PDA

View Full Version : "Claiming" my blog in Technorati

Kristen King
08-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Okay, so I finally jumped on the Technorati bandwagon, but it's not going well. I thought I did everything I was supposed to, but for some reason it's not letting me "claim" my blog. I linked to my profile in the sidebar, and then I went ahead and linked to it in a new post, and it's still not working. I can't tell if it's me or them. HELP!!!!!!!!!

Kristen

Cath
08-16-2006, 09:04 PM
Kristen, did you copy and paste the text they provide for the link? - it's just that all I see on your blog is a link to Technorati - not the button that appears when their code is included.

The code will look something like this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="<A href="http://embed.technorati.com/embed/itmvq7iixr.js"></script">http://embed.technorati.com/embed/itmvq7iixr.js"></script>

You must have that on your blog for the claim to work.

Kristen King
08-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Huh? Where do I get that from? That's the thing, they say "claim," but I don't know how. Oy vey. Thank goodness for this group.

kk

Cath
08-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Right - using quick claim:

Type everything in including blogger username and password and it will bring you to a "Congratulations, you've claimed your blog" page.

Scroll down to near the bottom - there's a green box right above the "save changes" button - the text you need is in there.

Copy and paste it to where you have the link in your blog and it should go through.

Does that make sense?

Kristen King
08-16-2006, 09:35 PM
I don't even get to anything that gives me an option of entering that info.

I'm signed into my account. I click on "My Blogs."

I see

Your Blogs

You haven't claimed any blogs yet.

Do you have a blog? Claim it now!
Claiming your blog in Technorati allows you to customize the way it's presented here. You can add your photo and description, include it in Blog Finder, and even add cool Technorati tools to your site.
Claim your blog (http://www.technorati.com/account/blogs/claim.html)

I click "Claim your blog."

I see

Claim a Blog

When you register your blog with Technorati you can customize the way Technorati presents it to the world. Add your photo to let people know who they're dealing with, and a description to let them know what your blog is all about.
Tell Us Where To Look

First, enter the URL of your home page to claim it. (example: myblog.bloghost.com)
http://

I enter the URL of my blog, http://inkthinker.blogspot.com

I click "Begin Claim."

I see

There was a problem claiming your blog. Please try again in a few minutes. You can also go to Technorati Help >> (http://technorati.com/help/supportfaq.html#claim) for help claiming your blog.

I go to "Help." I don't know what they're talking about. I pinged. It seemed to work. I don't have a claim code and don't know how to get one. I ran the W3C thing is suggested, but I don't know what any of the results mean.

I feel like an idiot. What am I missing here???

Cath
08-16-2006, 09:40 PM
OK - that's wierd. It should be going to a page that lets you type in your blogger username and password. After that, it goes to the page I mentioned earlier.

Try clearing your cache/cookies etc to see if there's something getting hung up there. Otherwise, I'm a bit stumped. Let me investigate a bit, I'll see what I can find.

Kristen King
08-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Did that, no luck. Okay, it's not just me! Anything you can figure out would be way helpful. Thank you for trying.

Cath
08-16-2006, 09:54 PM
In the name of trying to figure this out, I tried typing in your blog name (and a half-dozen others I can think of) and yours was the only one that came back with an error.

The other thing I would suggest is that you take the Technorati links OUT of your blog and try again. See if there's something in there that's confusing it.

Kristen King
08-16-2006, 09:58 PM
The only reason I put them in in the first place was that it wasn't working without them and I thought it was worth a try. I tried it both ways, no dice. Rar! I guess I'll have to call them or something. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if I figure out what it is.

Cath
08-16-2006, 10:02 PM
OK - I found the problem...

On their help page they say:

Check your Validation
If the Technorati spiders are unable to pick up your feed and/or your blog information, they will not be able to see the claim code.
Possible problems our spiders could be running into are validation errors coming across in your blog HTML code. Try checking the validation of your blog HTML using the W3C Markup Validation Service (validator.w3.org) (http://validator.w3.org/). Correcting errors will help other visitors subscribe your blog as well.

I ran your blog through the validator and it came back with this:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Finkthinker.blogspot.com

There's some kind of code you're using that's not compatible with Technorati.

Looks like a long job. :cry:

Kristen King
08-16-2006, 10:09 PM
:Wha: I don't even know how that's possible since what I'm doing is using a Blogger template and their tools. I'm so, so confused right now. :Huh:

Thanks for trying.

Kristen

JulieB
08-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Are you using any plug-ins on your page to deal with comment spam and the like? If so, turn off all of your plug-ins and try again.

Kristen King
08-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Nope, no plug-ins. I'm like way not creative with this stuff--that's why I picked Blogger, because they make it so I don't have to be. Turns out... :]

Kristen

L M Ashton
08-17-2006, 05:03 AM
Kristen, if it's any consolation, I can't claim one of my blogs either without massive work. It's not just you.

mdin
08-17-2006, 06:30 AM
Go into the template, copy every thing in there and save it somewhere. Then install a new blogger template, which will erase everything in there. Claim the blog. Go into the template and paste your old code back.

bsolah
08-17-2006, 11:54 AM
I think it's something in your sidebar that's doing it. Trying cutting each widget at a time and seeing if it works.

Kristen King
08-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks, quid, that's reassuring.

Navigator, if I install a new template, do I risk losing my content?

bsolah, according to the validation thing Cath and I ran, it's code surrounding posting titles, missing paragraph codes, all kinds of stuff and mostly things that are automatic with the template and completely foreign to me, so I think it's more than the sidebar. :/ I'm going to keep playing with it and see what happens.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.

Kristen

MidnightMuse
08-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Kristen - it could all be the template's fault, as they're saying. In Blogger, if you change your template, you won't lose any posts, it'll just change how things look. Those templates are written by various people and donated, so it's not surprising some of them might have funky code inside, causing you trouble.

Try a new template and then try this all again.

L M Ashton
08-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Yup, Kristen, changing the template is not a problem. It does not affect content in any way except how it appears to someone visiting your site. It's perfectly safe to mess with it, switch it out, etc.

Good luck! :)

mdin
08-17-2006, 10:53 PM
You won't lose any posts, but you will lose all the stuff you added like sidebar widgets and statcounters, which is why you should copy your old template and put it back when you're done.

Kristen King
08-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Awesome. Okay, so I'll copy all of the coding I fiddled with for the sidebar and switch it up, and I'll try Technorati again before I put the sidebar back in. Thanks, guys!

Kristen

Kristen King
08-17-2006, 11:46 PM
Annnnnnnd no luck. I honestly do not care enough about Technorati to waste any more of your or my time on this, although I appreciate all of the help you've offered thus far. Thanks for trying!

Kristen

mdin
08-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Did you completely change the template to something else or did you just take out the sidebar?

Kristen King
08-17-2006, 11:52 PM
I copied my sidebar content to a Word document and completely changed the content. I tried claiming my blog with four different templates in place, and none of them worked. It must be something I'm doing, but I have no idea what.

mdin
08-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Copy the entire template. The whole thing from the very top to the very bottom in the edit template box. Then click on "pick new" and use something like the dots template. You'll get warnings about wanting to pick a new one, etc., and click yes. Republish the entire blog.

Kristen King
08-18-2006, 12:26 AM
Did it, tried it, failed. Waited 10 minutes, repeated. Waited another 10 minutes, repeated. :rant:

Cath
08-18-2006, 12:28 AM
Oh dear oh dear.

Suspect it's not worth the trouble.

Are there any other Technorati-type services out there?

Kristen King
08-18-2006, 12:29 AM
I second that. Seriously, everyone, I'm done with this.

Cath, not sure what the other options are, and at this particular moment I don't care because I'm so annoyed that I can't MAKE THIS WORK. :] I'll poke around eventually, but not today.

kk

L M Ashton
08-18-2006, 04:52 AM
Kristen, that's why I gave up on claiming one of my blogs. Seriously not worth the hoops I'd have to go through. The technorati code is just not compatible with everything and they don't offer alternatives to make it any easier. I completely sympathize.

KellyC
08-18-2006, 05:36 AM
ARe you the Kristen King whose website was a finalist in the Writer's Digest contest? Congrats!! Pretty high honors!

Kristen King
08-18-2006, 07:06 AM
Thanks, quid. Sucks that we're both on Technorati's no-hit list, but hey, at least we're in it together! :]

Kelly, I am one and the same. Thank you VERY much!

Kristen

asorum
08-18-2006, 07:15 AM
Do we have a chance to bring our overwhelming influence to bear on selection of a proper winner (Kristen) for the Writer's Digest website contest? Where do we post the emails, send the letters and make the bribes?

Kristen King
08-18-2006, 07:18 AM
Do we have a chance to bring our overwhelming influence to bear on selection of a proper winner (Kristen) for the Writer's Digest website contest? Where do we post the emails, send the letters and make the bribes?

Aw, man, I wish! Actually, they already picked a winner and announced the name, so probably no dice with the whole leaning on the judges thing. However, you're welcome to e-mail them and complain about how I got robbed and nominate me, en masse, for next year. ;] Actually, you probably shouldn't do that. They'll trace it back to this post and then I'll be blacklisted forever. Their new slogan will be "Hating Kristen King Since 2006."

kk