On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Posting agent rejection letters
I just read this blog post by an agent:

http://wyliemerrick.blogspot.com/200...k_archive.html

he says that one of the reasons agents don't comment about rejected queries but just send form rejections is that their rejections have been posted online without their permission on blogs, writer sites or forums.

In another thread in the Goals and Accomplishments forum Jenna wrote about her concern that one agent is publishing excerpts from query letters. I guess htis is the other side of the story. And I can understand this well. I once wrote something about an agent, naming her by name, and out of the blue she actually came and replied to my post; though I hadn't quoted her, I did say negative things about her and mention her by name. That taught me a big lesson.

So it goes both ways. Just as we don't like having out query letters posted openly on agent blogs, I think we need to be careful about what we say here. Most of all, I think we should not mention an agent by name when quoting fromn rejection letters. Agents do google their own names and AW often comes up on page one.

Last edited:

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I would hate to see the rejection letter samples stop- I've learned quite a bit from reading what other people receive. In fact, I was just composing an email to a friend, saying this section is the best place to learn what agents found "not quite right" (when they send more than a form letter.) Deleting the name sounds like the best idea.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say that's reasonable. I don't think it is necessary to post the name of the agent. I do agree that it's helpful and informative to read what other people get in rejections.

Status
Not open for further replies.