How to get in to it off season...

smiley10000

What do we do? We write...
Registered
Reaction score
This could have been posted anywhere but I thought I would try and get some discussion going in this sleepy forum.

I am trying to write a Chanukah Short Story. I figure that if I write it now, it can be polished and ready to be sent off in time to make it in for this year. But, all that keeps popping into my head is Elul (the last month of the Jewish Year) and Rosh Hashannah.

How do you get your head into the right mindset?

Any thoughts are welcome!
:Hug2: 10000

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
I honestly dont understand the question. Elul is the time for Teshuva - repentence. Then of course comes Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippur and Sukkot. Repentence also symbolizes us asking not only for forgiveness, but that God allow the Next year to be one full of sweetness and peace and health. On Yom Kippur the Cohen Gadol did the "Avodah" in the Temple. Hanukkah represents the re-purification of the Temple. the ability for the Kohen Gadol to do his Avodah. Thus all are interconnected.

Therefore, though Hanukkah is off-season, it is really the symbolization of the ability to "return the days of old" - Hashevenu Hashem VeNashuvah Hadesh Yomenu Kikedem"

May you and yours merit hearing the Shofar, as it rings with the cries for the repentence on Rosh Ha'Shanah and as it Rings on the end of Yom Kippur with the promise of a year of peace, health and understanding.

Tekah Beshofor Gadol LeHerutanu...

smiley10000

Registered
Reaction score
Amen!

Interesting insight Teddy. I never thought of using the Avodah service as a muse for a Chanukah story...

Of course the calendar is connected each month intertwined with the next. But, there are certainly times when a person (at least this person...) is too heavily involved in the present to begin thinking about a period many months in advance.

Chanukah is a time of rededication and light. Miracles and good triumphing over evil. However, it is a time that is based on a communal celebration as opposed to Elul which is more a time for personal introspection.

I have been wracking my brains for weeks on what to write for my Chanukah story and nothing comes to mind. All I can think of is Teshuvah and that is not the essence of Chanukah. It has even affected my WIP! I just wrote a very meaningful chapter on Yom Kippur (works for the WIP so I'm going to keep it).
But Chanukah is far more light-hearted. It is a time when we sing Hallel and Al Haneisim. We eat jelly donuts and latkes. How do you tap into that positive vibe when the country around you is gearing up for the Days of Awe?

Hmmm... Maybe I'm not making myself clear...
:Shrug: 10000

smiley10000

Registered
Reaction score
TeddyG said:
Hannah and seven sons?

Pathos, Woman protoganist, Sorrow, Passion

I am working on this right now. :sigh. It is such a miserablly sad story.

I can't seem to find an uplifting note in it so that it doesn't drag my readers into the depths of despair!

Can you imagine standing by and watching someone kill your 7 sons (one of them brutally torchered in front of your eyes and the youngest being just 7 years old) and then dying yourself (hubby is going to look it up for me--I have read two versions of the story and don't know whether she killed herself or prayed to G-d to kill her instead of the Greeks)
It is not exactly the most uplifting redemptive story...

Shabbat Shalom,
:D 10000