PDA

View Full Version : The YA Hall O' Fame

Soccer Mom
08-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Nominate your favorite YA novel of all time.

I'll start off with Holes, by Louis Sachar.

TwentyFour
08-17-2006, 09:33 PM
I nominate "The Outsiders" By S.E.Hinton. I just love Johnny, he's a doll whether its on the page or the movie! http://images.quizilla.com/C/Calengonien/1054898019_uresjohnny.jpg

moondance
08-17-2006, 09:39 PM
Favourite of all time??!
That's hard...

OK, I'm going with 'The Dark is Rising' by Susan Cooper.

Aesposito
08-17-2006, 09:40 PM
"The Girl Who Owned a City" by OT Nelson. I read this as a teen, and even 25 years later it still sticks with me.

Audrey

Peggy
08-17-2006, 09:42 PM
I vote for "Are you there, God, It's Me Margaret" by Judy Blume. It was a real eye opener - serious topics that were on my mind as a young teen, but presented in a style that was funny and not sappy or sanctimonious.

Honey Nut Loop
08-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Favourite of all time??!
That's hard...

Ooh love that one. I've read it several times.

Rane
08-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Mine is definitely Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson.

stormie
08-18-2006, 12:10 AM
I agree with soccer mom. HOLES by Louis Sacher is my favorite YA. I don't like the Fear Street books (aimed at the YA market) by R.L.Stine. He says he writes two a month. It shows.

UrsulaV
08-18-2006, 12:23 AM
I'm a big fan of "The Hero and the Crown" and "The Blue Sword" by Robin McKinley.

And pretty much anything Pratchett writes for YA is a great read, too.

PattiTheWicked
08-18-2006, 12:51 AM
I love Holes. It's just brilliant. My other favorites are The Midwife's Apprentice and Catherine, Called Birdy, by Karen Cushman. I'm also a big fan of The Royal Diaries series.

Oh, and Nancy Drew. No list is completely without Nancy.

KTC
08-18-2006, 12:53 AM
My son just read HOLES. It was the fastest he ever went through a book. He loved it.

I would put A SEPARATE PEACE on that list. Author: JOHN KNOWLES

Bk_30
08-18-2006, 01:35 AM
A favorite Author? that's like saying pick a favorite Kid..I can't pick just one :(

Isabeaulia
08-18-2006, 03:34 AM
Harriet the Spy!

TwentyFour
08-18-2006, 05:42 AM
My son would say Harry Potter, but I just got him a couple of those nickteen books of Drake and Josh and he's thrilled. It's good to have a son who has similiar interests!

C.bronco
08-18-2006, 05:44 AM
Favourite of all time??!
That's hard...

Here here!

Soccer Mom
08-18-2006, 07:15 AM
Some wonderful books! I loved the Nancy Drews and I love Harry Potter too. Harriet the Spy! Yay! I'm wondering how I missed "The Dark is Rising." I've never read it, but will remedy that immediately.

CaptMorgan
08-18-2006, 07:22 AM
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine, if that counts! I need a new copy--mine is completely falling apart.

moondance
08-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Very glad to see I'm in such good company ;)

I have read The Dark is Rising so many times it's falling apart. Fantastic series (for those who don't know it, it's the second in a series of books: Over Sea Under Stone, The Dark is Rising, Greenwitch, The Grey King, Silver on the Tree)

Grey Malkin
08-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Holes would definitely be in my top ten, as would Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman, but I always like to mention The Butterfly Tattoo by Philip Pullman as that was the book that pulled me into YA fiction in the first place (I used to write crime)

Bk_30
08-18-2006, 02:30 PM
ya'll are mean mean mean I tell ya! my hubby is about to ban me from bookstores for life :)

Honey Nut Loop
08-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Very glad to see I'm in such good company ;)

I have read The Dark is Rising so many times it's falling apart. Fantastic series (for those who don't know it, it's the second in a series of books: Over Sea Under Stone, The Dark is Rising, Greenwitch, The Grey King, Silver on the Tree)

I went through a phase when i loved the books so much i memorised some of the poems.

Let's see...
When the dark comes arising, six shall turn it back,
Three from the cirlce, three from the track,
Iron, bronze, wood, water, fire, stone,
Five shall return and one go alone.

Iron for the birthday, bronze carried long,
Wood from teh burning, stone out of song,
Fire in the candle ring, water from the thaw,
Six signs the circle, and the grail gone before

Fire in the mountain shall find the harp of gold,
Played to wake the sleepers, oldest of the old.
Power from the Greenwitch, lost beneath the sea
All shall find the light at last, silver on the tree

I'm pretty sure i've made a mistake somewhere, but how's that for an obsession. I used to know the other poem too. 'On the day of the dead...'

I'll shut up now before i look any geekier.

niczav
08-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Can't do just one:

A Solitary Blue - Cynthia Voigt
Neverending Story - Michael Ende
Episode of Sparrows - Rumer Godden
My Side of the Mountain - Jean George

Four books I've reread on a very regular basis since my early teens.

Evaine
08-20-2006, 04:13 PM
"On the day of the dead, when the year too dies,
Must the youngest open the oldest hills..."

Yep, another Susan Cooper fan here!

However, I'm also enjoying Diane Duane's Young Wizard series, which started with So You Want to Be a Wizard?

The term Young Adult wasn't really around when I was a young teenager - so what I was reading then didn't really have a category. I loved historical novels by Rosemary Sutcliff, Geoffrey Trease, Henry Treece, and Mary Renault, and romantic mysteries by Mary Stewart.

KimJo
08-20-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm joining the Susan Cooper fan club here! :) The Dark Is Rising was the first real fantasy novel I read, and I was hooked. I memorized the poems as well :) My favorite out of that series is the fourth book, The Grey King. I tried to get my 11-year-old interested in the series (I was ten when I read The Dark Is Rising) but she said it was boring...

Diane Duane's series is also excellent, though I've only read the first three books :)

TwentyFour
08-20-2006, 07:09 PM
I also loved "Spencers Mountain" and "The Homecoming" By Earl Hamner Jr. I hope you choose to read them, the Homecoming is a beautiful story you will love!

Sesselja
08-20-2006, 08:42 PM
I don't know if I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith is considered YA or not, but if it is, that would be my favourite, I think.

And His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman is (are? I never get this right) great too, paticularly the first book, The Golden Compass.

moth
08-20-2006, 09:21 PM
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.

Warp
08-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Hi. I'm new and this thread was too fun to pass up.

I'd have to go with The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander and The Secret Country Trilogy by Pamela Dean. Oh, and I'll give honorable mentions to Howl's Moving Castle and The Cart and The Cwidder by Diana Wynne Jones.

There are so many good ones though that it's hard to choose.

niczav
08-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Just like Warp, I can't keep away from this. Anything by Diane Wynne Jones and Robert Westall has got to be tops. And Sesslja, you're right that the Golden Compass (or Northern Lights, as it's known here) was by far the best of an awesome trilogy. Maybe a knew thread analysing why we think it was better?

AbbyJoy
08-22-2006, 12:32 AM
The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo (that might be MG, but it's my all time favourite).

Zolah
08-22-2006, 12:59 AM
Corrections in capitals:

Let's see...
When the dark comes RISING, six shall turn it back,
Three from the cirlce, three from the track,
WOOD, BRONZE, IRON, water, fire, stone,
Five shall return and one go alone.

Iron for the birthday, bronze carried long,
Wood from teh burning, stone out of song,
Fire FROM the candle ring, water from the thaw,
Six signs the circle, and the grail gone before

Fire ON the mountain shall find the harp of gold,
Played to wake the sleepers, oldest of the old.
Power from the Greenwitch, lost beneath the sea
All shall find the light at last, silver on the tree

You think you're geeky? Bow down before the geekiness that is Zolah. I know all the poetry from those books. I've re-read them every year (at Christmas) since I was eleven years old.

Soccer Mom
08-22-2006, 06:55 AM
I just dug out some things from an old box at my parents house. My original copies of several Robert Peck books. (Yes, I'm showing my age.) I could probably make money if I sold off all my children's book, but I can't bear the thought of letting them go. Part with my Marguerite Henry and Nancy Drews? Perish the thought!

Bk_30
08-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Hey are your Nancy Drews the grey cover collection or the double issue collection? My first ones where bound in yellow and very shinny, then I was given someones old set. Those were the ones bound in a grey cloth like cover.

Soccer Mom
08-23-2006, 02:49 AM
Oooh, not the cloth ones. I would love those. Mine are the yellow ones that were published in the sixties and seventies.

Bk_30
08-23-2006, 04:09 AM
Did anyone else read Trixie Belden,or was it just me?

moth
08-23-2006, 04:36 AM
I read Trixie Belden too! Barely remember them though, it's been so long.

Soccer Mom
08-23-2006, 06:45 AM
Yay! I loved Trixie Belden and the Meg Ashley books and 3 Investigators. Hmmm. Wonder why I write mysteries?

Bk_30
08-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Encyclopedia Brown? I never read Meg Ashley or 3 Investigators though..hmm have to look for those :)

Maprilynne
08-23-2006, 11:28 PM
The Giver by Lois Lowry. Possibly the best book of all time.

Loved Twilight and New Moon by Stephanie Meyer as well, but neither of them are as good as Eclipse which is coming out in about two years. (I love knowing authors.:))

Maprilynne

Honey Nut Loop
08-24-2006, 01:48 AM
The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. Love it, and everyone i've lent it to has loved it too.

MarkN
08-24-2006, 04:18 AM
Well, when I was a young adult (back when computers were built out of vacuum tubes!) my favorites were:

Moon of Three Rings, Andre Norton
The Werewolf Principle, Clifford Simak
Tunnel In the Sky, Robert Heinlein

Used to read a lot, but those were three that I read over and over.

Now that I'm older, and my kids are getting into YA, I'm reading some new stuff, and I like:

Howl's Moving Castle, Dianne Wynne Jones (did I spell that right?)
HP & The Prisoner of Azkaban, JK Rowling
..., ???

Um, I haven't finished The Amber Spyglass yet, but I liked The Golden Compass quite a bit. Holes, Artemis Fowl, and others are still on my to-read list.

Niesta
08-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Diana Wynne Jones! But I'm more of a Fire and Hemlock person.

Back when I actually was a young adult, however... I would have gone with Tolkien. Or Lloyd Alexander.

Soccer Mom
08-25-2006, 12:45 AM
I just read a marvelous book called "The Way I Live Now." I can't remember the author's name, but I'll edit and add it in. I really enjoyed it. Very unusual.

pea
08-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Great topic. My new favorite YA book is The Schwa Was Here by Neil Schusterman. It's written in the first person and is very stream of consciousness middle school boy, maybe like a less angst ridden Holden Caufield of the middle school set. If you liked Holes, this is another quirky, offbeat story that's a ton of fun. I read it on the way back from an International Reading Association Conference on the plane, and people must have thought I was crazy because I was laughing out loud and crying. I love books that make me look like a crazy person.

Ditto to some of the titles that others have mentioned: Holes, Speak, The Way I Live Now

I also love Walter Dean Myers. His novel Monster is such a fascinating concept. My students love it. He also has a book of YA poetry that I like called Here in Harlem.

moondance
08-27-2006, 10:56 PM
I just read a marvelous book called "The Way I Live Now." I can't remember the author's name, but I'll edit and add it in. I really enjoyed it. Very unusual.

How I Live Now by Meg Rossoff?
Lovely, lovely book. One of those you wish you'd written...

pea
08-27-2006, 11:14 PM

That's the one. Oops...I left my copy at school over the summer and didn't think to check the title. Thanks for the correction.

glutton
08-28-2006, 12:27 AM
The Hero and The Crown, Robin McKinley. Great story, and the heroine is one tough cookie.

Soccer Mom
08-28-2006, 01:27 AM

Yes, that's the one. What a wonderful book. I didn't see anything else by the author on the shelf, but I intend to google her on Amazon and see if she's got anything else out there.

moondance
08-28-2006, 12:03 PM
She's just had her second one published (can't remember title, it's only just out) - How I Live Now was her debut. The advance was a LOT. But the book is worth it ;)

Soccer Mom
08-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Wow. Now that's a debut novel. Thanks for the heads up. I'll look for her new one.

kilamangiro
08-29-2006, 05:53 AM
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
Treasure Island.
His Dark Materials.

Aubrey
09-02-2006, 12:53 AM
What, no mention of Catcher in The Rye? That had to have been one of the first non PC YA books since Huck Finn. I just love it.

Also:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower (which is rather similar to Catcher, in a good way)
Annette Curtis Klaus books (Blood and Chocolate, The Silver Kiss, etc)
John Marsden books, despite the way most end with an abrupt clunk.
Judy Bloom books
Paula Danzinger books
Terry Pratchett's Discworld books aimed at young teens (which are really no different than his regular Discworld books)

I've read countless teen books over the years, so there are plently of other titles and authors I love. I'm just forgetting the names right now.

Riptide
09-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Okay, there are three that come to mind and I can't tell which one is my very favorite. Depending on the specific criteria I look at, any of these three could be #1 on my list.

1. Peter and The Starcatchers
2. Walk Two Moons
3. The Cay

Variant Frequencies
09-18-2006, 05:29 PM
I loved the Black Stallion by Walter Farley when I was a kid. Now I read everything by Eoin Colfer that I can get my hands on. I especially like the Artemis Fowl series, and The Wish List was also very good.

Bk_30
09-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Walter Farley was the man..up until The Black Stallion and the Girl..uugh! hated that one.

worthyadvisor
09-20-2006, 03:58 AM
Well, there's so many, but three stick out in my mind:

1. Alice in Wonderland (my all time favorite!)
2. A book called Follow My Leader (I think that's right. I can't remember the author though, but it was about a boy who became blind when a neighbor kid throws a firecracker at him. It follows him as he learns braille and learns to work with a guide dog.)
3. The Young Wizards series by Diane Duane.

Oh, and when I was a little older there was Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume (if I remember correctly).

Bk_30
09-20-2006, 07:39 AM
3. A Swiftly Tilting Planet - Madeleine L'Engle

She also wrote a series for adults..(heheh) The first of which is .. When Pigs Fly. Very good!!

My kids and I love her stuff. My favorite is the most recent book, Many Waters. The twins are teens, and get sent back in time...

Evaine
09-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Madeline l'Engle is a brilliant writer. I love the one set around St John's Cathedral - The Young Unicorns - and A Wrinkle in Time.

Honey Nut Loop
09-24-2006, 02:22 AM
Ooh just remembered one. 'Noughts and Crosses' by Malorie Blackman

sharpierae
10-01-2006, 05:11 PM
I don't know if it's Hall of Fame material, but I just finished reading them and they deserve at least honorable mention. The Uglies trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. That's Uglies, Pretties and Specials. I read all three within five days, very interesting themes and action-packed stories. I'm looking to get my hands on more of his books.

xxxrae

Melissa_Marr
10-01-2006, 10:20 PM
There are so many great YAs out there, but Speak L. Halse Anderson is my fav.

ixchel
10-01-2006, 10:37 PM
There are tons of great YA reads out there. I can't wait to read yours Melissa next year!

Here are some of my favs:

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
The Midnight series by Scott Westerfeld
Blue Bloods by Melissa De Cruz
Forever by Judy Blume
Green Angel by Alice Hoffman

Melissa_Marr
10-01-2006, 10:52 PM
There are tons of great YA reads out there. I can't wait to read yours Melissa next year!

Here are some of my favs:

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
The Midnight series by Scott Westerfeld
Blue Bloods by Melissa De Cruz
Forever by Judy Blume
Green Angel by Alice Hoffman

Thanks :) Reading your list is like looking at my YA shelves. Those are all on the shelf. Green Angel is my fav of the bunch though, such a wonderful read.

ixchel
10-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Melissa-

If you loved GREEN ANGEL then read THE FORTELLING by Alice Hoffman. Once more a great read.

RhinoMom
10-10-2006, 10:39 PM
I too loved The Dark is Rising series. Made a big impact on me as a kid.
Of course, also loved a Wrinkle in Time.
Other favorites: The Black Cauldron and all the other books by Lloyd Alexander.
Loved the John Bellairs books (like A Figure in the Shadows and A House with a Clock in its Walls).
Also: The Witch Herself series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (maybe this is more middle grade though?)
Other favorites:
The City of Gold and Lead trilogy by John Christopher.

Bk_30
10-18-2006, 06:16 PM
T.A. Barron [I]The Lost Years of Merlin[I] awesome series my middle son discovered.

andracill
10-22-2006, 06:35 AM
I also can't wait to read melissa's....

My top three (or so):
I have to list authors, as I tend to 'cleave' to an author and devour their writings --

1. Madeliene L'Engle (also like her adult book LIVE COAL IN THE SEA)
2. Norma Johnston (probably my favorite as an actual teen)
3. Tamora Pierce

And many others (Mary Stolz, June Foley, Sandy Asher, Susan Cooper, EL Konigsburg -- to name a few).

sammyig
10-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Let's see:

For the Older crowd- Lee Wyndham's Slipper under Glass and Golden Slippers series ( about a young ballet dancer)

Target- ( about a male suffering from an eating disorder)

Harry Potter ( can't go without mentioning those)

Born Confused- Hidier ( about a young Indian girl growing up in America)

The Best Little Girl in the World - Steven Levenkron

I could go on forever *l*

Lyra Jean
10-24-2006, 07:34 PM
"The Girl Who Owned a City" by OT Nelson. I read this as a teen, and even 25 years later it still sticks with me.

Audrey

I love that book. My mom read it too. We always wondered what book she had that had all the answers. If I wrote OT Nelson do you think he would answer?

(My apologies if OT Nelson is a woman. It's been a while since I read the book.)

Lyra Jean
10-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Just like Warp, I can't keep away from this. Anything by Diane Wynne Jones and Robert Westall has got to be tops. And Sesslja, you're right that the Golden Compass (or Northern Lights, as it's known here) was by far the best of an awesome trilogy. Maybe a knew thread analysing why we think it was better?

His Dark Materials Trilogy is awesome. I bought the boxed set and currently reading it.

Roger J Carlson
10-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Showing my age, but I loved the Robert Heinlein juveniles. I can still read and enjoy them. My favorites:

The Rolling Stones
Citizen of the Galaxy

Lyra Jean
10-24-2006, 07:48 PM
"The Diary of Anne Frank" by Anne Frank
"Invitation to the Game"
"Fire-us" trilogy
anything by Anne Rinaldi my favorite is "Wolf by the Ears" and "The Coffin Quilt"
"The Giver" by Lois Lowry

Sorry I can't remember the authors of the other works.

Evaine
10-25-2006, 10:38 PM
I've just read a book called Marco's Pendulum, by Thom Madley - and I'm so glad he's writing a sequel, because it is brilliant!
It's set in Glastonbury, and he gets the odd atmosphere of the town perfectly, with the New Age hippies on one side and the 'normal' town on the other.
If I was going to compare it with anything, I'd say The Wierdstone of Brisingamen by Alan Garner, but updated (the kid has a laptop and a mobile, as well as a pendulum).
Oh, and unlike Harry Potter, the Paganism he describes here is real.

Thom Madley is also Phil Rickman, who writes adult mysteries about Merrily Watkins, a woman Anglican vicar who is also the diocesan exorcist for Herefordshire.

psychnurse
10-26-2006, 02:36 AM
Children of the Dust--sorry I don't remember who wrote it though. I grew up with a 'storm celler' in my back yard, but I didn't understand the dials and guages all over it until I was grown and moved out.

Alex Bravo
10-26-2006, 03:21 AM
My son kept bugging me about a book so I read it, "The Lightning Thief" and it was really good and super creative like the Harry Potter books. I always love it when a book makes me jealous because I wish I had written it!!!

clangomatic
10-26-2006, 04:19 AM
One of my favorites of all time is "Life with Lisa" by Sybil Burr. It's now out of print as far as I know.

In the 40s or 50s, at age 12, Lisa Longland checks out the famous diary of Samuel Pepys from the library and decides to keep her own diary so that children can read about her in the future. This is the diary.

It's a wonderful period piece with YA themes that are timeless. It's "presented" by Sybil Burr as if Lisa is a real person. I read it when I was 10 and was totally convinced Lisa was real and that this truly was her diary. The voice is wonderful and very genuine.

andracill
10-28-2006, 01:05 AM
I'm pretty sure CHILDREN OF THE DUST is by HM Hoover -- another childhood fav author ;)