Is Replying To Comments Important?

stuartSan

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of bloggers advocate replying to comments, and quick too, because it makes the posters feel important.

Personally, I notice popular blogs keeping replies to comments to a minimum. I think this gives the bloggers an authoritative aura. What do you guys think?

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
stuartSan said:
A lot of bloggers advocate replying to comments, and quick too, because it makes the posters feel important.

Personally, I notice popular blogs keeping replies to comments to a minimum. I think this gives the bloggers an authoritative aura. What do you guys think?
it depends on the nature of the comment. When your visitor asks a question then you should always answer. If not, then it is upto you.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
IMHO some comments call for a reply and others don't. I would hope to be authorative from content not reactivity.

Thomma Lyn

Cat Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thommalyngrindstaff.com
I always respond to comments on my li'l ol' blog. I appreciate people taking the time to visit, read, and comment, and I feel strongly about telling them so. :)

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
Always reply to comments

Pellegrina Leoni said:
I always respond to comments on my li'l ol' blog. I appreciate people taking the time to visit, read, and comment, and I feel strongly about telling them so. :)
I couldn't have said it better, so I will just echo Pellegrina's view on this.

Sury

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
I don't get many comments at my blog, but when I do, I usually respond (if for no other reason than to thank the person for commenting).

I've also noticed that bloggers with popular blogs rarely reply. But on many of these blogs, commenters often take control and begin their own conversations back and forth, which is sometimes just as insightful...

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I think it's definitely important to comment when someone asks a question. As for other comments, I play it by ear. If I have something to say in response, I'll usually say it.

I also make an effort to visit their blog when they comment. And if I read something interesting, I'll also leave a comment.

country-writer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.felinexpress.com
Most of my visitors to my blog are looking for help with feral cats. To not answer them would mean ignoring the cat who has already been ignored in life by society. I do not answer those who just say they enjoy my blog. I'm glad they do, but it's not crucial to me to answer them.

KellyC

wearer of many hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.2passthetorch.com
I have a somewhat different take on comment replies. I get a fair number of comments on most of my posts, and a lot of comments on my meme- posts. So replying to that many comments in my comments seemed a little odd. Besides, i noticed that typically when I leave a comment on someone else's blog, either they don't reply in comments, or I never go back to check anyway.

SO, my mode of operations is to comment on their blog instead. This way, they definitely get my response and everyone gets a lift when they get a comment. I may also refer back to the comment they left on my site, which sometimes generates interest back to my site from their comments.

So far, it's working for me.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
interesting topic. i reply if it someone posts a question or it feels like a response is required, but as kelly has pointed out people often don't return to their comments so they may never see the reply. i guess one day subscription options will be offered (ie tick this box if you would like to be notified if someone else comments on this topic).

i like the idea of visiting other people's blogs to start a dialogue. something to think about

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
With coComments, a person can track conversation in the blog comments they comment in. But it doesn't work with all blogs or all blogging platforms.

Some blogs offer subscriptions to comments. I've subscribed to a few.