Exclusives

Seven7

I currently have my mss out with a few agents. I received another request for a full, but she wants a 30 day exclusive.

Since the mss is already out, what's the professional way to let this agent know?

I know I will have to wait until I get a reply back from the agents who are currently reviewing it, before sending it out as an exclusive.

Will the agent say nevermind, after I tell her it's already out and it may be another month or so before I can submit?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Reply to the agent telling her you have no problem with granting an exclusive, (if you don’t) but that the ms is currently out on submission with other agents, and what would she like you to do?

Almost always, the agent will ask you to wait and send it when she can have it as an exclusive. Occasionally, an agent might say send it anyway. She could possibly say “just forget it, then” but that would be unusual. In any case, don’t fudge; always provide a truthful scenario.

Last edited:

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
rugcat said:
Reply to the agent telling her you have no problem with granting an exclusive, (if you don’t) but that the ms is currently out on submission with other agents, and what would she like you to do?

This is what I did, and she decided to forgo exclusivity.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I just had a response to my query from a heavyweight agent and they want to see the first 50 pages on an exclusive basis. Never heard of this before: exclusives on the full manuscript yes, but on a sample?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
waylander said:
I just had a response to my query from a heavyweight agent and they want to see the first 50 pages on an exclusive basis. Never heard of this before: exclusives on the full manuscript yes, but on a sample?
I had Ginger Clark ask for just that when she was at Writer's House. When I told her I had other partials out, she said to send it anyway.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
rugcat said:
I had Ginger Clark ask for just that when she was at Writer's House. When I told her I had other partials out, she said to send it anyway.

This is another Writer's House agent so maybe it is house policy.