Odd phobias?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have or know anyone who has an odd phobia?

I worked with a girl for a while who was absolutely terrified of balloons. Couldn't stand to be near them. Standard balloons, balloon animals, balloon-esque products, she couldn't do it. It was odd, but you knew she wasn't faking it, because when people tested her she'd genuinely freak out in that "there's no way she's faking it" kind of way.

A friend of mine says he worked with a girl who was terrified of Michael Myers from the Halloween movies. As in, somebody came to work dressed as Michael & she was a sobbing, terrified mess until he shed the outfit (I'm presuming he had a change of clothes in the car or something).

Any stories like that you care to share if you dare?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Clowns--clowns really weird me out and make me run the other way.

And spiders, but that's not so weird.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
i have a weird sort of claustrophobia. Not really the closed-in small spaces or crowds so much as being "trapped" inside something or somewhere. Example: in a conference room at a job I had a few years ago (10 maybe?) we had a lunch meeting that lasted a couple hours. When we went to leave the door was locked. We couldn't get out. We were in there (about 12 of us) for another 2 hours. Thankfully we had a phone in there, called the receptionist and she sent someone to fix it. I was in a dead ****ing panic. first of all, no access to a bathroom is a bit frightening especially in the presence of the President, CEO and VP of a company. And besides that, I just don't like being trapped in general. My siblings used to take advantage of this fact when I was a kid and freak me out by turning out a light and locking a door with me on the other side screaming like an idiot. *fun times. fun times*

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Oh oh oh...I'm also terrified of caves after seeing "The Descent" last weekend.

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
I can understand the balloon thing :(

I can be in the same room as them, but it makes me nervous. They might just pop at any time and that's absolutely unbearable to me!!!

I had to blow up balloons for an event at work once.

Once.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
trumancoyote said:
I can understand the balloon thing :(

I can be in the same room as them, but it makes me nervous. They might just pop at any time and that's absolutely unbearable to me!!!

I had to blow up balloons for an event at work once.

Once.

oh great...i write something for you about ****ing balloons...sorry tru! :(

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Hahaha. That was a wonderful and touching metaphor, babe.

The word 'balloon' doesn't make me cringe. Now, if one was rubbing up against me or something, that's a whole other matter.

Heheh. You're a peach ^_^

PS - Besides, you know I like things mixed. Bitter-sweet. Terrifying-touching. That sort of thing. You done good. You done good.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
my kids like balloons, and every now and then Jack will give one a squeeze and it makes that horrible "Squeak" noise - I cringe waiting for the pop... <shudder>

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
My wife is scared of dwarves- not the regularly proportioned little people, but the ones with the elongated heads and stubby fingers. I know one is nearby because I will feel her fingers digging into my arm. So scared is she that if I pull my arms and legs inside my shirt and waddle around she's scared of me! I have long since learned never to do this of course...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
jbal said:
My wife is scared of dwarves- not the regularly proportioned little people, but the ones with the elongated heads and stubby fingers. I know one is nearby because I will feel her fingers digging into my arm. So scared is she that if I pull my arms and legs inside my shirt and waddle around she's scared of me! I have long since learned never to do this of course...

Of course not...

I, contrarily, can be a little disconcerted by very tall & very thin people. Being a tall, thin person myself, people find this very odd about me, but it's true. Especially the idea of disproportionately long limbs. Brrr... if I ever met Kevin McHale in real life I'd shudder...

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Ooh! I don't know if this counts as a phobia necessarily... but I hate being wet out of its appropriate context. As in, showers, baths, swimming, and torrential cum-shots are fine, but if I'm not in a situation that typically involves wetness, I absolutely hatehatehate being wet. At all.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I am terrified of that Christian children's show "Davey & Goliath." I can't watch it. It just freaks me out. It has ever since I was a kid.

I'm also afraid of cars, but I've been told that is not considered a phobia, since cars, you know, kill people. Phobias must be irrational in order to be phobias.

Jcomp said:
It was odd, but you knew she wasn't faking it, because when people tested her she'd genuinely freak out in that "there's no way she's faking it" kind of way.

Something I've always wondered...any time you hear someone talk about a person they know with a strange phobia, they always have to add that the person isn't faking it. Why would someone want to fake being scared of balloons? Would a person have anything to gain by having a bizarre phobia?

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Possibly, Truman. I suppose I just never questioned why someone would pretend to be scared of something silly, so if I did witness it, I wasn't aware.

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
I'm glad it doesn't make sense to you. Seriously -- it only makes sense to me because half of my old friends were douche-baggy, Gothic attention whores.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
trumancoyote said:
I'm glad it doesn't make sense to you. Seriously -- it only makes sense to me because half of my old friends were douche-baggy, Gothic attention whores.

What he said. Not that any were friends, but I've met people who I know weren't really afraid of certain things. For instance (and this is by no means a jab at anyone in the thread or on the board) I've been around people who swear they're afraid of clowns only after one person mentions it in a group setting. I'm teaching a class, somehow the discussion steers to movies (probably because I tend to get off topic & talk about movies, how about that), someone mentions how they've been scared of clowns ever since Poltergiest or IT, and then everyone in class is like "oh yeah, clowns are creepy, I can't stand them, they freak me out." I'm standing there thinking "now you know damn well not all of you mickey-fickeys are scared of clowns. Some of y'all just don't want to be left out." It happens...

stephblake24

Registered
Reaction score
I am afraid to lick an envelope. Might get a paper cut on the tongue. I use a glue stick.

Also, I don't light pilot lights or start the grill. Too scared of explosions.

I love the Aunt in Limony Snickets. She is afraid of everything. Cracks me up.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I saw a Maury Povich once (years and years ago) where they were curing people of their phobias by hypnosis.

This one woman, a waitress, was afraid of lettuce. Someone else would have to deliver the plate for her if a customer ordered salad or a sandwich.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tunnels. I hate tunnels. Every time I go through one it gets a little worse.
I didn't used to be that way..... I don't know what happened.

So if you're going through a tunnel thinking 'what the heck is wrong with that woman?! Why is she slowing down?!' it's me. It seems like I'm flying through there but I'm down to 40 or 45 mph by the time I get to the end.

And dang ain't I happy, skippy.

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
I don't like blenders. I don't know if you could call it a phobia, but I go out of my way not to be near them--especially when they're plugged in and ready for action.

I'll sit there and stir something until my arm falls off to avoid having to use one. If that won't work, I'll pour in whatever needs puree-ing, leave the kitchen, and tell someone else to go in and press the button(s). I won't return until the liquification is complete.

Maybe it's because of that scene in Goonies, or maybe it's my extreme dislike of both loud noises and spinning blades.... who knows. I'm just really not feelin' the love when it comes to blenders.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any kind of gas appliance. This mild phobia was not helped when I worked in a commercial kitchen with a finicky deep-fryer that had what the repair man called a "delayed start." (Which actually meant you turned it on, held your breath, and waited for it to ignite.) The first time it did this, the flame from the pilot light blew the doors open, knocking me over.

It's no longer a mild phobia.

Status
Not open for further replies.