Am I the ONLY ONE that likes my characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I sent three chapters to one agent. I received a rejection today, saying, "I like the idea of centering a story around the very pivotal eighth grade year---but I just didn’t find myself caught up in the voices of the students---so I’ll have to pass on this project." This hurts as much as the rejection itself, because I am totally in love with my characters. From feedback based on what this agent said and another, I'm worried that my character's aren't likeable or compelling, and that I'll have to do yet another rewrite.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch! Yeah, that does hurt, every single time. But have you considered not so much a rewrite, as a rework ? Perhaps it's simply the dialogue that's hanging these agents up.

It's hard to do, but have you taken a very objective look at the dialogue and tried to see if these characters are being brought to life ?

I'd say don't look at tossing out the whole thing, when this could be a simpler fix.

And, need I say, that was just one agent ! What floats one's boat might sink another's bagel. You can't please them all, you just have to find the one you can please :)

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a great critique, don't you? She liked the idea (yeah!!!) but felt perhaps the characters needed a stronger voice? I agree with MidnightMuse- it could be a simple fix.

I also loved my characters, but after x number of rejections, I reread my work with a different attitude and found very little to love about them-- I realized I just loved the idea I had of them. I hadn't fleshed them out, and they had no real personality. I ended up doing detailed character worksheets on them -- not info to include in the novel, but to make them come to life.

Meanwhile, you can keep submitting to other agents, with or without any revisions, right?

(PS when I'm done, I figured I'll have done about 10 rewrites/revisions- I'm on my 5th now, and now I'll need at least 3-4 more.)

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you have to do a rewrite. Every agent is COMPLETELY different-- the next might adore your characters! And besides, if you're totally in love with them, then that means something. Besides, I think that's just a standard line agents use in rejection (God I hope so!) because an agent told me basically the same thing.

Cheer up and have some cake! :)

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I've determined what I need, an agent with a strong inner-nerd, a past as a geek. Then, they'll identify more with my characters. Hmm, I don't suppose former geekdom info wouldn't be on an agent's website. If anyone seriously knows of such an agent who represents YA, let me know!

Last edited:

Thomma Lyn

Cat Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thommalyngrindstaff.com
Provrb1810meggy said:
I've determined what I need, an agent with a strong inner-nerd, a past as a geek. Then, they'll identify more with my characters. Hmm, I don't suppose former geekdom info wouldn't be on an agent's website. If anyone seriously knows of such an agent who represents YA, let me know!

I know what you're talking about. I need an agent with a strong inner-nerd, too (though my novel isn't YA). :)

Hang in there!

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with all the other great feedback here. Take a good long look at the craft part, but keep querying. I had one agent tell me my heroine was unlikeable at times, but the next agent (well, the assistant, anyway) commented positively about her (I did take out two lines of dialogue, though, based on feedback from the first agent. Who knows how much difference it made, but it was important to re-evaluate as the agent had also given a lot of feedback. And when I looked at it again through this new lens, the input made sense).

It's just so subjective. You'll know in your gut when it makes sense to incorporate feedback (especially if you're being honest with yourself). Ultimately, though, go with what excites *you*, because if you're not excited, then readers may not be either.

Status
Not open for further replies.