Why not have AW Comment Chain?

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
AW Blogchain: #5 has been a huge success for me. Not only, it helped me to jump in Technorati ranking but also my entry has now 12 comments. This is the highest I have so far in my blog- 12 comments for one entry! I really wish that we could have some kind of comment chain in which every one would give the link of one of their blog entries and then we would comment on each others entries. It could take place once a week or even once a month.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to be part of it. It would help my blog, as it is just starting out.

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
Sounds like a great idea -- I'd love to do this.

(Especially since I can't really do the blogchain, as the topic/format of my posts are pretty set...)

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I think what everyone's saying, razib, is, well, since you brought it up, are you organizing the event? :)

It sounds like a great way to include blogs that don't have the flexibility of topics that others have. Great idea. :)

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Down so low in Austin, bottom looks like up.
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
quidscribis said:
I think what everyone's saying, razib, is, well, since you brought it up, are you organizing the event? :)

It sounds like a great way to include blogs that don't have the flexibility of topics that others have. Great idea. :)
As usual, I'm in agreement with Quid. All my current posts, about one a week, are chapters from my first novel which I'm trying to overhaul. So if a comment chain gets started, I'd like to sign up.

Bayou Bill :cool:

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
Well, I am not good at organizing anything. The rule is quite simple. Every week or month, just have a thread about comment chain and let us submit one link of entry each so that others will visit and read it and comment on it. I know that some of our blogs (including my blogs) do not have the flexibility of topics. Still, I would urge others to submit a little offbeat, funny or human touch entries (on the topic of your blog) for the comment chain. This way, we all can enjoy. HOwever, don't bother about it at this moment. Just let us start the comment chain and then gradually, we will learn to make it better.
For example, this is my submission:
http://www.southasiabiz.com/2006/08/bhutan_2_greedy_men_falling_to.html
Bhutan: 2 Greedy Men falling to the Nigerian E-mail Scam
(Two Greedy Men losing $14,000 in Exchange of Million Dollar of fake currency printed in Black color. They were Convinced that if they use special ink the fake notes will become real.)
So, now, all of you can submit your links and we write comment to each others entries. Well, I am really terrible in keeping track and organizing something. I just stated my idea.

DTKelly

The Rememberer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dtkelly.net
hmm..

I just had a thought. We can compile a list (much like the AWChain), then the first person on the list goes to the second person's blog and picks a thread for everyone to comment on. Then the second person goes to the third person's blog, etc. The last person goes to the first person's blog.

Then the order can be shuffled and started again.

Just a thought, do with it as you wish. ;)

Going with Razib's post theme, I have a scam post on my blog;

http://www.dtkelly.net/?p=27

Last edited:

Marilyn Braun

Royal Bibliomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com
Towerkel said:
I just had a thought. We can compile a list (much like the AWChain), then the first person on the list goes to the second person's blog and picks a thread for everyone to comment on. Then the second person goes to the third person's blog, etc. The last person goes to the first person's blog.

I don't know, personally I'd rather just go to any blog that happens to be on the list (yes, I know we have that choice to begin with). I understand where you're going with this but I'd rather just have the freedom to comment wherever because maybe I'll discover a blog I might not normally search for and vice versa.

I think it makes some sense that people possibly submit their most current posting (such as Razibahmed started) - maybe some people (such as myself) may not update their blog very frequently, so posting a particular link will let people know that the blog has been updated and they can go there if interested. Just a thought.

Last edited:

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
Towerkel said:

Then the order can be shuffled and started again.

I like the idea of adding a bit of order to everything, but I'm not sure if we shoud limit the comments to a single post.

How about this: you can comment to any blog post that doesn't already have, say, 3 comments. Or maye 5. If it's already got that magic number, you need to move on to a different post.

This way we spread the love a little... :)

Edited to add:
I'd love for people to post anywhere at my blog (link in the sig) -- I've got about 6 months worth of daily posts up, so feel free to wander... :)

Last edited:

DTKelly

The Rememberer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dtkelly.net
Marilyn Braun said:
I don't know, personally I'd rather just go to any blog that happens to be on the list (yes, I know we have that choice to begin with). I understand where you're going with this but I'd rather just have the freedom to comment wherever because maybe I'll discover a blog I might not normally search for and vice versa.

Well, my idea was for everyone to comment on everyone's blog, with just the person before picking the post.

Now worries though, whatever works. I go with the flow. ;)

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
Right now, I'm just popping over to random blogs and commenting on random posts -- I don't really feel like I'm participating in anything.

I'm liking Towerkel's idea -- maybe next time we can start with a list and do the one-blog-at-a-time thing. (I'll organize it, if Razib would prefer not to, and if no one else is really dying to do it.)

But for now, I guess everyone is on his/her own to go to each of the participating blogs and leave a note sometime over the next few days:

razibahmed: South Asia Biz (specific post)
oswann: BCOM
Provrb1810meggy: Tales of a Writing Teen
nancy02664: Nancy's Baby Names
Marilyn Braun: Marilyn's Royal Blog (specific post)
quidscribis: Peregrinas
Forbidden Snowflake: I might lose my mind
Bayou Bill: Bill's Bilge
Towerkel: The Secret Government EGGO Project (specific post)
Judi_S: Everything Indian
KellyC: Pass the Torch (specific post)
Gooch: Cinema Fromage

(For people with mulitple blogs, I just linked to the first one in your sig. If this is the wrong one, let me know.)

Last edited:

Simran

nancy02664 said:
Right now, I'm just popping over to random blogs and commenting on random posts -- I don't really feel like I'm participating in anything.

I'm liking Towerkel's idea -- maybe next time we can start with a list and do the one-blog-at-a-time thing. (I'll organize it, if Razib would prefer not to, and if no one else is really dying to do it.)

But for now, I guess everyone is on his/her own to go to each of the participating blogs and leave a note sometime over the next few days:

razibahmed: South Asia Biz (specific post)
oswann: BCOM
Provrb1810meggy: Tales of a Writing Teen
nancy02664: Nancy's Baby Names
Marilyn Braun: Marilyn's Royal Blog (specific post)
quidscribis: Peregrinas
Forbidden Snowflake: I might lose my mind
Bayou Bill: Bill's Bilge
Towerkel: The Secret Government EGGO Profect (specific post)
Judi_S: Everything Indian

(For people with mulitple blogs, I just linked to the first one in your sig. If this is the wrong one, let me know.)

Thank you for stopping by Nancy and leaving your comments and request. I've answered it for you. Enjoy!More-indian-recipes-per-request

Gooch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cinemafromage.com
Hey, sounds like fun! As others have said, I shied away from the other chains, as I try and stay somewhat on topic on my blog.

I've dropped comments for most everybody listed so far!

(Bill, I'm coming back to yours, as yours will take some reading, and bedtime calls!)

Feel free to comment on whatever at http://www.cinemafromage.com. My posts are the ones labeled under 'The Gooch' or 'Casey Criswell' (making some changes)

One of my latest I've been proud of lately is this, http://www.cinemafromage.com/?p=242 just be forwarned that it is a bit focused on certain parts of the female anatomy! (Dont' worry, it's work safe)

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Down so low in Austin, bottom looks like up.
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
I've gone through the list and left comments on everyone's blog. In doing so, I may have spotted a problem, me.

My blog appears to be the only one that posts fiction. At present, I'm posting chapters that average around 3000 words. And while I only do that once a week, judging from the length of posts on the other blogs, there would seem to be a workload imbalance in my favor. The situation Gooch ran into could become the norm.

That being the case, I'm: 1. willing to take my name off the list if that's what ANY other member prefers, or 2. have it understood commenting on my weekly blogs is optional.

Bayou Bill :cool:

Last edited:

Gooch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cinemafromage.com
Hey, I don't have a problem with it myself Bill. What I did glance over, I found intriguing, I was just trying to say I plan on holding off on commenting until I can give it a good read, and comment proper!

I have no problem with the length itself, it's what you want to blog, and that's what's important!