Organization Memberships - Credentials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianTubbs

Registered
Reaction score
Would membership in the Historical Novel Society help me (in terms of credentials, credibility, etc) in securing a publisher - were I to submit a historical novel ms?

I realize there are OTHER benefits - as you and their website have pointed out. And these other benefits may be enough for me to join, even if the answer to the above question is 'no.'

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Hello, Brian.

I moved your question to a discussion thread of its own because I think it's an important issue.

That said, personally I don't think membership in most organizations is a viable credentialing agent unless the organization has rigid membership guideliens and criteria you have to meet before becoming a member. SFWA and NWU come to mind on those.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Nope!

The only things that get your book published are the facts that it is well written, with an original voice and style and the editor likes it.

Having publishing credits - short story or articles in the HNS journals - might help you off the slush pile but won't sell your book.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe there is a general answer. Any exposure is good. It cannot hurt and can only help, if not in publishing, then in mingling with people more and less successful than you. I have belonged to historical societies in 2 cities and helped with research on several books and publications for different eras. It will help to use those creds. It will not stand on it's own but I know publishers would like to see more than a couple of references of involvement.

Groups have a louder voice than individuals.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
What belonging to a society like that can do isn't necessarily sell books. But it can put you in a position to network with people who would want to read your books, and as such, give you the insights you might need to better tailor your WIP to your audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.