Need advice on endorsements

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokenlo

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning to approach some high profile individuals for endorsements for my book. Any suggestions on the best way to approach prior to the book being published? (i.e., send them an outline of book, my credentials etc?) Any ideas are appreciated!

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
Has the book been accepted for publication yet?

If you're going to do this, my only suggestions would be to be polite, accept no for an answer, and express your gratitude to anyone who says yes.

Also, just because someone agrees to read it doesn't mean they'll give you a good blurb or endorsement. Thank them for their time anyway. Otherwise they may go ahead and tell you (and others) exactly what they think :)

kokenlo

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the book is scheduled to publish July 2007. I would like to get endorsements in advance to use in promo materials/book cover etc.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
In that case, also check with your publisher to see if they're doing the same thing. One of the authors I wanted to ask for a blurb already had a copy of the book, sent a week earlier by the publisher.

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
I can only give you my experience. I have a sci/fi novel coming out in November (Tigra). I contacted by email several authors whose work I have admired for years, basically explaining that I was a first-time author and was looking for a blurb. I made a few comments on specific works of theirs that I admired and thanked them in advance for their time. All three answered in the same way: they would be glad to read the manuscript, but with no guarantee of endorsement. If they liked the book, they'd pen a blurb, otherwise, no hard feelings. Luckily, they all sent positive responses.:)

Niala

Don't be too hopeful

Hi K,

I also sent letters to people whose work I admired and didn't even get responses. My publisher had warned me not to be hopeful.

It's tough being a new entrant in the world of publishing. Best of luck.

Niala

www.nialamaharaj.com

kokenlo

Registered
Reaction score
thanks..

Thanks for the words of encouragement and also the reality check. I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. I just wanted to find out how others approached it. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
If you have an agent, ask him/her if he's got anyone in his stable qualified to endorse the book.

Silverhand

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ericfogle.com
How effective are endorsements, anyway? I have been talking to several established authors, but have yet to actually pop the question. Before I do, I want to make sure it is worth it. :)

acousticgroupie

Registered
Reaction score
i think endorsements help. plus, get people in your field. you don't have to get the biggest "celeb" but someone in the industry helps. try the B list if the A list doesn't work:)

jeffrivera

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JeffRivera.com
Endorsements don't hurt at all. I have quite a few, but there are two more that I'm waiting for Nicholas Sparks (The Notebook) and Alisa Valdes Rodriguez (Dirty Girls Social Club). Those are my dream authors for endorsements ...

Lisamer

Registered
Reaction score
Since my book is non fiction, the first thing I did was ask people for quotes within the book. After I finished it, I sent a galley copy and asked for cover quotes. Maybe it's just the ski industry, but people have been amazing!

Here's a hint: Choose celebs who have something to promote. It's to their benefit to have their name and book/website on your cover!

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
For some readers, a blurb from an author or expert in the field is a factor in deciding whether or not to buy the book. For others, they don't pay any attention to them.

Bottom line: I don't know how much they help, but they certainly don't hurt.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
Lisamer said:
Since my book is non fiction, the first thing I did was ask people for quotes within the book. After I finished it, I sent a galley copy and asked for cover quotes. Maybe it's just the ski industry, but people have been amazing!

Here's a hint: Choose celebs who have something to promote. It's to their benefit to have their name and book/website on your cover!

LOL that's a useful tip!

I haven't given much thought to blurbs for my latest book but I know it's something I need to get on to. I have some excellent reviews from earlier books that could be included but it would be great to get a big name to endorse the book

Dear Oprah...

Lynn Sholes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lynnsholes.com
My experience has been mixed. Send a polite email to the author and wait for a response. If he/she agrees, ask if they would accept a manuscript or would they prefer to wait for the ARC. No matter what their response, be polite and thankful for their time. When writing on a deadline, as you know, an author's time is precious and he/she might have to decline. Most authors are very courteous and if they have time will give you a blurb.

thewritermama

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thewritermama.com
The Endorsement Quest

My friend Gregory wrote a great, inexpensive e-book on this topic that's a quick read and chock-full of great advice.

I just looked at the two-page spread in my galley and I'm so glad I had his it. Especially since I needed to pull my endorsements together over the holidays. :)

You can find it at www.kompes.com, if you're interested.

Good luck!

kokenlo

Registered
Reaction score
thanks

Gregory's book is just what I was looking for- thanks for recommending! It gives the basic "here's what you do" that my publisher didn't give me.

Status
Not open for further replies.