Check Out P.O.D.LINGS--Reviews for Small Press, POD and Self-pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PODLINGMASTER

Never trust a bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.podlingmaster.blogspot.com
Greetings little podlings,:hi:

If you are a small to medium press author, (P.O.D or conventional) or a self published author, you may want to inquire at P.O.D.LINGS about having your novel reviewed.

You may use reviews as blurbs for your cover or otherwise to help make your book cover professional and aid in word-of-mouth.

Submission guidelines are listed on-site, and are made by query email first.

until then,

Podlingmaster

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What are you qualifications for reviewing books? thks.

PODLINGMASTER

Never trust a bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Interesting question

brainstorm77 said:
What are you qualifications for reviewing books? thks.

Greetings,

I would say I am as qualified as the next person, If you find that I am able to read a book, recognize a good story and then put my thrills and thoughts about that story into an interesting review that helps other people decide if they wish to plunk down their hard earned money to buy said book.

I wish to remain Anonymous for the purpose of having my actual reviews be the basis for people either visiting and enjoying the site or submitting and/or people not finding the site enjoyable...if the reviews stink or I miss the mark on the books I recommend then I bear that burden.

However, for the record, I am a published author and enjoy reading the sorts of books that I accept for review. My college GPA was 4.0, and I made wonderful grades in all of my composition and Literature courses...does this have any bearing on my ability to spot a good book and provide an interesting and helpful review--you be the judge. Read the reviews and then read the books and see if I told you the truth about them. what more qualifications could one ask for in a reviewer of books?

I'm not selling anything and no one has to submit. The site will hopefully provide some much needed exposure to the underdog author who has managed to publish, by whatever means, a thrilling read and yet has not been noticed by the gods of New York Publishing. Each person who is considering a submission must decide for themselves if that bit of extra exposure for their work is worth the effort.

How many posts before I can load a custom avatar??

Until then,
Podlingmaster

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Its 50 post then you can add your own avatar.

PODLINGMASTER

Never trust a bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Website
P.O.D.LINGS NOW POSTING GOOD AND BAD REVIEWS!

Greetings,

We at P.O.D.LINGS have decided (to make things more interesting) that we will begin posting reviews for all books accepted for review on the site. Previously we had desired to post only positive reviews for recommended reading, and leave those we would not recommend out in the cold as far as getting a posted review.

However, if we are going to spend the great lengths of unpaid time reading through unappealing novels then we might as well get to post our thoughts for the public eye on those unfortunate books as well.

Submissions have been increasing steadily and we look forward to reading all submissions whose queries are accepted. We have had the privilege of reading some very interesting books so far (and a few not to good) and hope to see more wonderful stories receiving some exposure on the site in the future.

Until then,
Podlingmaster

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
I checked out your review site.

Some thoughts and first impressions.

The top-most review had some grammatical errors that made it difficult to read and that undermine your credibility.

The book is laced with editing mistakes, that tend to really come out in force after the first half of the book and this might be expected with a self published title.

Also, there's too much plot, not enough substance for my tastes. I won't read a review site where too much plot is handed out; I'm going to read the book for the plot already and there's always the risk of spoilers. What I want from a review is to know if it's an engaging, well-written book and maybe a little about how the book made the reviewer feel or react.

Have you seen POD-dy Mouth? It has a similar concept, I think, and one of the few blogs I check daily.

Finally... your sig picture is giving me the heebie-jeebies due to my Dark Crystal phobia. :D

Last edited:

PODLINGMASTER

Never trust a bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soloset said:
I checked out your review site.

Some thoughts and first impressions.

The top-most review had some grammatical errors that made it difficult to read and that undermine your credibility.

Also, there's too much plot, not enough substance for my tastes. I won't read a review site where too much plot is handed out; I'm going to read the book for the plot already and there's always the risk of spoilers. What I want from a review is to know if it's an engaging, well-written book and maybe a little about how the book made the reviewer feel or react.

Have you seen POD-dy Mouth? It has a similar concept, I think, and one of the few blogs I check daily.

Finally... your sig picture is giving me the heebie-jeebies due to my Dark Crystal phobia. :D

Thank you for the response, Soloset. I appreciate your opinion. I didn't notice the mistake, but I get busy and rush a bit if I'm trying to get to other work. I'm a writer myself and quite busy with several projects so it gets hectic at times.
I have read Pod-dy Mouth and do visit the site regularly. I try to give enough plot to let the reader understand whether or not it is the type of story they would be interested in reading. You have to give a little plot for that and it's really nothing more than what one might find on back cover copy anyway. I do comment on problems with the plot if I have any, but people like different things about different review sites and I'm going for what I would be looking for.

I hope you find future visits more helpful. And don't mind my creepy little podlings. They won't bite...much.

Podlingmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.