drop me a line when you have a chance.

Kerry

I totally agree! I always find Liam's posts refreshing and entertaining, so much so that I'm anxiously awaiting his novel. Religious ambiguity is always a fun subject and makes for a great read if handled correctly. I trust that Liam has.

On the outline approach subject, I tend to find that I desperately need a road map to guide me through the writing process but agree with a comment from a recent Laurell K. Hamilton interview: "Outlines were meant to be bent, or broken. Anything that stands in the way of characterization should be thrown to the side." The lovely thing about writing is that whatever approach works best for a writer is the best one. We learn, adapt, and then grow into our own with the methods we learn and incorporate into our own style. Yay for individuality!

GhostAuthor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinabarber.net
Pike said:
On the outline approach subject, I tend to find that I desperately need a road map to guide me through the writing process but agree with a comment from a recent Laurell K. Hamilton interview: "Outlines were meant to be bent, or broken. Anything that stands in the way of characterization should be thrown to the side." The lovely thing about writing is that whatever approach works best for a writer is the best one. We learn, adapt, and then grow into our own with the methods we learn and incorporate into our own style. Yay for individuality!

I agree with Ms. Hamilton. I do a basic scene outline - showing the scenes that are 'must haves' for the story. That outline changes, melds, and blossoms into more outlines. And I've even cut scenes because once I started writing the character took over and didn't want to do that scene. {don't call the loony bin yet, I still have a ton of novels to write:ROFL:}
I'm sure many of you know exactly what I'm talking about in the above paragraph - I term it being in 'the zone', when nothing else matters except the character and what is happening in the novel - transported away to that other place.

I've talked with many other writers and some use outlines, some don't. It's all 'whatever works'!

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
No doubt! I've dumped at least half a dozen scenes then rewrote a boat load more because my characters didn't agree with the circumstances I thrust them into. Funny how they can take control when you least expect it.

I find that I enjoy the rewrites as much as the original drafts. There's something about it, like your watching a movie then see something that doesn't make sense so you're struck with inspiration and you have to fix it.

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on my third and final draft of my action horror/dark urban fantasy novel.

It's progressing...... Very slowwwwwwly, but it is progressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.