How do you capitalize on famous family members

Status
Not open for further replies.

erika

Registered
Reaction score
My second cousin is an extremely succesful mega-best selling author whose name anyone would recognize. But I haven't seen him since I was four so we ain't exactly close. Nonetheless, I'd like him to review my book, but don't want seem like some using relative. Any suggestions?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Erika, do you share the same last name? If not, who's to know you're related? Your cousin's endorsement could really help you along. As Christine said, ask (very) nicely.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
There are so many authors out there, many who have the same or similar last names (and the option of using pen names, even).

Any edge is a good edge. Go for it!

Dekomposer

Registered
Reaction score
How do you capitalize on famous family members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would normally say wait until they die and then look for the inheritance otherwise, dig up some family dirt and drop a hint before asking for a review!

cree

Registered
Reaction score
Would you be asking him to review a manuscript and then try to ease your path to publishing, or do you have a book deal and you just want a blurb?
If it's choice A, I can't count how many people have tried to scarf me into that one, and I'm not on the same plane as your cousin -- it can get a little annoying to have even relatives ask me how to get their book "Toby Gets A New Bike" published. (Not saying your stuff is lame, just relating my own experiences...) But if it's choice B, he'll probably be very agreeable.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
That's true... I wouldn't ask until I had the book deal already done.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't necessarily agree. Erika, you say you haven't seen him since you were four - but is that twenty years ago or fifty? He's your second cousin - if I understand cousinships correctly, that's not very far removed. Are there other family members who are closer to him who could drop a hint (especially if one of them has read your work.)?

From what I've read of your posts, I know you can write very well, so you have nothing to be ashamed of or fearful that your cousin would turn up his nose (unless he's writing books 180 degrees away from yours.) I say, go for it and try to set up at least the opportunity to ask him. You may be very pleasantly surprised at the outcome. (I was, I asked a college professor I'd never met to review one of my WIP's and he said yes immediately and loved my book.) Why don't you bite the bullet, call him and set up having coffee (be honest, tell him you're working on a book and would love to have some of his insights), tell him about your book, and give him to opportunity to offer to look at it - and if he doesn't, ask him if he'd have time to look at a chapter. My adage - nothing ventured, nothing gained. Puma

Status
Not open for further replies.