Psycho Killer Raccoons Terrorize Olympia

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the article.

My favourite quote: "It's a new breed. They're urban raccoons, and they're not afraid."

Can anyone smell Hollywood Horror Movie?

P.S. For those still keeping score at home, I've taken a leave of absence to finish my novel which, I'm proud to say, I'm almost done. I'll be back to hang out more often afterwards. But this article was just too much not to mention. Enjoy!

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh sure, it's always funny until someone looses an eye!

Actually one of those @#%# urban 'coons vomitted on my back patio last night, and I nearly stepped in it this morning on my way to the garage.

Stupid things, always fornicating in my yard at night.

On another note - I'm thinking of buying a gun, or a rifle perhaps, you know . . . for story research.

Yeah . . . story research :D

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I have a pellet rifle for that, and a mean temperment that keeps them at bay :D

Need the gun for that gray squirrel that sits on my front steps and chews that steak bone all afternoon!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
MidnightMuse said:
Well, I have a pellet rifle for that, and a mean temperment that keeps them at bay :D

Need the gun for that gray squirrel that sits on my front steps and chews that steak bone all afternoon!

Better to get a dog.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Raccoons are said to be the only wild animal that has survived and flourished in urban areas, because we have taken away most of their natural habitat.

Funny thing was : when we lived in town, I had many raccoons in my yard and night - and I fed them and loved them. I even had one come by during the day to see me. She'd sit on my back patio and wait for me to fill her a pan of cool water for her to sit in, then she'd eat. I could sit right by her, but I never touched her.

We moved to the country last year, and have seen few raccoons here. We have alot of cats, and kittens - and the one raccoon I saw eating out of our catfood feeder, backed down from a rather small cat we have. She hissed at it and it begged her to let it eat, but the cat said no - and the raccoon left.

I love raccoons, they're my favorite animal.

The day after Katrina hit, I found a baby in my yard and tried to keep it alive, but didn't have the proper formula and no stores were open. I fed it our milk and when, after a few days without power to run the fridge - it was sour - I ran out of food to feed the baby. It diied.

That was one of the sad moments during Katrina.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I misread it and thought the raccoons had taken to carrying pepper sprays.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
eldragon said:
Raccoons are said to be the only wild animal that has survived and flourished in urban areas, because we have taken away most of their natural habitat.

Not. Coyotes have done much the same, and for similar reasons. Neither of these animals has a very limited natural habitat, and they're real smart and capable of adapting to all sorts of conditions. Plus they're both nocturnal, for the most part.

But you better be careful around aggressive raccoons. They can be rabid.

caw.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Not. Coyotes have done much the same, and for similar reasons. Neither of these animals has a very limited natural habitat, and they're real smart and capable of adapting to all sorts of conditions. Plus they're both nocturnal, for the most part.

caw.

Perhaps, but a raccoon can live in a tree in a city park. He can live in your fenced backyard in the center of town. He can live in a tree between the lanes of a highway.

The only thing they need is a tree to sleep in, water to drink and food to eat.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Um, all I get is appaulling reporting from the title on. Who knows what the racoons actually did or didn;t do? Not the reporter, that's for sure.

deacon

veinglory said:
Um, all I get is appaulling reporting from the title on. Who knows what the racoons actually did or didn;t do? Not the reporter, that's for sure.

it sounds like he managed to find and interview the same people who get abducted by aliens on a regular basis.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
deacon said:
it sounds like he managed to find and interview the same people who get abducted by aliens on a regular basis.

So you've been to Olympia ?

:D

deacon

yeah, but those folks that wear aluminum foil hats are everywhere. kinda like the ghost chasers.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but since Olympia is our State Capital, seeing those Senators wear the foil hats inside the Capital Building is a real hoot.

It's really no wonder the 'coons are attacking. Makes me glad I'm a good 60 miles due West of there :D

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
MidnightMuse said:
Stupid things, always fornicating in my yard at night.
And you know this because you stay up and watch them through your nifty night goggles :D

As Haggis said, get a dog for the squirrel, problem solved.

Aggressive raccoons are not always rabid--that's a fallacy. There can be any number of reasons for their percieved aggression. They may be protecting their young or a food supply, neither of which will be visible to you. They're not always nocturnal--they hunt for food whenever they need to. For example, following a snowfall, during which time, they hibernate, they're going to be starving, and in a bad mood as a result--they'll forage for food regardless of what time it is. They'll simply come out when they wake up. Same w/ coyotes, btw. They're not always nocturnal, either.

If you see a rabid raccoon, it's unmistakable; their gait is wobbly and spit is usually dribbling down one side of their mouth or the other. Yes, that's in the later stages of rabies. If they're aggressively approaching you, for no apparent reason and there's no brush/woods nearby (which would hide babies or a food supply), in other words, you're completely out in the open, then I would be suspicious.

I've had raccoons come up to my door, sit up and all they're doing is begging for food.

How do I know so much about raccoons and wildlife in general? My very good friend runs a wildlife rescue/rehabilitation and release center, here in CT. She's a wildlife biologist. I volunteer for her and have done so for a number of years, now. She's trained me well. I've personally rescued numerous raccoons and other animals for her. I've also raised a couple of raccoon babies, which I hand-fed (bottle-fed) until they were old enough to eat on their own. The mom was killed by a car.

A lot of what we try and do is educate the public about raccoons. They're incredibly smart animals.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Indeed, but many of the actions ascribed to them in this article are highly implausible. I share an office with a raccoon researcher and she really spit the dummy over this article.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
veinglory said:
Indeed, but many of the actions ascribed to them in this article are highly implausible. I share an office with a raccoon researcher and she really spit the dummy over this article.
Agreed. When I first heard the story, I wondered who was writing the fiction. It didn't sound like raccoon behavior, to me. I haven't talked to my friend, I know she'll go ballistic.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MidnightMuse said:
Yeah, but since Olympia is our State Capital, seeing those Senators wear the foil hats inside the Capital Building is a real hoot.

It's really no wonder the 'coons are attacking. Makes me glad I'm a good 60 miles due West of there :D

Olympia is my state capital too, but I almost never go there. I'm northeast of Olympia, in the Seattle area.

I've seen raccoons here, though I usually see possums more often.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Jean-Marie - I'm completely jealous of you.

I have always wanted to work with baby raccoons, and still intend on doing it someday.

Since we live on 5 acres with woods and 2 ponds, it would be an ideal place for me to release them, too, and I hear that works out wonderfully for raccoons that are rehabbed. That way: they can come around when they want to but still be free to do raccoon stuff.

There's only one wild life rehabber on the coast, and their facility was destroyed in Katrina - I have had no luck finding them.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
eldragon said:
Perhaps, but a raccoon can live in a tree in a city park. He can live in your fenced backyard in the center of town. He can live in a tree between the lanes of a highway.

The only thing they need is a tree to sleep in, water to drink and food to eat.

I guarantee you would be surprised to learn how close coyotes are living near you. They're damn near everywhere.

Other wild animals who've done pretty well with encroaching civilization include foxes, possums and armadillos. Oh, and up toward the top of the planet where I live, two species of bears and also lynxes.

caw.

Status
Not open for further replies.