• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Newbie Looking for Mentor

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatRiley

Registered
Reaction score
I am relatively new to writing and am looking for a mentor to help me along as I develop my writing skills. My specific interest is in mystery/crime. I am starting out with short stories, because I feel that is the best way for me to uncover my strengths and weaknesses. I would eventually like to also write novels.

Specifically, I'm looking for someone to offer feedback on my writing and keep me pointed in the right direction. While I have come up with a set of personal goals for the coming months, I would also like a mentor to help keep me on track with those goals. I would prefer someone who is published, but am open to anyone with strong writing skills who feels they could offer valuable feedback.

I posted a short story to the SYW forum which should give an indication of where I'm at as a writer. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38043

Thanks!

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
Hi!
I read the short piece you posted and I have to say that I like it. A LOT. I certainly would read more and believe me I'm "tough" when it comes to being drawn into a story.

For someone "new" to writing you've done very well.:)

I've had a lot of experience with smaller publishers this past year so if I can be of any help answering any questions feel free to PM or email.

Bsher213(at)yahoo.com

c2ckim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thereadersretreat.com
Hey, I read your work and I really liked it too. This may not be the way you want to go but The Readers Retreat or (the competition) Virtual Tales epublish serials and e-books. Most of the writers here try to avoid e-publishing and prefer print books and that's fine. Epublishing is only one of many ways to go and for a new writer it at least gets them experience.
Just a suggestion!

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
c2ckim said:
Most of the writers here try to avoid e-publishing and prefer print books and that's fine.

There are some good ones out there and while odds are you aren't going to make any big bucks it's as good way to get/keep your name out there. You just need to choose the e-pub wisely.

Aubiefan

Registered
Reaction score
I tried to follow the link to your story but it wouldn't work, would you mind reposting? I'd definitely be interested in reading it!

Status
Not open for further replies.