Physical Therapy Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elspeth.celtichearts.com
Does anyone know what kind of physical therapy a young woman would have four months after suffering a broken pelvis and hysterectomy in a car accident?

I read as the pelvic injury heals, strengthening exercises and a conditioning program are prescribed.

What kind of excercises would this be and what kind of conditioning?

The American Physical Therapy Association shows these excercises
http://www.apta.org/AM/Images/APTAIMAGES/ContentImages/ptandbody/hip/Hip.pdf

Are these what my character would be doing? Are there others as well? And how often would she do them?

Thanks so much :)

Paisley

Laurie:

I have some experience in this department. Previous to my own health battles, I worked as a medical transcriptionist through a service with accounts in a major hospital facility. At times, I did get some reports to transcribe in PT/OT (physical therapy/occupational therapy). In addition, my oldest daughter was in a car accident a few years ago where the driver of the vehicle that hit her did so at such a high speed that the impact broke the driver's seat off the car's frame. It caused her to have a fractured hip and fractured coccyx bone (tailbone). She went through months of physical therapy before she was able to walk again without the use of a walker or cane. Her therapy was extensive. At first, she walked with a walker. Later she moved to walking with a wide-base cane. Finally, she ended up with a walking cane before going on her own two legs but she continued to have a limp, which did go away with more therapy.

In addition to what was in the pdf file, she did kegal exercises and some of her exercises were done in our hydrotherapy spa. I bought one a year or so before her wreck for my personal physical therapy. The heated water and having less gravity in water eased her pain since it relieved the weight of her body against the areas damaged in the accident.

BTW, kegal exercises are often prescribed for pregnant women to help in childbirth and are taught in lamaze classes. It is also recommended for older women to help them retain bladder control when incontinence becomes a problem.

If you have other questions, please feel free to PM me. I may think of something I have forgotten to mention here.

Paisley

Paisley

You are so welcome. I'm happy to help. I can't work in the MT world any longer due to health problems but it is nice to help others with the knowledge I acquired while I was in the profession. In addition, I learned first hand when my daughter was going through physical therapy after her car wreck. I have joint problems from multiple broken bones over the years in addition to an autoimmune disease so I've had my share of physical therapy as well, hence the inhome hydrotherapy spa.

Paise

Status
Not open for further replies.