Not open for further replies.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Welllllllllllllllll..........

We finally have me entirely set up for college. The only problem? Almost all the classes were filled up. I only get to take on class this semester, psychology.

The advisor who helped me register said "Sorry, but it's the only class available at this time."

So I said "Whoo! I'm taking college psychology!" and skipped my merry way out the door to indulge myself in coffee and a cigarette.

Life is good. :D

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One is a start. I'm just a little worried. Do they know what they are doing? Psychology is a tool and we all know about tools in the wrong hands ;)

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
So, EVERY general education requirement class that you could've possibly taken was full?

I seriously doubt that. There are always classes you can take that fill your gen. ed. requirements. And, they're not always classes that general advisors look for, unless you push them to. Granted, a lot of them suck and aren't things you wanna take, but sometimes you gotta suck it up and take the sh!t classes in order to get your credits.

And, I agree with KTC. You waited way too long before you registered.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Actually, many, many classes will open up as students drop out of them. Make a list of all your preferred classes and SHOW UP FOR CLASS EARLY.

Introduce yourself to the professor ahead of time, and give her/him your number, and tell her/him that you want in this class real bad if and when someone drops.

Show up again the next week, and see if anything's changed.

You may not get into all of the classes, but you can probably get into one or two.

Especially at the Freshman and Sophomore levels, people drop, and/or just never show up.

Sometimes, especially in advanced classes, a professor might just add you if you bribe them with bourbon.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
One class? I hope you won't drink too much. :)

Make sure you don't ten 10 years to finish your degree. One of my college chums did... OK, 8 years. Still.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
badducky said:
Actually, many, many classes will open up as students drop out of them. Make a list of all your preferred classes and SHOW UP FOR CLASS EARLY.

Introduce yourself to the professor ahead of time, and give her/him your number, and tell her/him that you want in this class real bad if and when someone drops.

Show up again the next week, and see if anything's changed.

You may not get into all of the classes, but you can probably get into one or two.

Especially at the Freshman and Sophomore levels, people drop, and/or just never show up.

Sometimes, especially in advanced classes, a professor might just add you if you bribe them with bourbon.

That's really good advice, and so true. I've been able to register for a few closed classes that way.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
taking one class a semester is not a great way to start your college career.

best of luck to you.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you won't have a hazardous workload. I'm sure you can join some classes after the year begins. A lot of people drop out of classes that aren't what they expected, or reshuffle their timetable. Put yourself on a waiting list for the classes you want, and, well, wait.

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
One class...still gonna be a problem if it starts early morning...

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I know, I'm terrible at getting things done early. Regsitering 2 weeks before school is perfect timing in my book.

I'll only be taking one course this semester, buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt next semester I'm going to register early. I'm going to busy as hell come January.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I won't be taking one class every semester, obviously. Next semester, I'm loading up my plate with lotsssssss of classes (all basics, though). I'm even going to sign up for both summer semesters to make up for my mistake of registering 2 weeks before school.

Raiyah

Shopaholic
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about not getting into the classes you wanted to get in, usually a lot of people change their classes the first week before the add/drop period ends. Also if there is a class you REALLY want to get into, go to the professor and beg, they usually slide the rules for you. Also, have you checked out ratemyprofessor.com? Check up ur professors and make sure that your not gonna get stuck with a horrible one. . .that website helped me avoid horrible pain-in-the-a*s professors.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
In honor of Tsuki, I went to sign up for college today, and the bastards told me that since I didn't take any courses in spring 05 I had to apply again. So I did... in 2 days I can register for the classes I want to take...

Thinking about doing a full load again. 6 english classes. BOOYAH.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Two things:

-Hopefully you're able to get into some of the classes after folks drop, as others have instructed. I don't know your particular situation, but many things (such as any financial assistance, or your parents' insurance plans, etc) may hinge on you continuing to be a full-time student, which one class won't allow.

-Take as many early classes as possible. The earlier you take your classes, the faster you're finished for the day. Life in the evening is much more fun when you finish all your classwork by the afternoon...

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Taking one class and getting your feet wet isn't the end of the universe as we know it. Enjoy your class, get your bearings, and gear up for January.

*shudders at thought of Andrea armed with knowledge of the id*

Status
Not open for further replies.