PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a new blog home?

Bk_30
08-22-2006, 01:34 AM
Some of you maybe aware of the problem I ran into with our most recent blog chain (#4). People where not able to comment on my post because, msn was not recognizing their netpassport log in, or their mns messenger log in. One of the reasons I picked this site was because of its ease of use. I won't say "everyone" but I will say, most people either have msn messenger or a net.passport. In my mind they were not required to 'sign' up for a new program just to post there, or belong to some elete society.

Hindsite being 20/20 and all, I discovered that this is not the case. So am off in search of a new blog-o-sphere to call my own.

I have looked at bloggerspot.com and at the moment it is my top choice, because anyone can post, if the blog owner allows. I have not made it my top pick as of yet, because I wish to put pictures up on my blog for my family, friends, and people that stop by and say "Hey, you seem pretty interesting."

I would like to find a set up very similar to the one I have now, the only change being that ANYONE can post.

My query then, or the reason for this thread, is to ask all of you, to give lists of sites that you use or have used in the past. Please understand that in all things connected to the blogging world I am a noob, so easy is good. Flexabilty(the right to change my mind and look of said space) is important. Free is one of my favorite words, and of course comment friendly :)

I need this in a hurry as I signed up for blog chain#5 before I discovered the problem with msn.

Thank you

sassandgroove
08-22-2006, 01:48 AM
I use blogspot. I think it is great. You can either let any one post a comment, or you can let any one post a comment w/ your approval, or you can turn off comments. And they have nice templates that you can edit if you want.

DTKelly
08-22-2006, 03:57 AM
I liked wordpress.com

L M Ashton
08-22-2006, 04:46 AM
I'm going to say what I always do... If you own your own domain, you can put the blog on your own domain using free software from WordPress, MovableType, and others. That's what I prefer to do because then I have ultimate control over everything on my blog. Other than the cost of domain registration and domain hosting, there are no costs.

The caveat here is that doing it this way takes more work and more technical knowledge on the user's part. If you're interested in learning, then I'd say do it. If it totally terrifies you or you can't be bothered and don't have the time, then go with a blog on one of the blogging sites.

Peggy
08-22-2006, 05:04 AM
I've been using blogger.com (blogspot blogs) and it's been pretty easy. If you use one of their premade templates, you don't really need to have any tech-savvy at all. Since it's free, why not sign up and give it a whirl?

Bk_30
08-22-2006, 06:08 AM
thanks for the advice :)

Quibs- you've seen my attempts at copy and paste, could you imagine me even trying to do a whole domain? rofl at the thought.

Blogger does seem to be the front contender at this point. I looked at livejournal, typepad(cause I'm already registered), and a few others.

Man...now I'm gonna have to change my signature :cry:

L M Ashton
08-22-2006, 06:56 AM
Another suggestion... Or two. :)

Wherever you go to, check to see if they can import your existing blog into their format. They may not be able to, but it's worth checking.

On your existing blog, make sure you do a post saying where to find your new home. :)

mdin
08-22-2006, 07:20 AM
I would go with blogger if you're not that great with techy stuff.

I would also avoid livejournal because you may have similar issues as before.

Sury
08-22-2006, 08:24 AM
I have been using Blogger for both my blogs and am pretty satisfied. I did switch to Wordpress for a few days (during the Indian blog outage), but wasn't too comfortable dealing with it.

I would recommend Blogger as well.

Looking forward to seeing your new blog, BK. Good luck with the move! :)

Sury

Bk_30
08-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Thanks for all your advice. I picked my new home and started unpacking tonight(I really should have been writing,but ...). the new addy is in my sig.
I'll put it here too: http://justasmalltowngirl2.blogspot.com
Now to post add change on the Chain thread :)