Need Cheering Up :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Aww, I just got my fifth rejection today. :( I had such high hopes for this agent as well, because she had read the first bit of my novel and really liked it. It was a simple form rejection letter saying that it was well-written, but she didn't fall in love with the characters to the extent that she would have to to offer representation. Poo. Am feeling seriously discouraged over here.

If anyone has any ideas for agents that represent YA fantasy that I could send my work to next, please let me know. *Sniff* Welcome to the pity party. (Yes I know I am acting like a baby, but that is my right.)

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
Only your fifth? You can't wallpaper a toilet with five rejections. Get back sending them out. You've probably had a break from the ms for a while too, so go back and look at it with fresh eyes and, imagining you've never been introduced to these characters before, see if you could fall in love with them. If not see if you can add a little more.

On the other hand, she could just be the wrong agent for you so keep sending it out there. Don't know any agents names sorry, but don't give up. At least double figures before you even think of throwing in the towel. And not even then.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your latest rejection!! :(

Have you looked at Agentquery.com?

Do the full search and it will help you research agents, who represent YA.

Good luck!

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Maddy cheer up. Don't let a few rejections get you down. If you have faith in your work, are a decent writer, then you'll find an agent who will fall in love with you and your writing.

Best of luck and be happy!

Spooky

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Five? Heck, you're still a virgin! I know it hurts. They always hurt, whether it's your first or your seven-thousand, five hundred and ninety second. But check agentquery.com for more agents, and submit, submit, submit !

And write more of them, lather, rinse, repeat :D

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Hey, Maddie,
Here's virtual chocolate. Always helps me. Anyway, agentquery.com is great because you can do a search for agents who rep YA.

Also, Stephen Barbara of the Donald Maass Literary Agency just mentioned on another writer's web site that he'll consider YA fantasy.

There are many, many, great reputable agents out there. Go for it!

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
That stinks! And I truly do feel your pain :D

I wrote a long thought out thread about how well I am adjusting to the rejection I got from an agent today, but I am a fraud! And you are worthy of a full blown pity party for fessing up to how much rejection sucks.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry::cry:

In truth, I think the only recourse we have for making it suck less, is to assess the damage and get back in the game. I'm game if your game ;)

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
I am joining you in the pity department. It sucks.
We must keep writing though, so they tell me. For now-- it's pity party time!!!!:partyguy: :hat: :PartySmil :e2drunk:

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection does suck, but as far as rejection goes, this one seemed pretty good. Saying it was well written is a huge compliment. That means you get a big ole' "GOOD WRITER" award. Just because this particular agent doesn't fall in love with the character doesn't mean a thing. I believe love of a character is more subjective than the quality of writing.

Keep on hanging in there. Start sending out more queries. Remember, five is not a lot. I've been rejected by over 20 agents, but there are still more out there, who I'm eagerly awaiting replies from. One of these may be right for me, and the other agents you send queries to might be right for you.

SeanDSchaffer

Maddy,

I think the fact the agent said it was well-written should be a boost to your self-esteem. Agents, in my experience, do not give half-hearted praise.

I know the feeling of rejection is hard, but try to remember what the agent said about the work and about how she felt about it. Publishing is a very subjective business....or so several agents have told me....and much of it depends on personal taste.

In other words, I hope you'll continue to submit the work. You must be a good writer, or the agent would never have told you you were. Now what matters is finding the right agent for your work.

A good place I've found which gives information on agents and agencies, and their practices, as well as their preferences, is AgentQuery.com. It looks up agents by the genre you're working in, if I remember correctly, and it gives detailed information about an agent's preferences, if they hold to certain standards of ethics, etc. I have found it to be a good resource.

I hope this helps, and good luck to you.

Begbie

Quite a character
Registered
Reaction score
It's three weeks until your 14th birthday and an agent praised the first bit of your novel??? No pity for you - Congratulations! You're well on your way. I'm saving my pity for the older folks who are running out of time. Cheer up and get back to work! I'm sure you're going to find representation. Happy Birthday!

ctheokas

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, congrats! I wish I had something that well praised by my 14th. Anyway, I keep my rejects (into the high 20s now) in an envelope marked "Agents Who Are Out of Their F&@king Mind!" My wife won't let me wallpaper the bathroom with them.

Also, take note, I read on another message board - one poster there was rejected by 117 agents before she found representation. I don't know if I should cheer or cry.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Begbie said:
It's three weeks until your 14th birthday and an agent praised the first bit of your novel??? No pity for you - Congratulations! You're well on your way. I'm saving my pity for the older folks who are running out of time. Cheer up and get back to work! I'm sure you're going to find representation. Happy Birthday!

Wow, just noticed your ticker, maddie! I'm impressed. You're already far ahead of many others who are older than you. You've not only finished a novel (hard to do), you must have written a compelling query (very hard to do), and enticed an agent with the first part of the book (extremely hard to do). Congratulations on what you have accomplished!

FloVoyager

Will write for chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
Five rejections? Keep sending out those queries. And keep writing! :)

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Awww, thanks guys. You are all SO nice! *Big watery smile* Yeah, okay, as rejections go, I guess this one wasn't too bad. And thanks for the good birthday wishes. JAlpha, I'm back in the game!

Bamponang

Registered
Reaction score
She liked the first part and she said the book was well-written, so congratulations on a good start.

Good advice from the other posters, so i won't repeat. But I think Stormie mentioned chocolate. A cup of coffee goes very well with choc.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
:Hug2: I think you're doing an excellent job, far better than most people I know your age. Keep up the good work and don't let these be stumbling blocks . . . let them pave the path toward your eventual goal.

erika

Registered
Reaction score
You're doing a whole lot better than some of us out here, so take heart. I've been rejected more times than I care to share. And to top it off, I find out now that my query was awful, so somehow I've got to start from scratch.

It sounds like to me, you're in pretty good shape. She liked it and that's a great start.

Keep the faith!!

Erika

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Erika, I'd be happy to take a look at your query if you'd like. I'm sure it's not "awful," and I seriously doubt you need to start from scratch. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks again to everyone for all the support. :)

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Maddy, I think I stopped requiring kleenex to read my rejections after the tenth one. Do keep sending queries out-- my kids are in desperate need of good YA novels to read!

Status
Not open for further replies.