PDA

View Full Version : Rotten you are, one and all. Book Club gripes and suggestions

Perks
08-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Hello, you slackers (with a few notable exceptions - myself, regrettably, not among them.)

What are we going to do? Poor, poor turnout for the last book. Any ideas? I certainly can compile another list to choose from and proceed as normal, but I'm willing to entertain ideas to liven up this process.

What do you think?

KTC
08-17-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm ready, willing and able. Just as soon as I see a book on the list I want to read.

Perks
08-17-2006, 05:17 PM
suggestions, please - here or by PM

TrainofThought
08-17-2006, 07:51 PM
I'm definitely in. I will have to do some digging and get back on suggestions, but count me in. I'll try and send today.

Unique
08-18-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm ready, willing and able. Just as soon as I see a book on the list I want to read.

That's lame.
I didn't want to read Bel Canto but I did it anyway. :e2tongue:

TeddyG
08-18-2006, 08:14 PM
Perks...there is something too erotic about that signature of yours...
"My Very First".....
I am tempted to click on it EVERY time....

As to the books....i second Kevin's statement

alleycat
08-18-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm reading The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell at the moment, after reading some of the comments concerning it on one of the last "book to read" polls.

CaroGirl
08-18-2006, 09:09 PM
That's a bit unfair to those of us who did read and comment on both book club novels so far (e.g. me). Okay, I cheated. I had read both those novels before they were chosen, but I'm willing to read whatever the next one might be. Pick a good one, Perks!

kristie911
08-19-2006, 10:48 PM
I haven't seen one I feel compelled to read yet. I just don't tend to like literary fiction...I gravitate more toward romance and stuff off the bestseller list. But pick something, Perks...I'll do my best to read it!

Besides that, I have a hard time reading a book and then discussing it beyond, "I liked it" or "I didn't like it"...usually I forget them within a couple of days of reading it. At least enough of it that it makes it hard to analyze it in depth...either that or I read too fast to pick up on "the deeper meaning" of anything! :)

Soccer Mom
08-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Make it erotica ;)

Perks
08-19-2006, 11:32 PM
I have no issue with that, except it has to be something better than The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by Anne Rice. Lovely writing, as usual for Ms. Rice. But that had to be the single dumbest, one-note piece of nonsense that I've ever read.

If someone has some erotica suggestions with substance, I'm game.

TrainofThought
08-20-2006, 03:07 AM
If interested, here are a few suggestions.

The Painter by Will Davenport - “Suspenseful erotic novel”
The Geographer's Library by Jon Fasman - “A thriller steeped in arcane lore and exotic history”
The Stolen Child: A Novel by Keith Donohue - “A blend of literary fantasy and realism”
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards - “A man with a terrible secret”

Perks
08-20-2006, 03:10 AM
Kim Edwards is going to be in my town for a booksigning later in the month. That could be cool.

MyFirstMystery
08-20-2006, 12:40 PM
I just re-read the Sparrow. Incredible book.

I just finished one you might want to consider: Love and other Impossible Pursuits by Aylet Waldman.

MFM

aruna
08-20-2006, 12:45 PM
I had read both those novels before they were chosen, but I'm willing to read whatever the next one might be. Pick a good one, Perks!

Well, I can't see I'd read everything.
I read the Poisonwood Bible and would have done so even if I hadnt read it before. I honestly wanted to red Bel Canto but the timing was wrong - I was in Germany and couldn't get hold of a copy.

My suggestions:

A Fine Balance
(or) Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

MacAllister
08-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Maybe we could get a volunteer to read aloud...

*shamefaced*

I flaked on the last book, too. Sorry. Sort of a timing crunch for me, as well.

maestrowork
08-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Suggestion: maybe we should pick something more fun/mainstream/popular/commercial next time. Something in the current best-seller lists?

aruna
08-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Suggestion: maybe we should pick something more fun/mainstream/popular/commercial next time. Something in the current best-seller lists?

That's a good idea. I also think that if you vote for a book, you should at least read it... (says she, who voted for Bel Canto and didn't read it!:tongue )

MacAllister
08-20-2006, 02:45 PM
We suck. :( What if Perks never comes back to us, now?

Or...or...

What if Perks makes us read the spanking book???

Unique
08-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Or what if Perks spanks you with the next book if you don't read it?

Which would be better? Something hefty, like Exodus?
Or thin and zingy, like the Education of Little Tree?

Birol
08-20-2006, 03:53 PM
I haven't seen one I feel compelled to read yet. I just don't tend to like literary fiction...I gravitate more toward romance and stuff off the bestseller list. But pick something, Perks...I'll do my best to read it!

One thing I've learned as a grad student is that it is good to stretch your boundaries a bit and sometimes read things you wouldn't pick up on your own. It expands your knowledge of the craft and gives you ideas for your own work that you might not have considered before.

TeddyG
08-20-2006, 03:54 PM
dont do Exodus...I read that book a zillion times...
another book by Uris could be cool though..but not the Source .. read it as well...or that last book about Japan...also read
Maybe something like Paradise Lost :D
or The Little Prince...and see what everyone gets from it...
Or the Iliad or The Idiot by Dostoyevsky...(I need an excuse to read that again)

okay okay ... Mary Higgins Clark or Patricial Cornwall....I give

MacAllister
08-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Or what if Perks spanks you with the next book if you don't read it?

Which would be better? Something hefty, like Exodus?
Or thin and zingy, like the Education of Little Tree?

*pondering*

maestrowork
08-20-2006, 08:37 PM
If you want traffic and quick turnaround, choose a thin, quick read. It doesn't mean it should be poorly written. Old Man and the Sea is very short, so are many bestsellers and classics.

If you pick something long and overtly literary, it's going to take a while, and it's going to deter SOME people from picking it up. We're not in graduate Lit class; this is a book club. People want to have fun reading something good and interesting, and have a ball discussing it.

How about James Frey's "A Million Lying Pieces"? :p

KTC
08-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Teddy, you need an excuse to read the Idiot. Pick it up. Read it. Man, I love that book. It's on my once a year reading list.

Ray...DIE. (Simply for suggesting a Million Little Pieces of Sh*t, I wish for your death. I know. I'm a terrible person.)

maestrowork
08-20-2006, 10:15 PM
I will if you die first. :p

But Kev, it would really make a GREAT discussion/trash party... I am not saying we buy that PoS... you can always take one from the shelf at BN or Charters and read it in the bathroom. Or go to the library...

TeddyG
08-21-2006, 12:17 AM
I cant just pick it up. To my mind The Idiot is the top five if not number one of the greatest books I have ever read. Dostoyevsky does something there that I have never seen done again...portrays pure innocence.
Picking it up again....will mean loosing all my tenuous hold on reality ... but then again..maybe just maybe I will...

alleycat
08-21-2006, 12:21 AM
Patricia Cornwall....
Never again.

KTC
08-21-2006, 02:21 PM
That's right, Teddy. You do lose grip on reality when you read that character. What a brilliant insight...brought me back to times that I have read it. You do slip away by the innocence. Good call!

Soccer Mom
08-30-2006, 09:49 PM
DId we ever choose a book? Bumping this back up.

Birol
08-30-2006, 10:10 PM
I'll take over guiding the selection process, but you guys will have to bring me up to speed. I know titles are selected by poll, but is there a list of titles you were already considering? How do titles get on the poll?

Can you help me out, Soccer Mom?

Soccer Mom
08-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Seems to be that everyone suggests titles and then they get put in a poll. We sort of stalled out with our suggestions (It's August!).

Here are a couple of previous polls and comments

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33682
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35616

TrainofThought
08-31-2006, 04:37 AM
I gave some book suggestions: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=740397&postcount=12 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=740397&postcount=12)
The choices are up to you.
Thanks Soccer Mom for bumping up.

Birol
08-31-2006, 09:36 AM
It looks like the tradition is to drop both the winner and the loser from the last poll, keep the three in the middle, and add two new selections?

Birol
09-01-2006, 02:37 AM
Agreed.

I don't know if I'll be coordinating this on an on-going basis. I'm just stepping into to fill the gap for the time being.

I also doubt I'll be leading the discussion once a book is selected this round. I'm a grad student and already reading 2-3 books per week, but the mods are discussing this and someone will be available to lead whatever book is chosen.

pdr
09-03-2006, 05:39 AM
The book club is a good idea but I can't make it work.

I don't have a library to visit with copies of the chosen books.

I don't have a bookshop handy to buy them.

Online bookshops take a while to send the order out and often I can't afford to buy the books new and the 2nd hand online bookshops are even slower sending books to me.

Suggestion.
How about setting up the books to read months ahead and choosing classics available every where or at least bound to have been read for the first few months?

Ralyks
09-15-2006, 10:26 PM
I cant just pick it up. To my mind The Idiot is the top five if not number one of the greatest books I have ever read. Dostoyevsky does something there that I have never seen done again...portrays pure innocence.
Picking it up again....will mean loosing all my tenuous hold on reality ... but then again..maybe just maybe I will...

I always find I am deeply dissapointed if I pick up and re-read a book that very deeply impacted me. Brother's Karamazov absolutely blew me away...but I've never read The Idiot. So I wil try it...I couldn't make my way thorugh Crime and Punishment for some reason. Or was that Tolstoy?

Anyway--the reason I don't participate in book clubs is because I pretty much loathe "book club" books, which usually consists of contemporary literary fiction. Give me a great classic to read, and I'll jump in the discussion. Even a contemporary commerical horror or sci-fi novel might motivate me.