My book's topic:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My book is a contemporary one set in New Orleans, taking two families, one white, and one black, during a major hurricane. Yes, it is loosely based on the events of what happened during Katrina, but at the same time, the storm's name NEVER receives any mention throughout the entire story, which could also mean that it could be ANY storm.

The question that I usually get is--why did you write about New Orleans when you've never been there and you live in Michigan? My answer is straight-forward...When I saw all the suffering of the people in their sunken city, my heart dropped and I knew I had to help in any way that I could. I figured the best way I could is to do a story of this nature, and maybe after publication, a small amount of proceeds could go to the American Red Cross in New Orleans.

There's not much racial tension in the story, nor is their room to blame anyone politically for what happened. Their story is a story of friendship, tragedy, and survival. It is in no way, shape, or form trying to ridicule the people of what they went through during that week in the Crescent City, it is to make sure their story is told and that we do not forget those who died.

Anyone that wants to read it, send me an IM, and I'll send you the complete manuscript in its entirety. It is 227 pages long, and is about 125,000 words. I've received nothing but good words from the people who have already read it, and really could use the feedback and insight from a fellow writer.

Thank you for reading this post!

Phoenix

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Phoenix - Why don't you post a chapter in Share your work - Mainstream/Contemporary and give people who want to look at it a taste of what you've written. That way you can also get some critique of things you might want to watch for (for example in your post you used that when it should have been who). You can also make your offer to read the whole book in that post. Most people don't have enough available time to make a committment to read a 125K book but a lot of them will look at a chapter - and then, if it really appeals to them, they're much more inclined to look at the entire work. Why don't you try that. Puma

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
It is 227 pages long, and is about 125,000 words

Have you followed standard formatting? I'd expect a book over 100K to be in the 400 page range. Double spaced.

As to the topic, even if you're not specifying Katrina, people are going to expect that it's a thinly veiled commentary on Katrina and expect you to have really solid research, which may well include feet on the ground. Have you given thought to imagining what would happen if a hurricane hit someplace else, somewhere you have personal knowledge of, and tweaking your story to fit that setting?

JD

Reaction score
Yeah if it was double spaced..obviously it would be DOUBLE the amount of text..probably closer to 450 pages...I decided merely for this book, (which was extremely long already) NOT to use the double-spacing idea...

Yes, JD I gave thought to what if a hurricane hit somewhere else...And I did notice Spike Lee came out with a documentary TODAY about Katrina victims "When The Levees Broke"...Mine is NOT a documentary...it's a story of two families, completely fictitious although you'd swear it really DID happen!

Trust me, it is far from a documentary..the more I think about it, the more I laugh at that sentiment...Can't a person just write because they were moved to do so?

BTW, I live in Michigan...Hurricanes don't hit here at all...if you are skeptic about it, I'll send you the entire manuscript to read...It's already copyrighted and I have nothing to fear..If you don't like it, you can tell me it sucks..it's that simple...

Phoenix

wrinkles

Banned
Reaction score
I have to agree with the others ROTPh. I just don't have time to read the entire ms. Thanks for the offer. I would be happy to look at a chapter on SYW, though. Good luck with it.

Reaction score
That's what most people say..And I have to tell them the same thing...

My book doesn't have CHAPTERS...it breaks away from one family to the other as the story continues. It is not poorly organized at all, and it does not slight either family of the story being told.

Once you read the first 40 pages or so, you really catch the gist of the story. So far, I've had five people read, and everyone has given me 7 or higher on the quality of the story. Most say it's not their kind of story, but once they started, they could not put it down. They just had to see what happens next.

This is only a warm-up for my next novel being started in the next few weeks set here in Detroit. As I get better, my talent will continue to evolve and my writing will do the same. I have nothing to fear.

Phoenix

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I decided merely for this book, (which was extremely long already) NOT to use the double-spacing idea...

You will double-space when you submit it, right? Agents and editors are used to seeing 400-ish page full manuscripts, and when they ask for the first fifty pages, they'll want fifty DOUBLE-spaced pages.

JD

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Rise_Of_The_Phoenix said:
My book doesn't have CHAPTERS...it breaks away from one family to the other as the story continues. It is not poorly organized at all, and it does not slight either family of the story being told.

In that case, you could post an exerpt instead of a chapter, per se.

Once you read the first 40 pages or so, you really catch the gist of the story. So far, I've had five people read, and everyone has given me 7 or higher on the quality of the story. Most say it's not their kind of story, but once they started, they could not put it down. They just had to see what happens next.

The first sentence here is a bit bothersome to me. The problem isn't the sentence structure itself, but the concept. If it takes 40 or 50 pages to get into the story, it might be that you need to cut those 40 or 50 pages and start it where the story/action starts. An editor or agent won't read that much to decide if they want it or not. It has to grab them from the get-go.

This is only a warm-up for my next novel being started in the next few weeks set here in Detroit. As I get better, my talent will continue to evolve and my writing will do the same. I have nothing to fear.

That, IMO, is a very good thing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.